Test Cricket: England v India

A section to discuss matters not related to Chess in particular.
Paul McKeown

Re: Test Cricket: England v India

Post by Paul McKeown » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:23 pm

btw Alex it was 202 on DL adjustment, after all. Some bosh about "Professional" D/L rather than "Standard" D/L. Need a computer, it seems for the Prof edition... :roll:

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:24 pm

How many overs can the bowlers take now? Want to see the back of Finn and Woakes...

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:25 pm

Crickey! O'Brien really swinging.

Nick Knight gave an interesting view during the rain. Apparently Woakes told Knight is working on his strength and fitness, because he knows he needs to find 5mph more to trouble top batsmen

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:27 pm

Paul McKeown wrote:How many overs can the bowlers take now? Want to see the back of Finn and Woakes...
"Big cloud looming but we have a restart at 5pm 154 will be needed off 28. Woop! No batting Powerplay, three bowlers maximum of six overs." So Woakes is bowled out but Finn has one more. Don't know what would have happened had that came after Woakes had bowled his seventh over!
Last edited by Alex Holowczak on Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:27 pm

Paul Cooksey wrote:Nick Knight gave an interesting view during the rain. Apparently Woakes told Knight is working on his strength and fitness, because he knows he needs to find 5mph more to trouble top batsmen
Shhh, don't tell Alex H. I said he was a medium pace bowler and got roundly disabused of the notion...

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:28 pm

Sir Iron Bottom just agreed short violent run chase suits Ireland. He makes them favourites

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:29 pm

'ollocks, NOB gone

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:30 pm

Paul McKeown wrote:
Paul Cooksey wrote:Nick Knight gave an interesting view during the rain. Apparently Woakes told Knight is working on his strength and fitness, because he knows he needs to find 5mph more to trouble top batsmen
Shhh, don't tell Alex H. I said he was a medium pace bowler and got roundly disabused of the notion...
I define "medium pacer" as the sort of guy who trundles in in limited overs cricket off half a dozen paces with the keeper up to the stumps from the get-go, aiming to do nothing but keep it tight. He doesn't bowl in first-class cricket usually. I agree that Woakes isn't the fastest of bowlers, but he's certainly quicker than medium!

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:33 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote:
Paul McKeown wrote:
I define "medium pacer" as the sort of guy who trundles in in limited overs cricket with the keeper up to the stumps from the get-go, aiming to do nothing but keep it tight. He doesn't bowl in first-class cricket usually. I agree that Woakes isn't the fastest of bowlers, but he's certainly quicker than that!
Knight related the comments of a topclass batsman (whose name I didn't catch because I was typing something pointless about game fee :oops: ) The quote was something like: Woakes makes you decide carefully what to play around offstump, but doesn't have the speed to threaten you and force you onto the back foot.

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:35 pm

The bails are coming off, flippin eck, the wheels are coming off

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:39 pm

KOB gone. I'm off. Well played Ingerlund!

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:05 pm

Ah well, England win by eleven runs. Good bowling, well played, gentlemen! :D

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:08 pm

Well, I think we can say that Trott and Morgan had good games with the bat, all the English bowlers did well too, perhaps except for Borthwick. Finn and Woakes perhaps the pick. Good stuff.

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:10 pm

Oh - and Kieswetter doesn't seem to quite have gotten the hang of this pinch hitting role yet, does he?

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:29 pm

Paul McKeown wrote:Oh - and Kieswetter doesn't seem to quite have gotten the hang of this pinch hitting role yet, does he?
What's the rule that says "The wicket-keeper must open the batting in a pinch-hitting role" in ODIs?

It's Adam Gilchrist's fault, of course, but England seem to be persisting in getting wicket-keepers to open the batting. They tried Prior, Jones and Davies already. Why not use someone else? Warwickshire used Neil Carter for a time. England could use someone like Woakes, Broad, Swann or Bresnan.