IE users have lower IQ

A section to discuss matters not related to Chess in particular.
David Sedgwick

IE users have lower IQ

Post by David Sedgwick » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:58 pm

Here's one for Alex Holowczak and other Firefox enthusiasts:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-14370878.

I find it impossible to accept that I'm stupid because I use IE. The other way round, however,....

Alex Holowczak

Re: IE users have lower IQ

Post by Alex Holowczak » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:05 pm

"They've got IE6 users with an IQ of around eighty. That's borderline deficient, marginally able to cope with the adult world."

Sounds about right. Most IE users would have figured out how to upgrade to the current version (IE9) by now.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:13 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote:"They've got IE6 users with an IQ of around eighty. That's borderline deficient, marginally able to cope with the adult world."

Sounds about right. Most IE users would have figured out how to upgrade to the current version (IE9) by now.
It took me:

a) about ten minutes to do the upgrade;
b) about five minutes to realise that I hated IE9:
c) about an hour to work out how to uninstall it and do the uninstall.

From now on, IE8 is my limit. What does that make the limit of my IQ?

It's amazing what one can find to chat about when waiting for inexplcably delayed pairings.

Richard James

Post by Richard James » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:20 pm

David Sedgwick wrote:
Alex Holowczak wrote:"They've got IE6 users with an IQ of around eighty. That's borderline deficient, marginally able to cope with the adult world."

It took me:

a) about ten minutes to do the upgrade;
b) about five minutes to realise that I hated IE9:
c) about an hour to work out how to uninstall it and do the uninstall.

From now on, IE8 is my limit. What does that make the limit of my IQ?

It's amazing what one can find to chat about when waiting for inexplcably delayed pairings.
I had the same experience.

There's a conflict between IE9 and AceHTML Freeware, which I use for my HTML work. When I have IE9 installed my computer freezes when I try to open a file in AceHTML.

There are also problems with the current version of Firefox so I use a combination of IE8 and Google Chrome.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:35 pm

I recently upgraded to Ubuntu 11.04, and Firefox 4 came with it. Ever since then, Firefox has used a high amount of RAM when watching videos (e.g. iPlayer) online. This is nothing new, but it was to the point where my computer would shut itself down halfway through a Grand Prix because it was overheating. :? I even installed other browsers in the hope of finding one that doesn't do that, but alas it doesn't help. So the problem is with Ubuntu 11.04, and not Firefox. I eagerly await my free OS upgrade in October to version 11.10. Or failing that, I'll just install another free one. How much do you guys pay for Windows again? :wink:

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:39 pm

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:00 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote:That's borderline deficient, marginally able to cope with the adult world."
Sounds like chess players to me.

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:33 pm

You may have to be thick to want to use IE, but the story was a hoax http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-14389430

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:47 am

Sean Hewitt wrote:You may have to be thick to want to use IE, but the story was a hoax http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-14389430
What does it say about one's intelligence if one posts the same article I did two posts ago? :lol:

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:24 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote:
Sean Hewitt wrote:You may have to be thick to want to use IE, but the story was a hoax http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-14389430
What does it say about one's intelligence if one posts the same article I did two posts ago? :lol:
Rather less than it says about the intelligence of someone who posts a link without explaining what it is I suspect :lol:

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:53 pm

Sean Hewitt wrote:Rather less than it says about the intelligence of someone who posts a link without explaining what it is I suspect :lol:
I thought "Alas:" was sufficient explanation to convey that all was not what it seemed. :)