Chess Analogies in Sport

A section to discuss matters not related to Chess in particular.
Kevin Thurlow

Chess Analogies in Sport

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:45 pm

"Kevin was the arbiter and was very patient. " Nick Grey

Stewart Reuben

Re: Chess Analogies in Sport

Post by Stewart Reuben » Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:34 pm

We once had a club the object of which was picking up on references to IAGOCOT. For those uninitiated, 'It's a game of chess out there.' I think the late John Robison disbanded it when the mentions became too frequent. Even my younger nephew, a non-player, used it unwittingly once.
Of course football isn't all that like chess. Fo one thing, our game is clearly one of three halves.

Richard James

Post by Richard James » Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:51 pm

IAGOCOT was coined by the late Mike Fox and used extensively in Addicts' Corner in CHESS over many years. Eventually we wound it down, as Stewart says, because there was just too much.

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:33 pm

Richard James wrote:IAGOCOT was coined by the late Mike Fox and used extensively in Addicts' Corner in CHESS over many years. Eventually we wound it down, as Stewart says, because there was just too much.
True there are too many to count, but I'd still like to mention Sir Trevor Brooking who was completely reliable in using IAGOCOT if it was still nil-nil after 20 minutes or so.

Neill Cooper

Post by Neill Cooper » Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:04 pm

In John Lewis yesterday the TVs were showing a pastiche of chess and Rugby. I think it is the start of Sky's Saturday afternoon Rugby show. No sound so I don't know what is said.

At school our head of sport talks about how much like chess badminton is, and that is why so many of the good badminton players are also chess players.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:45 pm

I played badminton and chess first year at Grammar School, then they moved them on to the same evening - my doubles partner played for Lancs, so I chose chess :roll:
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Ian Kingston

Post by Ian Kingston » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:16 pm

I used to have a Google News search for chess, but so many baseball and NFL reports cropped up I had to add specific exclusions for them.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:28 pm

Croquet is like chess, according to a couple of my club colleagues many years ago. Having played croquet (but not as well as Robert Fulford), I think they were right.
"Kevin was the arbiter and was very patient. " Nick Grey

Nick Murphy

Post by Nick Murphy » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:18 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/17027704

Former Olympic Gold Medallist Kurt Angle:
"I've had to change. I've pulled back on taking chances. I look back and I almost lost a couple of matches because of sheer stupidity and being too aggressive. I won't be taking that approach now, it's going to be like a chess match."
The Voice of Chessbase:
http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=6105
Hendon Chess Club / Golders Green Rapidplay
http://www.goldersgreenchess.blogspot.com
"I don't believe in intuition, but I've got a funny feeling that one day I will..."