card tricks

A section to discuss matters not related to Chess in particular.
PeterWilliams

card tricks

Post by PeterWilliams » Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:46 am

This is most certainly not chess but if anyone is interested, here is a link to my youtube channel which contains some card tricks I have been practicing. While I am nowhere near as good as a professional magician, I do know some sleight of hand :) http://www.youtube.com/user/firestorm819

Are any other members interested in card tricks?

Jonathan Bryant

Re: card tricks

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:33 am

It wasn't card tricks, but I once had a (very small) part in a magic show at West End theatre that ran for about ten performances. I don't really do anything at all now, apart from trying to entertain my niece and nephew (aged nearly 5 and 3).

<Magician Geekiness>I'm not really a fan of the Ghost Bicycle Deck, btw. It's just too weird looking and I suspect people watching might thing it's gaffed and even though it isn't once people get that thought in their heads it's hard to shift. Can't beat the standard blue as far as I can see - although a friend of mine who's a working pro swears by Tallyho-s</Magician Geekiness>

Anyway, keep enjoying the tricks (and stay away from tutorials, if you don't mind).

Krishna Shiatis

Post by Krishna Shiatis » Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:48 am

PeterWilliams wrote:This is most certainly not chess but if anyone is interested, here is a link to my youtube channel which contains some card tricks I have been practicing. While I am nowhere near as good as a professional magician, I do know some sleight of hand :) http://www.youtube.com/user/firestorm819

Are any other members interested in card tricks?
Cool! Have to remember not to play cards with you!

Kiran watched it and said 'how do I know it is Peter?'

I think you should show yourself in the next one!

Regards,

Krishna

PeterWilliams

Post by PeterWilliams » Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:56 am

Thanks Krishna, I would prefer not to show my face, just in case I become famous on youtube and get stampeded in the street :lol: Next time I see you I shall amaze you with one :)

Jonathan, the deck is not a ghost deck, its a Black Tiger deck but I see what you mean. I like to use the Black Tiger deck sometimes because its more visual but I think for youtube I will use regulars most of the time. I won't be doing many tutorials (maybe a few simple ones).

Now if only I could make my opponents chess pieces dissapear :D

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:58 am

Krishna Shiatis wrote: Kiran watched it and said 'how do I know it is Peter?'

I think you should show yourself in the next one!

Agreed. Unfortunately, the 'camera-pointing-at-the-hands-and-cards' is the typical youtube style.

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:00 am

PeterWilliams wrote:Jonathan, the deck is not a ghost deck, its a Black Tiger deck but I see what you mean. I like to use the Black Tiger deck sometimes because its more visual ....
Is it? Shows how long it's been since I've been in a magic shop!

Since we're talking magic who are your favourite magicians?
Last edited by Jonathan Bryant on Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

PeterWilliams

Post by PeterWilliams » Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:02 am

Another problem with showing my face is I don't have much room to do the card tricks at the moment and I would have to move the camera up to show my face and then down again to continue the trick (its quite difficult to balance the camera lol).

Krishna Shiatis

Post by Krishna Shiatis » Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:55 am

PeterWilliams wrote: Next time I see you I shall amaze you with one :)
Thank you - I shall look forward to it. :D

Although I should warn you, if Rohan and Kiran are with me, they are like 'midget ninja card police' and will be watching your every move. They may make you do the trick several times or even worse show you some of theirs!

I must admit though, it can be quite entertaining sometimes as they do spend much of their time dropping the cards and going wrong - you'll have to give them tips on how to become more polished 8) .

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:24 pm

"They may make you do the trick several times "

No way - you never repeat the effect immediately, as the audience has a better chance to spot what you're doing.

Still, I've watched some professionals and known exactly what they are doing and still cannot spot it!
"Kevin was the arbiter and was very patient. " Nick Grey

PeterWilliams

Post by PeterWilliams » Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:33 pm

"who are your favourite magician" probably Michael Vincent and Dynamo. Krishna I look forward to seeing Kiran and Rohan's trick :lol: