Football Premiership

A section to discuss matters not related to Chess in particular.
Carol Williams

Football Premiership

Post by Carol Williams » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:22 pm

Nice win for Chelsea tonight :cry:

James Byrne

Re: Football Premiership

Post by James Byrne » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:59 pm

Last edited by James Byrne on Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alan Burke

Post by Alan Burke » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:14 am

Why is it that a footballer can receive the very slightest of touches from a member of the other team and falls down and rolls around as though he has been shot, yet a rugby player can be heavily tackled to the ground by several opponents and just stands up and plays on ?

Everyone knows (players, managers, spectators, authorities) the footballers are just trying to cheat, yet nothing is done about it. Everyone has seen situations where a player has fallen to the floor pretending to be injured when the opponents are in possession, yet remarkably jumps to his feet as soon as his side get the ball

The one rule I would bring into football from rugby is to allow the physio onto the pitch whilst the match is still going on - that way the players would have to get up and carry on instead of pretending to be injured.

It should be renamed the Barclay's Primadonaship

PeterWilliams

Post by PeterWilliams » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:53 am

Good penalty by Frank Lampard. Chelsea played very well.

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:30 pm

James Byrne wrote:I'm a Man United fan and was obviously rooting for Chelsea tonight, glad they won, also Tottenham losing 2 1 to Stoke yesterday was useful. Apart from going out of Champs league been a good week for United. Hopefully Arsenal will do us a favour on Sunday and beat City so we can stay top after we beat QPR.
You're not worried about Chelsea and Arsenal regaining their form while many of your players are injured, and the healthy ones are playing on Channel 5?

Carol Williams

Post by Carol Williams » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:05 pm

I guess the key as in everything is passion, the weather was really bad and Chelsea had to win - Frank scored and saluted the crowd and they saluted him back - that meant everything to both.

I really hope Arsenal get a result on Sunday but my husband tips Man City to win the Championship - if they do then he is cooking all the dinners for 2012!

Alan Burke

Post by Alan Burke » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:47 am

The only competition that a Chelsea might win this season is "Strictly Come Dancing" !

Come to think of it; those on a football field prance about like over-paid ballerinas. (Sorry to insult any ballerinas out there !)

James Byrne

Post by James Byrne » Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:26 am

Last edited by James Byrne on Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:09 pm

The 6-1 made lots of people think that MCFC were invincible titans. In reality, they are good but not *that* good (as both Monday night and the CL group stage proved) They could well win the league this season, but that would be as much to do with the fact there are no (other) outstanding teams right now :?
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Phil Neatherway

Post by Phil Neatherway » Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:09 pm

also Tottenham losing 2 1 to Stoke yesterday was useful.
Useful? Outrageous, I call it! 5 clearly wrong decisions and each would have made a difference to the score.

And in response to Alan Burke, let's not forget poor Nemanja Vidic, among other serious injuries this season.

Alan Burke

Post by Alan Burke » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:46 am

Phil Neatherway ... yes, I agree there are bad injuries, but they are very few and far between in comparison to the number of times that players feign injuries to try and get their fellow professionals into trouble. That is just blatant cheating - and are you happy that you pay to watch such actions every week ?

Everyone has seen a player deliberately fall down to try and get a penalty, yet if one is given it is always the referee who gets the blame and not the player who has cheated - they are just overpaid actors.

George Szaszvari

Post by George Szaszvari » Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:32 pm

James Byrne wrote:I'm a Man United fan and was obviously rooting for Chelsea tonight, glad they won, also Tottenham losing 2 1 to Stoke yesterday was useful. Apart from going out of Champs league been a good week for United. Hopefully Arsenal will do us a favour on Sunday and beat City so we can stay top after we beat QPR.
Speaking of QPR I was surprised to read that manager Neil Warnock is one of only four English managers in the premiership nowadays. How times have changed!

PS: a QPR supporter who attended games many decades ago I was taken aback just several years past, after having migrated, to start receiving emails from QPR FC... :? No problem, since it is nice to see the "R"s back in the limelight, and it brings back nostalgic memories, but I don't normally engage in football forum exchanges so believe that it was probably a chessplayer friend/associate who gave them my email address. Come on, own up!

George Szaszvari

Post by George Szaszvari » Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:46 pm

Alan Burke wrote:Phil Neatherway ... yes, I agree there are bad injuries, but they are very few and far between in comparison to the number of times that players feign injuries to try and get their fellow professionals into trouble. That is just blatant cheating - and are you happy that you pay to watch such actions every week ?

Everyone has seen a player deliberately fall down to try and get a penalty, yet if one is given it is always the referee who gets the blame and not the player who has cheated - they are just overpaid actors.
Yeah, too right, it spoiled the game for me and a lot of older football enthusiasts when this diving and histrionics problem became endemic in the 70s and 80s with mainly the West German national team and the Italians. The trouble is, although clearly cheating, it appears to be an accepted tactic everywhere in soccer nowadays. The more money the less sportsmanship, I guess.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:17 pm

George Szaszvari wrote:No problem, since it is nice to see the "R"s back in the limelight, and it brings back nostalgic memories, but I don't normally engage in football forum exchanges so believe that it was probably a chessplayer friend/associate who gave them my email address. Come on, own up!
My e-mail address had been signed up for some tremendously dodgy things at secondary school. All just messing around of course. If you've got something you're vaguely interested in, you're lucky!

George Szaszvari

Post by George Szaszvari » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:35 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote: My e-mail address had been signed up for some tremendously dodgy things at secondary school. All just messing around of course. If you've got something you're vaguely interested in, you're lucky!
Hmm, I now count myself lucky that microchip technology was in its infancy when I was at secondary school.