Robin van Persie

A section to discuss matters not related to Chess in particular.
Carol Williams

Robin van Persie

Post by Carol Williams » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:17 pm

Just when I thought things couldn't get any worse :x

Alex Holowczak

Re: Robin van Persie

Post by Alex Holowczak » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:30 pm

The big problem with this is, he was the easiest possible pick for a Fantasy Football team; he scores that many points that despite the cost, he's worth it on a per £1m basis.

By going to a new team, he's likely to spend a few weeks getting into his stride, and will be far less prolific than he was at Arsenal simply because they'll play in a different system. Man Utd have far more depth up front, so he might not be an automatic pick for the likes of Wigan at home.

Time for a rethink of my Fantasy Football strategy. :(

Eoin Devane

Post by Eoin Devane » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:34 pm

There are still grounds for optimism. With Podolski, Giroud, and Cazorla in and only RVP out, I think we certainly are in a stronger position than this time last season.

In the past, Wenger has always been pretty good at selling players at the right time and getting good fees for them. This may be the case again here - £24 million for a 29 year old with only one year left on his contract, a consistent history of injuries, and only one full world-class season under his belt strikes me as a pretty decent piece of business!

Carol Williams

Post by Carol Williams » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:42 pm

Eoin Devane wrote:There are still grounds for optimism. With Podolski, Giroud, and Cazorla in and only RVP out, I think we certainly are in a stronger position than this time last season.

In the past, Wenger has always been pretty good at selling players at the right time and getting good fees for them. This may be the case again here - £24 million for a 29 year old with only one year left on his contract, a consistent history of injuries, and only one full world-class season under his belt strikes me as a pretty decent piece of business!

True - but there is a lot to be said for experience and I think RVP has a couple of years at top level left in him and maybe it would have served Arsenal better to have kept him - I don't think Arsene wanted to let him go and probably wanted to keep him to help develop the younger talent - something that Arsene has always been good at.

I thought the figure was £22 million but you may be right

Eoin Devane

Post by Eoin Devane » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:02 pm

Carol Williams wrote:True - but there is a lot to be said for experience and I think RVP has a couple of years at top level left in him and maybe it would have served Arsenal better to have kept him - I don't think Arsene wanted to let him go and probably wanted to keep him to help develop the younger talent - something that Arsene has always been good at.
The three we've brought in are experienced international players as well, though, so we're not really losing too much in that department.
Carol Williams wrote:I thought the figure was £22 million but you may be right
BBC are saying £22.5 million plus £1.5 million dependent on United winning either the PL or the CL in the next four years. Whatever the true figure, I think it's imperative that we reinvest it in the squad.

Phil Neatherway

Post by Phil Neatherway » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:37 pm

I heard that RvP is suffering frm a bad back because he was carrying Arsenal last season.

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:34 pm

Wouldn't it be cheaper all round for Arsenal to merge with Spurs? Just asking

Phil Neatherway

Post by Phil Neatherway » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:40 pm

Personally, I think it would be better if the Woolwich Wanderers moved back to where they came from.

David Gilbert

Post by David Gilbert » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:48 pm

David Robertson wrote:Wouldn't it be cheaper all round for Arsenal to merge with Spurs? Just asking
Excellent idea. Newcastle could join up with Sunderland, Birmingham with Aston Villa, Sheffield United with Sheffield Wednesday, Manchester City and Manchester United, err Brighton and Crystal Palace, and Millwall with......... gulp!

Rotherham Town did previously amalgamate with Rotherham County to form the mighty Rotherham United. It just goes to show!

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:51 pm

Manchester North End was more creative (Bury, Rochdale and Oldham)
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Phil Neatherway

Post by Phil Neatherway » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:54 pm

Not to mention Maxwell's Thames Valley Royals idea.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:16 pm

"Excellent idea. Newcastle could join up with Sunderland, Birmingham with Aston Villa, Sheffield United with Sheffield Wednesday, Manchester City and Manchester United, err Brighton and Crystal Palace, and Millwall with......... gulp!"

You've forgotten Tranmere, Liverpool and Everton. Some of the above mentioned teams should merge with continental teams surely, bearing in mind where the players come from?
"Kevin was the arbiter and was very patient. " Nick Grey

James Byrne

Post by James Byrne » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:14 pm

Last edited by James Byrne on Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eoin Devane

Post by Eoin Devane » Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:34 pm

Carol Williams wrote:Just when I thought things couldn't get any worse :x
Things just did: http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archiv ... a-for-song

This leaves a big hole in the squad compared with last year. Given that we have made the decision to sell Song, rather than being forced into it by a contract situation, I presume that Wenger is confident that he can bring in the players to fill this gap. I'm not yet convinced that the likes of Diaby and Ramsey are of sufficient quality to be starting every week.

The talk is of a loan move for Sahin from Real Madrid. He would definitely be a good signing, though he did have his injury problems last season. Ideally, I'd like to see Sahin plus a proper defensive midfielder such as M'Vila. Song gave a bit of "bite" to our midfield, which is something that we need in addition to the technical ability.

Greg Breed

Post by Greg Breed » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:16 pm

Kevin Thurlow wrote:"Excellent idea. Newcastle could join up with Sunderland, Birmingham with Aston Villa, Sheffield United with Sheffield Wednesday, Manchester City and Manchester United, err Brighton and Crystal Palace, and Millwall with......... gulp!"

You've forgotten Tranmere, Liverpool and Everton. Some of the above mentioned teams should merge with continental teams surely, bearing in mind where the players come from?
Queen's Park Cardiff would be explosive although rather difficult to find a home ground!
Hatch End A Captain (Hillingdon League)
Controller (Hillingdon League)