Page 1 of 2

The English language

Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:35 pm
by Paul Douglass
David Pardoe wrote:Alan, I appreciate what you are saying regarding meetings, and they are often under severe time pressure to get through the business.
However, individual members should be able to raise motions at these meetings, independantly of clubs.
Sometimes a person may wish to raise a motion that his club might not be interested in, but might nevertheless benefit the league. I was on a number of committees and an active organiser, so things were occuring to me that I felt were worth raising.
Also, the process of taking things through clubs, committees, AGMs, etc.. can be tedius and long winded, by which time people can loose interest. I`ve known these things go on for years and get no-where. I`d gone dirctly to the league secretary, who asked me to draft the motions, which I did. Somehow they got mixed up and the wording became jumbled and some motions ended up mis drafted.
There is also an attidute problem with some chess bodies. Its a case of `who do these plebs think they are, and what do they know about chess. These ordinary members should get back into there boxes and concentrate on paying there subs....should be seen and not heard.. What a pig ignorant attitude.
I was helping drive change through the MCF council, and pressing the MCCU to get there finger out and sort a few things out. Unfortunately others seemed more interested in simply shoving a spanner in the works.
As for the notion that I dont communicate...I was one of the most prolific communicators in northern chess, and recieved a good deal of thanks from various people for keeping them informed.
Yes, process and procedure can be a tricky hurdle, and oversights can occur.
As for Micks comment that I didnt discuss things with the county captains. For most of the time I was the county captains.
A busy mother makes slothful daughters.
I think we can extend this quote to sons as well.

Have you ever been introduced to a spell checker? They're useful functions you know!

If you observe your message before you submit to this forum you can observe any individual spelling issues (they tend to be underlined with red wavy lines), or in your case the majority of the message. Perhaps its wise to utilise such clever functions we've got at our disposal now.

I think your attitude (not attidute) is appalling - you come across as just a petty little sniper who's been on various committees spouting a lot of hot air with no real purpose. Just a lot of irrelevant cant (yes cant) with no real purpose. The real volunteers I speak of actually allow chess activity. I.E. Run congresses/tournaments. This is not idiotic just someone who is grateful (sorry I mean greatful) for the hundreds of organisers and arbiters (yes they're not power-crazed as such formites/termites believe) who spend time out of their otherwise busy lives allow ordinary chess players just get on with playing chess. They don't spout out some stupid rules or care who plays in what county in what year - for goodness sakes who cares - I know some players from Manchester so I know you're not representative of that population - thank goodness or you may has well turn the lights off in regards to the playing of chess in the MCCU if that's the case!

Apart from that David, I find you an engaging, interesting and intelligent individual! :lol:

Re: Another election

Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:53 pm
by IanDavis
If you don't like reading what somebody says, then why don't you censor them? If you really must persist in pulling people up on their standard of written English, at least learn to distinguish between its and it's. Otherwise you just look like a petty and childish fool. It's almost as bad as describing somebody as analphabet, due to the quality of their typed English.

Carl, can you ring the school bell please?

Re: Another election

Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:38 pm
by David Gilbert
Paul Douglass wrote: Have you ever been introduced to a spell checker? They're useful functions you know! Just a lot of irrelevant cant (yes cant) with no real purpose.
In the 1960s I wrote to a big football club - won’t say which one - asking if I could play for them and could they send me some free tickets. They replied in just two words “YOU CANT”. But obviously they didn’t have spell checkers in those days.

Re: Another election

Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:25 am
by Carl Hibbard
IanDavis wrote:Carl, can you ring the school bell please?
This is all getting rather childish and I would ask that everyone try to keep to the subject otherwise I will have to close the topic and consider some level of moderation to those offenders :roll:

Re: Another election

Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:12 am
by Paul Douglass
IanDavis wrote:If you don't like reading what somebody says, then why don't you censor them? If you really must persist in pulling people up on their standard of written English, at least learn to distinguish between its and it's. Otherwise you just look like a petty and childish fool. It's almost as bad as describing somebody as analphabet, due to the quality of their typed English.

Carl, can you ring the school bell please?
Fair play - forgot the quote - that's fine.

But one missing quote out of a message isn't bad (there you go - I do know how to use quotes).

But the quality of spelling and grammar in some posters is atrocious. I'm sorry but there's no need for that in this day and age. My spelling/grammar is not perfect but at least I do actually check. When you're putting arguments across and your message is littered with "..." and spelling mistakes it just takes that bit longer and its also rather annoying. Also the main culprits (David Pardoe being one of the main instigators) don't seem to heed any advice given. My five year old daughter is currently doing phonetics and how we form basic words. Perhaps some of the instigators could do no worse than go back to school!

Embedded in my previous message about spelling/grammar was actually an argument against David in his cant (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cant_(language). The gospel of David Pardoe.

Re: Another election

Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:10 pm
by Bobjones
Quote? I think you mean apostrophe. And again you've missed one in its.

Re: Another election

Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:07 pm
by Neil Graham
David Gilbert wrote:
In the 1960s I wrote to a big football club - won’t say which one - asking if I could play for them and could they send me some free tickets. They replied in just two words “YOU CANT”. But obviously they didn’t have spell checkers in those days.
Lucky it wasn't John Terry replying! :shock:

As to the original discussion relating to the Stockport League vote - their voting power couldn't influence the election of Roger Edwards one way or the other; the thread seems to have engendered a lot of hot air about how their vote was administered.

Re: Another election

Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:43 pm
by Paul Douglass
Bobjones wrote:Quote? I think you mean apostrophe. And again you've missed one in its.
That's a fair point but I simply refer to it as quote (single quote ' or double quote ").

As I stated in my previous posts, none us are perfect, but are you honestly stating that reading any of David Pardoe's posts is a pleasurable experience? The odd typo/spelling mistake is fine - human nature but his posts are littered. My sister, who is a head of English in a secondary school, would have a field day!

I'm sure the guy has some arguments (not many but some) in his posts but any substance they do have, in my opinion, are taken away with his Pardoeisms. Our resident telegram machine!

In terms of the rules regarding the Stockport league, its nothing to do with me, so I shall refrain from any more posting in this particular thread. :|

Re: Another election

Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:47 pm
by IM Jack Rudd
Paul Douglass wrote:
Bobjones wrote:Quote? I think you mean apostrophe. And again you've missed one in its.
That's a fair point but I simply refer to it as quote (single quote ' or double quote ").
Except that an apostrophe and a single-quote are two entirely different punctuation marks that happen to look the same. You'll cause unnecessary confusion by referring to one as if it were the other.

Re: Another election

Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:52 pm
by Matthew Turner
PLEASE, 'please', "please" can we stop with all this talk about grammar. There are lots and lots of people who are nervous about their level of literacy. Continued references to grammar is going to put people off making a valuable contribution to this forum and really isn't in the interests of chess more generally.

Re: Another election

Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:54 am
by Dan O'Dowd
IM Jack Rudd wrote:
Paul Douglass wrote:
Bobjones wrote:Quote? I think you mean apostrophe. And again you've missed one in its.
That's a fair point but I simply refer to it as quote (single quote ' or double quote ").
Except that an apostrophe and a single-quote are two entirely different punctuation marks that happen to look the same. You'll cause unnecessary confusion by referring to one as if it were the other.
Which is neither constructive to the thread nor on-topic. Being frank it's this sort of shenanigans degeneration of threads in this site that makes me and doubtless others despair at times - especially coming as here from a respected site mod and talking head who is very chessly helpful. If something isn't clear to someone they can ask for a clarification of meaning. But since this isn't the English Correcting Forum, can we move on?

Re: Another election

Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:27 am
by Ernie Lazenby
This thread has seriously lost the plot. The one thing that really matters is the message not the method of delivery. Endless discussion about grammar/spelling mistakes is pointless and does nothing to help our game and the associated politics. There are more important matters to resolve before chess gets out of the gutter.

Re: Another election

Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:06 pm
by Greg Breed
Martyn Jacobs wrote:One example - I have been using logic for my whole life - I have always looked at things deeply and cognitively - but sometimes, after explaining an idea to some whippersnapper who has just completed a month's course in logic, they start quoting logical fallacies which they've just learned!!
They think they know everything, just because they have completed one course!!
This reminds me very much of that scene in "Good Will Hunting" in the bar where Matt Damon stands up for his friend (and co-writer of the film, Ben Afleck) against a university student spouting stuff from books as his own!

The "of" for "have" issue really grates on me. It's because they hear could've, would've, should've and interpret the end as "of". Grammar would teach them that the verb is "to have" and could/would/should is a conjugation. "Of" is not a verb and therefore cannot be used in that sense. /endofrant

Re: The English language

Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:46 pm
by Carl Hibbard
Can I lock a thread for being boring?

Please :shock:

Re: The English language

Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:18 am
by Kevin Thurlow
"Can I lock a thread for being boring?"

It's a complete mystery why you have locked some other threads, so why not?