Test Cricket Elo rankings

A section to discuss matters not related to Chess in particular.
Jonathan Bryant

Re: Test Cricket Elo rankings

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:40 pm

Indeed. First day was washed out. Essex got 280 odd on the second day and skittled Surrey in the last hour. Surrey then batted all day the next day finishing on something like 101-2. Think some of that last morning was lost too.

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:48 pm

Matt Mackenzie wrote:
Jonathan Bryant wrote:When I was a lad I saw Essex bowl out Surrey for 14
And the game ended as...........yes you guessed it, a draw :lol:
Not a patch on this match though. Why 2 innings cricket is the finest game on earth.

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:11 pm

Not a patch, indeed. When I began watching Warwickshire, as a kid in the early/mid 60s, the old guys still spoke of this match in disbelief. If I recall correctly, an elderly neighbour who first took me to sit with the members in the Pavillion, may even have witnessed this match. Eighty years of separation now! I learned that nothing could be assumed; no match was ever won until the 20th wicket had fallen. The old guys got twitchy if a tail started wagging.

With good reason. At 177-6 before lunch on Day 2, Hampshire were still well behind. Warwickshire had every reason to believe it would be tucked away by tea. To concede 350 runs for the last four wickets was, it must be said, disappointing. Thereafter, to lose the match as well is cause for mental breakdown.

The scars live on today. Hampshire thwarted Warwickshire's championship bid on the final day in 2011; and stymied their League & Cup 'double' off the final ball in 2012.

Malcolm Clarke

Post by Malcolm Clarke » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:32 pm

With respect to the Hampshire v Warwickshire match of 1922 I first heard about this match when John Arlott (who at the time lived in Hampshire talking about it during the tea interval once).

I used to go to the same church as George Brown's daughter who died a few years ago. In preparing for her funeral it was noted that George's best cricketing years were around the time of his daughter's birth.

I did look up a Cricket Records book I had which gave Hampshire's first class record against Warwickshire as being P117 W33 D37 L47 abandoned. However this book only went up to 1980 and I am sure that there is more up to date information available on the Internet.

With respect to Tony Greig, I first heard of him when he played in an International Cavaliers match during the late 1960's. The International Cavaliers team used to play against first class counties in a televised oned day match on a Sunday and they attracted some good quality players.