New Year Honours List

A section to discuss matters not related to Chess in particular.
Phil Makepeace
Posts: 220
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:46 pm

New Year Honours List

Post by Phil Makepeace » Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:09 am


User avatar
Christopher Kreuzer
Posts: 7018
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:34 am
Location: London

Re: New Year Honours List

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:14 am

Phil Makepeace wrote:Spotted:

Mike Truran OBE
That is:

"Michael Cyril TRURAN - For voluntary services to Bioscience. (Witney, Oxfordshire)"

Is that the same as the chess Mike Truran of the 4NCL? On a brief spot of Googling, it does look the same. (*)

Congratulations!

(Nothing chess-related came up on a search of the New Year Honours List.)

For those who prefer html links:

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales ... 6-32509088

(*) I can never be sure whether Phil is posting seriously or not!

Phil Makepeace
Posts: 220
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:46 pm

Re: New Year Honours List

Post by Phil Makepeace » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:16 am

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:I can never be sure whether Phil is posting seriously or not!
That's my edge.

Neil Graham
Posts: 1137
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:36 pm

Re: New Year Honours List

Post by Neil Graham » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:24 pm


(Nothing chess-related came up on a search of the New Year Honours List.)
Nothing unusual there then. We came below Bridge, playing the bagpipes in Northern Ireland, Scottish Country Dancing and church music in Worcestershire which were just a few of the things honoured.

And congrats to Mike btw.

Jonathan Bryant
Posts: 3100
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 3:54 pm

Re: New Year Honours List

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:17 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote: "Michael Cyril TRURAN - For voluntary services to Bioscience. (Witney, Oxfordshire)"
MCTOBE

David Robertson
Posts: 1967
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:24 pm
Contact:

Re: New Year Honours List

Post by David Robertson » Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:26 pm

From the Guardian

"...honoured for their contribution to the more unusual activities of British music hall, bell ringing, beekeeping, rope making, stone and wood carving and even (sic) the card game Bridge."

I bet they just loved that 'even' over at the EBU.

But congratulations to MCTOBE. Pity it wasn't for his CBE-standard efforts with the 4NCL (or for his KBE-standard efforts on the ECF Finance Ctte)

Jonathan Bryant
Posts: 3100
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 3:54 pm

Re: New Year Honours List

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:22 pm

David Robertson wrote: ... or for his KBE-standard efforts on the ECF Finance Ctte)
A Keene of the British Empire??

David Robertson
Posts: 1967
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:24 pm
Contact:

Re: New Year Honours List

Post by David Robertson » Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:37 pm

My mistake; should be NBE

Neil Graham
Posts: 1137
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:36 pm

Re: New Year Honours List

Post by Neil Graham » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:12 pm

Perusal of the Queen's Birthday Honours List just announced again ignores chess as far as I can see.

However if you were a beekeeper (again), a pig welfare worker or indeed a bus user you again featured. No doubt board members may find other equally odd honours.

Neil Graham
Posts: 1137
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:36 pm

Re: New Year Honours List

Post by Neil Graham » Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:24 am

Neil Graham wrote:Perusal of the Queen's Birthday Honours List just announced again ignores chess as far as I can see.

However if you were a beekeeper (again), a pig welfare worker or indeed a bus user you again featured. No doubt board members may find other equally odd honours.
I've not had time to peruse the 2014 list yet. Are there any chess honours in there? My guess is not.

However I note from the BBC headlines someone has received an MBE for services to bell ringing in Norfolk.

Addn - I'd missed David Sedgwick's posting on the main board - I take it that means nothing for British chess - just chess in Gibraltar?

Alex Holowczak
Posts: 8495
Joined: Sat May 30, 2009 5:18 pm
Location: Oldbury, Worcestershire
Contact:

Re: New Year Honours List

Post by Alex Holowczak » Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:26 am

Neil Graham wrote:Addn - I'd missed David Sedgwick's posting on the main board - I take it that means nothing for British chess - just chess in Gibraltar?
Depends how you define "British". :twisted:

John Upham
Posts: 4150
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:29 am
Location: Cove, Hampshire, England.
Contact:

Re: New Year Honours List

Post by John Upham » Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:31 am

Alex Holowczak wrote: Depends how you define "British". :twisted:
How do you define it Alex?

Alex Holowczak
Posts: 8495
Joined: Sat May 30, 2009 5:18 pm
Location: Oldbury, Worcestershire
Contact:

Re: New Year Honours List

Post by Alex Holowczak » Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:43 am

John Upham wrote:
Alex Holowczak wrote: Depends how you define "British". :twisted:
How do you define it Alex?
One might reasonably include Gibraltar as British, given:
(1) It is a British Overseas Territory
(2) People who are born there are British citizens
(3) They are entitled to play in the British Championships (relevant here only because chess is the context).

Roger de Coverly
Posts: 17304
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:51 pm

Re: New Year Honours List

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:50 am

Alex Holowczak wrote: (3) They are entitled to play in the British Championships (relevant here only because chess is the context)
You could add that because of FIDE's rules on what now qualifies a National body to become a member of FIDE, that Gibraltar Chess organisations and individuals have to become members of the English Chess Federation or at the very least be processed by them. I'm aware the Gibraltar Football Association recently became a member of UEFA, but FIDE requires that a territory has or could have an Olympic Committee in its own name.

Sean Hewitt
Posts: 2190
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:18 pm
Contact:

Re: New Year Honours List

Post by Sean Hewitt » Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:24 am

Alex Holowczak wrote:
John Upham wrote:
Alex Holowczak wrote: Depends how you define "British". :twisted:
How do you define it Alex?
One might reasonably include Gibraltar as British, given:
(1) It is a British Overseas Territory
(2) People who are born there are British citizens
(3) They are entitled to play in the British Championships (relevant here only because chess is the context).
How about
(4) They vote in European elections as part of Great Britain (specifically, South West England)

Post Reply