Good/Bad English

A section to discuss matters not related to Chess in particular.
David Gilbert

Re: Good/Bad English

Post by David Gilbert » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:33 am

Richard James wrote: Essentially, yes, but, for instance, if you wanted a smaller helping of mash you'd ask for less potatoes rather than fewer potatoes, because you're talking about mass rather than number.
Funny I would always use mash potato as singular so it terms of quantity I'd ask for less mash potato, but what do I know?

Richard James

Post by Richard James » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:39 am

David Gilbert wrote:
Richard James wrote: Essentially, yes, but, for instance, if you wanted a smaller helping of mash you'd ask for less potatoes rather than fewer potatoes, because you're talking about mass rather than number.
Funny I would always use mash potato as singular so it terms of quantity I'd ask for less mash potato, but what do I know?
Yes, you could do that as well: less mash or less mash(ed) potato would also be fine.

Greg Breed

Post by Greg Breed » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:46 pm

It sounds to me like you could go around in circles with this topic. Mash is made up from more than one potato (usually) and ends up as a single lump. So it goes from plural to singular. You could ask for "less mashed potato" or "fewer mashed potatoes" and both would be correct. I imagine most people would use the former though.
Hatch End A Captain (Hillingdon League)
Controller (Hillingdon League)

Brendan O'Gorman

Post by Brendan O'Gorman » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:55 pm

What this thread needs is less pedantry and fewer pedants.