Football incidents

A section to discuss matters not related to Chess in particular.
Neil Graham

Re: Football incidents

Post by Neil Graham » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:18 pm

Phil Jagielka substituted as goalkeeper for Sheffield United, notably against Arsenal in December 2006 after an injury to Paddy Kenny. United won the match 1-0 with Jagielka keeping a clean sheet. It was the practice of the United manager, Neil Warnock, not to put a keeper on the bench as he was confident of Jagielka's ability.

A trick question often found in quizzes - which England captain only played in Division Four of the Football League (or similar). The answer is Ian Botham, who played a number of games for Scunthorpe United.

Finally I was at a match last year where the goalkeeper scored. I was right behind the goal where the Wrexham keeper was standing - very amusing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pnpgyg9yNuU

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:40 am

Colombian goalkeeper Rene Higuita (he of Scorpian kick fame) scored 41 goals in his playing career, including 3 goals in full internationals!

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:40 am

Colombian goalkeeper Rene Higuita (he of Scorpian kick fame) scored 41 goals in his playing career, including 3 goals in full internationals!

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:48 pm

IM Jack Rudd wrote:The record is 111.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_go ... oalkeepers
It was worth opening that link just to see the name of the Peruvian keeper: Johnny Vegas Fernández :shock:

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:12 pm

Neil Graham wrote:Phil Jagielka substituted as goalkeeper for Sheffield United, notably against Arsenal in December 2006 after an injury to Paddy Kenny. United won the match 1-0 with Jagielka keeping a clean sheet. It was the practice of the United manager, Neil Warnock, not to put a keeper on the bench as he was confident of Jagielka's ability.

A trick question often found in quizzes - which England captain only played in Division Four of the Football League (or similar). The answer is Ian Botham, who played a number of games for Scunthorpe United.

Finally I was at a match last year where the goalkeeper scored. I was right behind the goal where the Wrexham keeper was standing - very amusing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pnpgyg9yNuU
Ian Botham wasn't the only England Captain to play for Scunthorpe - there is also Kevin Keegan and Ray Clemence.
Clemence was originally a midfielder, but when a Scunthorpe scout went to see his junior team play the goalkeeper got taken out. Clemence had to take over in goal and there it all started.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:37 pm

John Clarke

Post by John Clarke » Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:06 pm

Alistair Campbell wrote:I have seen outfield players in goal (but never a goalkeeper as an outfield player).
It's happened in the FA Cup Final at least once. In 1957, Manchester United keeper Ray Wood was concussed and received a fractured cheekbone after a collision with Aston Villa winger Peter McParland. Jackie Blanchflower took over in goal and United continued with ten men (no subs allowed in those days). Wood later rejoined the game as an outfield player, though he was little more than a passenger. And he returned to goal for the last few minutes when United, by then 1-2 down, were pressing hard but ultimately unsuccessfully for an equaliser.
"The chess-board is the world ..... the player on the other side is hidden from us ..... he never overlooks a mistake, or makes the smallest allowance for ignorance."
(He doesn't let you resign and start again, either.)

David Gilbert

Post by David Gilbert » Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:41 pm

And I seem to remember David James playing in an outfield position for Manchester City, although I can't remember the circumstances.

Alistair Campbell

Post by Alistair Campbell » Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:58 pm

LawrenceCooper wrote:An unusual free-kick routine: http://sportgeza.hu/futball/2013/09/25/ ... os_szabad/
That reminds me a little of John Robertson’s goal for Scotland v New Zealand at the 1982 World Cup.

Regarding goalkeepers playing outfield, I played golf once with former goal-keeper Ian Westwater, who got a brief runaround up front v Airdrieonians in 1996 or thereabouts, but I can’t recall him having much to say on the topic. That was in the days when teams were allowed 3 substitutes - I think the law had been changed in the early 90s to allow teams to name and use 3 substitutes (whereas the rule had allowed only 2 previously), the intention presumably being to allow a team to name a spare keeper. Of course, a goalkeeper rarely seems to get injured (maybe 1 in a 100 games?) so teams began just to name another outfield player. The risk of such a strategy became apparent when Jim Leighton got his jaw broken in the 2nd minute of the 2000 Scottish Cup final and Aberdeen were forced to put an outfield player in goal, with the inevitable consequences.

Of course, there are cases (Keith MacRae and Bobby Clark come to mind) of keepers who were good enough to play the odd game outfield on merit.

Perhaps the Olympiad teams should be allowed to bring one of their spare players as a sub late on (obviously one without access to electronic assistance) to convert that tricky ending :evil:

Alistair Campbell

Post by Alistair Campbell » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:28 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote: Are there (m)any other Scottish dual cricket-football internationals?
Got one, finally - Scot Symon. Played for Scotland against the Australians in 1938 at Dundee, and also v Hungary that same year.

He was more famous as the manager of Rangers, although in 1949/50 he managed East Fife to 4th in the league, the cup final and also won the league cup (although we don't like to talk about that)

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:26 am

WIKI reports there was a Scot's lad called Gregor MacGregor who played Rugby for Scotland and Cricket for England.

I saw a Hibs player taking a penalty against Airdrie in the 60's.
The lad slipped just as he was kicking the ball it hit the corner flag and bounced out for a shy.

Phil Neatherway

Post by Phil Neatherway » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:39 am

I believe the Stoke keeper Asmir Begovic is now his team's joint top-scorer.