Knight's Tour: Are there other similar problems?

A section to discuss matters not related to Chess in particular.
John McKenna

Re: Knight's Tour: Are there other similar problems?

Post by John McKenna » Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:02 pm

Michael Farthing wrote:OK John let us reword the standard proof slightly to deal with your sensibilities:

Consider the list of all known primes and take their product plus one. This is not divisible by any known prime and therefore is either prime itself, or divisible by some other prime which is as yet undiscovered. Hence a prime number always exists that has not yet been discovered.

No contradiction there! We have not claimed to be working with a complete set of primes.

Of course, I am of the view that deductive proof is invalid and that the only correct method of proof is by establishing a contradiction: not a widely held view but, IMHO, as reasonable as Nick's and your position (which in your case I suspect is probably purely mischievous - using that word with its gentler, tolerant and, dare I say it, affectionate* meaning).

*This does not imply any let up in our battles: a bit like Peppino and Don Camillo.

Michael, now I am doubly confused -

First, your proof that there must be an infinite number of primes seems to me to be a rehash of the one, without a contradiction, which I provided a link to, above.

Second, are you playing the part of Don Camillo or am?

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:29 pm

Oh mea culpa mea maxima culpa!

the link refused to load for me and I rather presumed too much about what you were saying :oops: :oops:

As for Don Camillo, does it matter which way round? They thought they were at loggerheads but when the chips were down they looked out for each other.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:40 pm

OK Michael I, too, will come clean - don't think I have ever seen the movie. In order to discover what cause united Don & Pep, I will add it to my ever-growing list of ones to see before I kick the bucket.

Meanwhile, I will be looking out for you (and other lucky forumites) whenever I enter a tournament in order to say "hello.... I'm... pleased to meet you." (Then gingerly taking a step back while gauging the reaction.)

Although, thinking about it, our paths may not cross on the tournament trail since, in England, the farthest north I've played is Scarborough in the east. And, to the west it is only as far north as Crewe.

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:09 pm

The movie? What's a movie? Don Camillo appears in BOOKS.

I would have played at Crewe this year but it conflicted with the ECF Council. I did ask for it to be moved for me, but they took no notice :-(

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:37 pm

This is it -

http://www.ecodibergamo.it/stories/cult ... 165219_11/

Even Geoff "Bell, Book & C(h)andle(r)" watches moving picture shows - what generation are you, Michael, early Edwardian, like Adam Adamant? (Pardon my presumption, and just give us a clue as to which decade you arrived in, plse.)

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:01 pm

John McKenna wrote:my presumption, and just give us a clue as to which decade you arrived in, plse.)
Before the fall of mighty Kings
In Nargothrond and Gondolin

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:02 am

That narrows it down bit for those whose speciality is the chronology of the mists of imaginary time, Michael. But, it ain't much use to a dialectical materialist seeking historical certainty.
Peppone may be a bit of the latter and Don Camillo a bit of the former, wouldn't you say?

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:48 am

A feature of the modern age is the belief that "the public has a right to now". Sadly, imaginary rights are not the same as hard reality.
In short, I'm playing hard to get. However, if you are really keen to know, a careful examination of my posts should narrow your search to within a few years. Hint: Searching the forum on the word "Sunderland" will probably suffice.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:21 pm

Don Michael, thanks for sharing :D Papa John