The English Language

A section to discuss matters not related to Chess in particular.
soheil_hooshdaran

Re: The English Language

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Sat Jul 23, 2022 1:16 pm

What's the difference between "discount" and "deductible"? Which one is correct on a hospital bill?

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Sat Jul 23, 2022 9:04 pm

I've only ever heard "deductible" in such contexts when referring to US health care. I don't think a forum of mostly British people is going to be very helpful.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sat Jul 23, 2022 10:44 pm

IM Jack Rudd wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 9:04 pm
I've only ever heard "deductible" in such contexts when referring to US health care. I don't think a forum of mostly British people is going to be very helpful.
In a UK Insurance context, the term used is likely to be "excess". That's were the first £ excess of a claim is met by the claimant rather than the insurer. In a UK Health context, it's more common for British people to use the NHS which is free at the point of delivery. Arguably it only appears free as it's paid for by the magic money trees of taxatiion or borrowing.

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Sun Jul 31, 2022 5:26 pm

And didn't the government fret like crazy over Covid putting the NHS under strain. Exactly how much we are paying for it we will never really know, nor whether its actually getting better or worse, which tends to be disputed by a great very many.

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:17 pm

Thanks. What does it mean for your baby "to stay with you in the days after birth"?

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:12 am

It means you stay with your child after it is born. Some people don't do that and stay in hospital and they don't always see their child straight away.

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:15 pm

Thanks.
What does it mean that "Children thrive on routine"?

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Thu Aug 04, 2022 5:00 pm

What does it mean that:
"Kangaroo Mother care brings the greatest benefits for low-birth and preterm babies when started as soon as a baby is born."? Kangaroo mother care works best for preterm babies and low-birth weight when started just after birth? or that it is advised just for preterm and low-birth weight babies?

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:07 pm

This thread appears to have become hijacked by simple questions that needn't be posted. This is rather saddening because some of us have a genuine interest in the English language but feel it can't be discussed here. Given that the topic is linguistics, there is a shocking lack of academic reference in this thread. This thread should either refocus or be closed down. I'm quite happy to throw questions in about the English language but you might find them a bit difficult but that's surely better than what's happening here.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:16 pm

MJMcCready wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:07 pm
This thread appears to have become hijacked by simple questions that needn't be posted.
The thread originator is, we believe, a translator of English to Farsi. As such, English idioms and metaphors come up for explanation. The works being translated are sometimes in technical areas in which the forum has little experience or expertise.

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:47 pm

MJMcCready wrote:
This thread appears to have become hijacked by simple questions that needn't be posted. This is rather saddening because some of us have a genuine interest in the English language but feel it can't be discussed here. Given that the topic is linguistics, there is a shocking lack of academic reference in this thread. This thread should either refocus or be closed down. I'm quite happy to throw questions in about the English language but you might find them a bit difficult but that's surely better than what's happening here.
It is hard to determine the category of a question when you don't know the answer. I know the meaning of each individual word in my last question; but the connotation is unknown to me. Sorry for any inconvenience it may cause, but I don't create such inconveniences intentionally. Thanks for the patience you all put.

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:06 am

The trouble with the Kangaroo Mother care question is that the text is structurally ambiguous. It's probably clear from the rest of the text which meaning is meant, but on its own, I could interpret it more than one way.

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:54 am

soheil_hooshdaran wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:47 pm
MJMcCready wrote:
It is hard to determine the category of a question when you don't know the answer. I know the meaning of each individual word in my last question; but the connotation is unknown to me. Sorry for any inconvenience it may cause, but I don't create such inconveniences intentionally. Thanks for the patience you all put.
I'm not suggesting you are but there should be a broader range of topics in play here, there's a lot that could be said.

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:56 am

Would someone like to comment on why the BBC adopted 'Estuary English'?

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:15 am

IM Jack Rudd wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:06 am
The trouble with the Kangaroo Mother care question is that the text is structurally ambiguous. It's probably clear from the rest of the text which meaning is meant, but on its own, I could interpret it more than one way.
It's from this post
https://www.instagram.com/p/Cg1MOsKop8u ... MyMTA2M2Y=