The English Language

A section to discuss matters not related to Chess in particular.
User avatar
IM Jack Rudd
Posts: 3739
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:13 am
Location: Bideford

Re: The English Language

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:06 am

The "must" here has a scope of the entire sentence - if you put a second "must" in, it wouldn't change the meaning of the sentence, and it wouldn't exactly be grammatically wrong, but it would sound a little clunky.

soheil_hooshdaran
Posts: 2570
Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:24 pm

Re: The English Language

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:03 pm

My point is that
It should mean you must opt for g4, not that you must no opt for g4. am I right?

User avatar
IM Jack Rudd
Posts: 3739
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:13 am
Location: Bideford

Re: The English Language

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:05 pm

You are right, yes.

soheil_hooshdaran
Posts: 2570
Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:24 pm

Re: The English Language

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:51 am

Thanks.
What's the difference between 'penetration squares' and 'entry squares'?

Thanks in advance

Andy Stoker
Posts: 157
Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:23 pm

Re: The English Language

Post by Andy Stoker » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:16 am

soheil_hooshdaran wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:51 am
Thanks.
What's the difference between 'penetration squares' and 'entry squares'?

Thanks in advance
neither is very common terminology - would have to see context. Sound the same.

soheil_hooshdaran
Posts: 2570
Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:24 pm

Re: The English Language

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:40 am

Andy Stoker wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:16 am
soheil_hooshdaran wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:51 am
Thanks.
What's the difference between 'penetration squares' and 'entry squares'?

Thanks in advance
neither is very common terminology - would have to see context. Sound the same.
Continuing the pressure on the queen side with 17 Na4 is the right attitude. After the more or
less forced 17 ... Nd7 I should exchange some pieces to gain some entry squares.

I have not encountered penetraqtion squares in this book. Just wonder qhat's the difference between entry squares and penetration squares, or to put it differently, that entry means penetration.

User avatar
Michael Farthing
Posts: 1689
Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:28 pm
Location: Morecambe, Europe

Re: The English Language

Post by Michael Farthing » Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:54 am

Penetration means entry but with the added suggestion of going in a long way or that there is some resistance or difficulty.

So, you would normally say "the man entered the building" (a perfectly ordinary activity) but "the sword penetrated his heart" (which involves a lot more effort and probably was not what the owner of the heart wanted). You could also say "the sword entered his body" and that would be understood. If you said "the man penetrated the building" there is a suggestion he went a long way in or that perhaps he was going in without permission.

In your chess example I am not sure I could say exactly what the writer meant. Perhaps an entry square is on the edge (but still the outside) of enemy territory and a penetration square is within the enemy territory (but that's a guess). It may be simply that the author liked using different words for variety.

soheil_hooshdaran
Posts: 2570
Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:24 pm

Re: The English Language

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:46 pm

Michael Farthing wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:54 am
Penetration means entry but with the added suggestion of going in a long way or that there is some resistance or difficulty.

So, you would normally say "the man entered the building" (a perfectly ordinary activity) but "the sword penetrated his heart" (which involves a lot more effort and probably was not what the owner of the heart wanted). You could also say "the sword entered his body" and that would be understood. If you said "the man penetrated the building" there is a suggestion he went a long way in or that perhaps he was going in without permission.

In your chess example I am not sure I could say exactly what the writer meant. Perhaps an entry square is on the edge (but still the outside) of enemy territory and a penetration square is within the enemy territory (but that's a guess). It may be simply that the author liked using different words for variety.
He used onlu 'entry square'

soheil_hooshdaran
Posts: 2570
Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:24 pm

Re: The English Language

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:27 pm

Consider:
So, I should continue with 26 Kf2, centralizing it to protect my d4-pawn.

Means He already centralized the King? Or that he will centralize it next move?

And is the subject of centralizing, Kf2, or the White player?

Roger de Coverly
Posts: 17319
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:51 pm

Re: The English Language

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:53 pm

soheil_hooshdaran wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:27 pm
Means He already centralized the King? Or that he will centralize it next move?
Placing a King on f2 centralises it. (Presumably it was on the g file the move earlier)

soheil_hooshdaran
Posts: 2570
Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:24 pm

Re: The English Language

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:39 pm

Thanks!

soheil_hooshdaran
Posts: 2570
Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:24 pm

Re: The English Language

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:40 pm

Consider
With their home analysis and knowledge of what to do and how to do it, plus some class, the point is ready to fall into their
hands!
What does 'class' mean?

soheil_hooshdaran
Posts: 2570
Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:24 pm

Re: The English Language

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:16 am

In:
Black needs to construct a concrete and effective plan to turn it into a long-term one and then convert it into victory.

What's the difference between 'turn' and 'convert?

Thanks in advance

soheil_hooshdaran
Posts: 2570
Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:24 pm

Re: The English Language

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:18 am

Given
White is reduced to moving his bishop, wait­ing for the opportunity to move his king to d5 when the black king moves away, or, alterna­tively, reach the promotion square with his king.

What are the alternative to each other?

soheil_hooshdaran
Posts: 2570
Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:24 pm

Re: The English Language

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:12 pm

What's a critical mistake?

Thanks in advance

Post Reply