2015 UK General Election

A section to discuss matters not related to Chess in particular.
Arshad Ali

Re: 2015 UK General Election

Post by Arshad Ali » Wed May 20, 2015 6:14 pm

Matt Mackenzie wrote:I don't think Cameron is terribly bright as people with firsts in PPE at Oxbridge go. FWIW
Is it hard to get a first in PPE at Oxford? Didn't Nigel Lawson also have a first in PPE from Oxford? And apparently all he did there was drink and play snooker. Must be any number of other politicians with PPEs as well. Apologies to all and sundry for digressing.

Brian Towers

Post by Brian Towers » Thu May 21, 2015 8:11 am

Arshad Ali wrote:
Matt Mackenzie wrote:I don't think Cameron is terribly bright as people with firsts in PPE at Oxbridge go. FWIW
Is it hard to get a first in PPE at Oxford? Didn't Nigel Lawson also have a first in PPE from Oxford? And apparently all he did there was drink and play snooker. Must be any number of other politicians with PPEs as well. Apologies to all and sundry for digressing.
I'm sure that's absolutely right. An Oxford first in PPE isn't worth the paper it is written on.

Ed Miliband, of course, got a second in PPE at Oxford. I wonder what that tells us about him?
Ah, but I was so much older then. I'm younger than that now.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Thu May 21, 2015 6:08 pm

He didn't have the best tutors that Eton could buy? ;)

Seriously, I wasn't saying it was worthless - just that Cameron doesn't seem *that* switched on considering he has it (Osborne, by way of contrast, has a second in Modern History - but there aren't many doubts about which is the bigger political brain of the two)
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:37 pm

Matt Mackenzie wrote:
Matthew Turner wrote:Rachel Reeves has endorsed Andy Burnham which might well secure her the Shadow Chancellor's job should Burnham prevail. Angela Eagle is running for Deputy Leader but even at this stage Tom Watson appears to be in an unassailable lead.
What is the latter claim based on? I will be backing Stella Creasy for that post and so will others I know :)
Is Stella going to get enough nominations? She only has 20, and needs 35 to get on the ballot - same position as Angela Eagle - Ben Bradshaw has 19 and Rushanara Ali has 18 with 2 days to go

I think Caroline Flint and Tom Watson have enough
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:32 pm

Rumours doing the rounds that Watson's "enforcers" are trying to keep her off the ballot :evil:
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:11 pm

Watson has 58, and Flint has 37 I think, so that would be 172 MPs in total out of 232 i.e. 50 nominations left available, so enough but not lots of potentials, particularly as the 4 leadership contenders may choose not to nominate anyone?

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:20 pm

Though of course John Healey had 20 MPs backing him before he withdrew, so that increases the scope for others to get on.....

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:19 pm

You were right, Matt, not only did Stella get enough nominations, so did Angela & Ben

Interesting choice, but doesn't make much sense to me having to choose a deputy before you know who is leader

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:34 pm

Depends who you want as leader to some degree?

I am inclined towards Burnham (though not 100% committed yet) and apart from her own virtues SC would be a good "foil" for him.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:39 pm

I read the other day that the Labour candidates for London Mayor make a more impressive list than that for the national party leadership. Is that a fair comment, or not? Most prominent candidates are: Diane Abbott, Tessa Jowell, Sadiq Khan and David Lammy.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:41 pm

Depends what you are looking for, I suppose.

I would be inclined to support Jowell (despite her, erm, baggage) but many who have met Christian Wolmar have almost literally raved about him. And there is of course Diane A - as much a joke figure here as she was in the national contest five years ago :)

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:33 pm

Deputy leadership nominations: Tom Watson 62, Caroline Flint 43, Angela Eagle 38, Ben Bradshaw 37, Stella Creasy 35

I think the London Mayor is seen by many as a more immediate and therefore more important position, so yes there are some interesting candidates

Not sure about them, at least we have a chess supporting Mayor in Manchester