The 2001 Fischer internet hoax

A section to discuss matters not related to Chess in particular.
John Upham

Re: The 2001 Fischer internet hoax

Post by John Upham » Mon Sep 12, 2022 5:55 pm

Matt Bridgeman wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 5:52 pm
Is it time to lock this thread and move on? Surely 10 pages is enough.
Fewer than 10 pages were easily enough.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Chris Goodall

Post by Chris Goodall » Mon Sep 12, 2022 6:27 pm

AlanLlewellyn wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 5:05 pm
the thought needed to try and get the knight out intact
What thought? The knight isn't trapped. On either move 19 or 20 you could literally have picked the knight up and put it on the undefended square h6. You forgot that it needed saving, is what happened.

Because if the knight was truly trapped, then you would have had to fight for the draw. So your claim that your opponent played like a super-GM to swindle a draw out of you, would make no sense.

Matt - I think there is enough material preserved here for posterity that, if some future journalist takes Alan at face value, they have only themselves to blame.
Donate to Sabrina's fundraiser at https://gofund.me/aeae42c7 to support victims of sexual abuse in the chess world.

Northumberland webmaster, Jesmond CC something-or-other. Views mine. Definitely below the Goodall Line.

Joey Stewart

Post by Joey Stewart » Mon Sep 12, 2022 6:52 pm

One thing I would perhaps say in Alan's defence is that it has recently been discovered that lichess have a lesser known disciplinary procedure where instead of banning players they are instead stealthily placed into a pool where they can only ever match up with
other "undesirables" which probably include a lot of low level engine users so the fact he was seeing cheats online often could be due to that. Or even if not, it's a worthwhile bit of information to know, as lichess community standards are quite vague and moderators are known to punish for seemingly minor offenses.
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:46 pm

John Upham wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 5:55 pm
Matt Bridgeman wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 5:52 pm
Is it time to lock this thread and move on? Surely 10 pages is enough.
Fewer than 10 pages were easily enough.
I tend to disagree, one thread called "Alan Llewellyn's thoughts on life and chess", to keep them in one place, would suit me.

John Sellen

Post by John Sellen » Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:03 pm

" I tend to disagree, one thread called "Alan Llewellyn's thoughts on life and chess", to keep them in one place, would suit me."

Great idea Paul. Over to you Carl !!

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:25 pm

Joey Stewart wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 6:52 pm
One thing I would perhaps say in Alan's defence is that it has recently been discovered that lichess have a lesser known disciplinary procedure where instead of banning players they are instead stealthily placed into a pool where they can only ever match up with
other "undesirables" which probably include a lot of low level engine users so the fact he was seeing cheats online often could be due to that. Or even if not, it's a worthwhile bit of information to know, as lichess community standards are quite vague and moderators are known to punish for seemingly minor offenses.
The more I learn (here and elsewhere) about the major online chess playing sites, the more my decision to stay away from them is vindicated.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:44 pm

It isn't that long ago that THE place to play was playchess.com or maybe ICC.

They took their eye off the ball I suppose.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

AlanLlewellyn

Post by AlanLlewellyn » Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:47 am

2022-09-13.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Joey Stewart

Post by Joey Stewart » Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:52 am

John Upham wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:44 pm

There's been loads of great sites come and go over the years - FICS, Chesscube, chess32, yahoo...
I never played on ICC though, not even once, I never saw the value in paying just to play blitz when I can do it for free anywhere else - chess.com membership probably gives the maximum amount of content for your money if you want to be paying for memberships.
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.

AlanLlewellyn

Post by AlanLlewellyn » Tue Sep 13, 2022 2:19 am

another game to pick appart, otb 1 hr 30 min club match against a ungraded beginner, his play is suspiciously good and his resignation when he didnt spot the mate but immediately resigned is also suspicious although oly because he didnt seem to realise he had eve lost his queen. I pointed out the mate to him.

AlanLlewellyn

Post by AlanLlewellyn » Tue Sep 13, 2022 2:26 am

Joey Stewart wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:52 am
John Upham wrote:

There's been loads of great sites come and go over the years - FICS, Chesscube, chess32, yahoo...
I never played on ICC though, not even once, I never saw the value in paying just to play blitz when I can do it for free anywhere else - chess.com membership probably gives the maximum amount of content for your money if you want to be paying for memberships.
i often play long online games on icc using my smartboard at 45 45 tc
a smartboard is actually very dumb not a computer -it transfers moves made on a special board to the internet. It only transfers moves you make it doesnt think up moves itself.

AlanLlewellyn

Post by AlanLlewellyn » Tue Sep 13, 2022 2:28 am

AlanLlewellyn wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 2:26 am
Joey Stewart wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:52 am
John Upham wrote:

i often play long online games on icc using my smartboard at 45 45 tc
a smartboard is actually very dumb not a computer -it transfers moves made on a special board to the internet. It only transfers moves you make it doesnt think up moves itself.
also the standard of opening play and quality of opponent is much higher on icc

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:37 am

AlanLlewellyn wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 2:19 am

another game to pick appart, otb 1 hr 30 min club match against a ungraded beginner, his play is suspiciously good and his resignation when he didnt spot the mate but immediately resigned is also suspicious although oly because he didnt seem to realise he had eve lost his queen. I pointed out the mate to him.
He's not a beginner. His grading record shows he played competitively for about 7 years before taking a break for about 6 years. When he stopped playing he was graded 83 and had been at that level for 2 years.

AlanLlewellyn

Post by AlanLlewellyn » Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:22 am

he never took chess seriously in those 7 years of play, it was just a hobby, he played a few games but he hasnt really studied the game like you would have expected a club player to do.

Stephen Westmoreland

Post by Stephen Westmoreland » Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:11 am

What are you accusing your club mate of exactly? What is suspicious about his loss here?

Or are you just demonstrating a win.
HDCA President