What would you do?

A section to discuss matters not related to Chess in particular.
John McKenna

Re: What would you do?

Post by John McKenna » Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:55 pm

Michael Farthing wrote:Soheil, I would love you to succeed, but John* is right. Listen to his words: Let it be! You can achieve nothing by making further contact yourself.

*Lennon, of course, not McKenna :-)
Let It Be was composed by Paul McCartney, by the way.

If only it had been Lennon AND McKenna - instead of McCartney - but I was younger than John then, and older than him now.

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:14 am

John McKenna wrote:
Michael Farthing wrote:Soheil, I would love you to succeed, but John* is right. Listen to his words: Let it be! You can achieve nothing by making further contact yourself.

*Lennon, of course, not McKenna :-)
Let It Be was composed by Paul McCartney, by the way.

If only it had been Lennon AND McKenna - instead of McCartney - but I was younger than John then, and older than him now.
How can you be older now? Did he lose tempi?

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:07 am

Did he lose tempi?
More than that. His time ran out in 1980 at the age of forty.

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:41 am

My sister and her husband seem unwilling to intervene more. What should I do?

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:38 am

Soheil. Your question has been answered already in this thread. I'm afraid that you just don't like the answer. That's understandable, but does not change what the answer must be.

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:11 pm

Michael Farthing wrote:Soheil. Your question has been answered already in this thread. I'm afraid that you just don't like the answer. That's understandable, but does not change what the answer must be.
It's unfathomable.

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:45 pm

John McKenna wrote: As a new author you should have quickly agreed to carry out the copyright owner's terms and conditions and hoped for their future good will. Most authors, I am sorry to say, are not in a position to dictate their own terms and conditions to publishers - until they become well established, naturally.
I had agreed to their terms.
The thing is, I just asked for their expectations from us, on the part of my Iranian publisher, after mentioning-as the publisher asked me- that copyright is not observed in Iran-but he knew that already as I told him in an email 3 years ago-, and he immediately recoiled.

It is not that I objected the (welcome) royalty. I just asked it to be included in the contract the contract needs to be signed, as Iran legal system doesn't respect email agreements, but I was later told by an English solicitor that emails replace the contracts in England. But the response were that the contract was fine as it is (not that it doesn't need to be signed), so I got cold-feet and showed it to my publisher. I only resumed the translation after we settled the royalty via email.

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:03 pm

soheil_hooshdaran wrote:
It is not that I objected the (welcome) royalty. I just asked it to be included in the contract the contract needs to be signed, as Iran legal system doesn't respect email agreements, but I was later told by an English solicitor that emails replace the contracts in England. But the response were that the contract was fine as it is (not that it doesn't need to be signed), so I got cold-feet and showed it to my publisher. I only resumed the translation after we settled the royalty via email.
It is true that Emails could be a valid contract provided both Emails have clearly showed agreement and consented to that agreement being binding: indeed a contract can be made simply by making oral promises (traditionally confirmed by hand shake). However, as in Iran, it is common to have a formal written agreement and it is unlikely that anyone with genuine good intentions would refuse a request for a formal signed document. I find it hard to believe that a reputable English solicitor would not recommend that. It makes everything much more certain. It is more likely that the copyright problem is to blame.

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:46 am

Yes, he offered the specific royalty and asked if I agree with that, I said yes and resumed the translation

He knew there was no observation of the copyright law and I only want to observe it out of moral obligation,although I didn't mention the underlined part the second time; I was just quoting my publisher.

There is, of course, Iranian Copyright, enacted in mid-70s

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:11 am

I have a question:
Iran only recognizes the right of an Irani translator/writer to a book legally.
(The law doesn't specify that, but it seems to be so)

My question is:
What difference does it make whether I observe it myself or that the rule of the country protects it?

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:53 pm

Soheil, there's an English language simile - like a dog with a bone - that illustrates your behaviour regarding this matter. If you('ve) ever watch(ed) a dog with a bone you'll understand it.
... I HAVE SPENT FAR TOO MUCH TIME ON THIS!!
send contract to 10 Northburgh Street, London, EC1V OAT, U.K.

I AM NOT CORRESPONDING ANY MORE ON THIS ISSUE.
PUBLISH THE BOOK, OR DON'T PUBLISH IT - IT IS UP TO YOU.

ALL CORRESPONDENCE FROM NOW ON MUST BE VIA NORMAL POST TO LONDON.

I AM NOT REPLYING TO ANY MORE EMAILS!!!!!
The above quote is from -
http://www.ecforum.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=7851

Soheil, "... it is up to you."

Soheil, we've all "spent far too much time on this!!"

Soheil, please, drop this bone in hole, bury it and forget the location.

This bone has been picked clean of every scrap of meat and sucked dry of all the marrow.
Find other, better, bones of contention to gnaw at and grind on about if you're going bring any bones here.
You've done so before and amused rather than hassled the audience.

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:13 pm

So, does that mean I am persistent? What is wrong with that?

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:54 pm

The 2730 views obviously indicates it is a hot thread!

Ray Sayers

Post by Ray Sayers » Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:17 pm

It's like watching a car crash. Horrible, but you still look.

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:21 am

Ray Sayers wrote:It's like watching a car crash. Horrible, but you still look.
:D
At least you learn what was wrong, so as not to repeat the same mistake again