EU Referendum - in or out?

A section to discuss matters not related to Chess in particular.
Michael Farthing

Re: EU Referendum - in or out?

Post by Michael Farthing » Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:50 am

Independence referendum for Manchester?

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:55 am

North of England - we could vote to join Scotland :) Or just apply for political asylum?

Thing with the margin is, take Scotland out - and they're surely now going to do that themselves over the next ten years or so! - and it is moderately emphatic. Arguably not quite as much as you'd like for such a hugely committal decision but not anything you'd overturn short term.

You'd need less of a (sort of improving a little, but 2008 was so terrible) horrible economic depression and probably a much stronger, coherent Labour party who could have made the case about how much money these poorer areas have been getting in EU grants/workers rights and stuff.

Next decade or so will be no fun at all for anyone with so much to reorganise, then we'll survive of course. Probably still be very rich by most objective standards.

I do find the apparent reluctance to engage with people who really are incredibly similar to us truly depressing and narrow minded.

Mike Gunn

Post by Mike Gunn » Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:57 am

Roger told the EU that a membership scheme was a bad idea, but would they listen?

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:58 am

Mike Gunn wrote:Roger told the EU that a membership scheme was a bad idea, but would they listen?
:lol:
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:58 am

Michael Farthing wrote:Independence referendum for Manchester?
Independence from whom? :wink:

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:02 am

MartinCarpenter wrote:North of England - we could vote to join Scotland :) Or just apply for political asylum?

Thing with the margin is, take Scotland out - and they're surely now going to do that themselves over the next ten years or so! - and it is moderately emphatic. Arguably not quite as much as you'd like for such a hugely committal decision but not anything you'd overturn short term.

You'd need less of a (sort of improving a little, but 2008 was so terrible) horrible economic depression and probably a much stronger, coherent Labour party who could have made the case about how much money these poorer areas have been getting in EU grants/workers rights and stuff.

Next decade or so will be no fun at all for anyone with so much to reorganise, then we'll survive of course. Probably still be very rich by most objective standards.

I do find the apparent reluctance to engage with people who really are incredibly similar to us truly depressing and narrow minded.
Me too

Alex Salmond reckons Scotland need a quick Referendum, so they can ensure continuous EU membership i.e. they leave the UK before the rest of the UK leaves the EU

There's Northern Ireland too

I gather that Farage said Brexit had won "without a single shot being fired."

Jo Cox RIP

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:44 am

NickFaulks wrote:
John McKenna wrote: Thanks, I'm going to get some sleep, now, with that thought in mind. Hope I wake up having left.
It really looks as though you will get your wish, and whatever plans they had in their pocket in dodgy areas of London are futile. Don't know about you, but I've been living for this day since we were cheated in 1975. This is only the beginning, there will now be all manner of dirty tricks, and of course the idea of Cameron being the man who negotiates exit terms doesn't bear thinking about. Interesting times start tomorrow.
In that '75 referendum I voted for membership of the 'EEC' - European Economic Community.

Even at that point in time there was a blueprint in Brussels-Strasbourg for an 'EU' - European (Political) Union.

I could live with that BUT as President de Gaulle said in 1963, when he vetoed the UK's application for membership, the British government lacked commitment to European integration.

In 2016 the people of England and Wales have finally settled the European fudge that successive British governments have created over the last forty years.

It is that fudge that made me sick and so vote to repudiate the whole wonky factory.

Now the Hansel & Gretel gingerbread house can continue to be built to specification unalloyed by British fudge.

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:47 am

Yes, it might help the rest of the EU in some ways.

A quick referendum is very likely a good idea for Scotland. If they end up formally leaving the EU as part of the UK it'll be terribly hard to get back in again. England outside the EU is big enough to survive reasonably, Scotland much less so.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:11 am

Looking to the right of the post office in Harwood just before 9 am, the pub is covered in England flags, which will be taken down no doubt as soon as England exit Euro 2016

The railings either side of the road are covered in Union Jack flags put up over night

Anyway, we might have leadership elections in both the main parties now, but the key question - are the Spanish going to send us back Justin? :lol:

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:33 am

Amazing result (the regional breakdown is quite clear - London and Scotland solidly remain - most other England regions solidly Leave, the difference in voting overall was around 1.27 million). Will be fascinating to see what happens. Hopefully things don't go pear-shaped for too many people as a result. Definitely history in the making. What happens next may determine how the history books are written, but some of the people involved in this campaign (though it pains me to say it about some of them) now have their place in history.

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:57 am

London isn't so amazing - people in big cities are very much more used to working with people from a very wide variety of nationalities/backgrounds etc.

No surprise that is showed up here. Also an incredibly clear cut effect in UK general elections, and even more so in American politics.

Scotland is fairly clearly not very similar to the rest of the UK in terms of politics any more.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:03 am

One of the biggest market shocks of all time:

"The pound has collapsed to its lowest level in over 30 years, suffering its biggest one-day fall in living memory."

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:25 am

Yes, but it has recovered from that, and the Euro has fallen too

Stockmarkets not as bad as feared, FTSE 100 down 5.05% but Paris down 8.17% and Frankfurt down 6.96% - Madrid down 10.6% is the biggest fall I can see (I blame Justin :lol: )

FTSE 250 down 8.65%

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:31 am

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:One of the biggest market shocks of all time:

"The pound has collapsed to its lowest level in over 30 years, suffering its biggest one-day fall in living memory."
In the scheme of things, not really that special.
GBPUSD.PNG
As for the UK stock market, it's higher than it was last week.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:54 am

Spot the biggest market crash in living memory.
FTSE.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.