EU Referendum - in or out?

A section to discuss matters not related to Chess in particular.
NickFaulks

Re: EU Referendum - in or out?

Post by NickFaulks » Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:25 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote: but apparently being stranded abroad by French strikes isn't being accepted as a reason for an emergency proxy.
Further evidence of partiality by the referendum overseers. Such voters are probably not at this moment greatly impressed with the EU.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:30 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:
Mick Norris wrote:getting flooded is more relevant than how you vote
Sure, if your actual property or residence has been flooded. Do they accept that for emergency proxies? I know medical emergencies are covered, but apparently being stranded abroad by French strikes isn't being accepted as a reason for an emergency proxy.

If, on the other hand, it is simply being adverse to travelling through a bit of rain, that is poor. Maybe in cities the polling stations are more local and easier to get to? Hell and high water wouldn't stop some people voting today.

What I don't get is why people register to vote and then... don't vote. I don't mean those with genuine reasons, but those who forget or just can't be bothered. Is it because getting to the polling station is too difficult or people don't know where their polling station is or don't receive/lose their polling card (telling them where to vote)? Would some form of online/digital voting help increase turnout?
i really don't get why people don't apply for postal votes :roll:

I'd be happy with online if a sufficiently secure system could be used - it would encourage young people to vote

Maybe the ECF could lead the way (or the NCCU :lol: )
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:36 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Christopher Kreuzer wrote: but apparently being stranded abroad by French strikes isn't being accepted as a reason for an emergency proxy.
Further evidence of partiality by the referendum overseers. Such voters are probably not at this moment greatly impressed with the EU.
To be fair, the tweeters and those stranded are in both camps ('Leave' and 'Remain').

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:39 pm

Angus French wrote:
Alistair Campbell wrote:
Peter D Williams wrote:Afternoon friends :wink:

I will be voting no in the Referendum with a pen so no civil sevant can rub it out and then put a yes vote.
Surely MI5 can get round this quite easily by just removing your vote and replacing it with several "Remain" votes prior to the count? :evil:
Maybe Peter can outfox M15 by voting to "Yes" ;)
https://uk.news.yahoo.com/brexit-voters ... 37904.html

I used a pen so you can tell how I voted from the link, above.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:43 pm

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:03 pm

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:12 pm

This is rather sweet, from here:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... referendum

"Landmark buildings in Europe lit up in support of remain: Madrid City Hall was lit up in red, white and blue; the Michelangelo statue of David in Florence, Italy, wore a union flag toga, while the Palace of Culture and Science in Warsaw, Poland, projected the flag on to its front."

Though I expect it will draw the usual response from the usual suspects.
I do wonder how the EU population as a whole, rather than the cultural and ruling elite, feel about Brexit?

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:30 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:This is rather sweet, from here:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... referendum

"Landmark buildings in Europe lit up in support of remain: Madrid City Hall was lit up in red, white and blue; the Michelangelo statue of David in Florence, Italy, wore a union flag toga, while the Palace of Culture and Science in Warsaw, Poland, projected the flag on to its front."

Though I expect it will draw the usual response from the usual suspects.
I do wonder how the EU population as a whole, rather than the cultural and ruling elite, feel about Brexit?
This makes a good comparison -

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06 ... o/?ref=yfp

Our peace and security may depend on taking the honeyed words and sugared promises of these future demagogues with a pinch of salt.

Ray Sayers

Post by Ray Sayers » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:00 pm

This business of saying the government are going to rub out the pencil marks on ballots for Leave and put it in for Remain is frankly just bonkers. Is this just one side already getting in some reasons for not accepting the result? Considering the security and oversight involved in elections, it is a pretty risible idea. Talk about paranoia! It seems like we are in the middle of the Republican Nomination process! :roll:

Ray Sayers

Post by Ray Sayers » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:01 pm

John McKenna wrote:Any day, I prefer -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01s6xy ... des/player
That is inspired! :lol:

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:47 pm

Ray Sayers wrote: Considering the security and oversight involved in elections
The Brexit campaign requested some international oversight of the process, given that the Electoral Commission is a branch of the Remain / Govt campaign. They were told that this was not permissible. Why should I not draw the natural conclusion?
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:20 am

NickFaulks wrote:
Ray Sayers wrote: Considering the security and oversight involved in elections
The Brexit campaign requested some international oversight of the process, given that the Electoral Commission is a branch of the Remain / Govt campaign. They were told that this was not permissible. Why should I not draw the natural conclusion?
From the Newcastle and Sunderland results, it is looking good for Leave at the moment, so maybe the conspiracy theories are not warranted?

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:39 am

I have a suspicion that the polls have been getting lots of predictions wrong here. There may be a lot of results that end up very different to what the polls forecast. What the overall balance will be is really difficult to say.

Angus French

Post by Angus French » Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:42 am

This prediction market still (after Newcastle and Sunderland results) giving a win for Remain.
Last edited by Angus French on Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:56 am

Rumour that one London area (Lewisham) 83% in favour of remain. If that is replicated across London, it will really turn out to have been (effectively) London against most of the rest of the country. Maybe Newcastle was an outlier and the Labour vote in the north-east is collapsing and turning to UKIP (I know, it is a referendum, not an election, but that pattern may have an effect).