EU referendum aftermath

A section to discuss matters not related to Chess in particular.
Alistair Campbell

Re: EU referendum aftermath

Post by Alistair Campbell » Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:53 pm

NickFaulks wrote:If the three strands of the Labour Party are the leadership, the PLP and the members, then it is clear that the PLP is at odds with the other two. Why is it so clear, as accepted by the entire mainstream media, that the PLP is the only one of the three in step?
Isn't there frequently a disconnect between workforce on the shop-floor and management, or fans on the terracing and the board of directors? The reality of the market, or league or parliament may lead to greater pragmatism of the participants.

In this case, would the PLP not be considered to have a better idea of what constitutes effective parliamentary tactics, good leadership, and electoral success?

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:20 pm

Brexit court case
A legal challenge over the UK leaving the EU will be heard by the High Court in October, two judges have decided.
A number of actions have been launched attempting to prevent the government from formally triggering Brexit without Parliament's authorisation.

During the opening hearing, government lawyers told the High Court Prime Minister Theresa May did not intend to trigger Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty before the end of 2016
and just to remind us what a pleasant country we are
The judges heard that one of the law firms involved, Mishcon de Reya, had received letters of abuse which led to potential clients who had wanted to join the action withdrawing their names.
"It is racist abuse, it is anti-Semitic abuse and it is objectionable abuse," Lord Pannick QC, instructed by Mishcon, told the court.
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:38 pm

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:57 pm

Mick Norris wrote: "It is racist abuse, it is anti-Semitic abuse and it is objectionable abuse," Lord Pannick QC, instructed by Mishcon, told the court.
I doubt that anyone in the legal profession is taken in by Mishcon de Reya's widely noted flair for publicity. This is just a routine opening shot.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:15 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:Angela Eagle drops out of Labour leader race
The latest example of the maxim that "She who wields the knife rarely inherits the crown."

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:16 am

David Sedgwick wrote:
The latest example of the maxim that "She who wields the knife rarely inherits the crown."
Yes, and according to one article I read, she had fewer MPs supporting her than have supported Corbyn. A modern day Sir Anthony Meyer?

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:24 am

Alex Holowczak wrote: Yes, and according to one article I read, she had fewer MPs supporting her than have supported Corbyn.
She has taking over the BWCA (and doing nothing with it) in her CV. Taking over the BCF would have been rather more impressive.

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:18 am

More MP's than Corbyn, less than the other potential candidate and they wanted to cut out to one to make out cleaner somehow.

Meanwhile, America are reminding us that, yes, it could be a lot worse! Maybe 8 years of having a decent, intelligent person (and a brilliant orator) in the white house has freaked them out.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:05 am

Alex Holowczak wrote:
David Sedgwick wrote:
Yes, and according to one article I read, she had fewer MPs supporting her than have supported Corbyn. A modern day Sir Anthony Meyer?
No, she had 72 MPs according to reports, Smith had 88 plus 2 MEPs

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:21 am

Fair enough - the article I read has been amended...

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:44 am

Alex Holowczak wrote:Fair enough - the article I read has been amended...
Don't believe everything you read :lol:

I don't really see what is gained by all the lying, but I suppose politics is like that now

The list of Owen Smith's nominating MPs and MEPs has been released, but Angela's nominators won't be I gather, and of course Jeremy doesn't need nominating, but we do know he wouldn't get as many as Angela did, not that it matters - there are statements from Owen and Jeremy on the website though

Pity not to have a woman leader but looks like Angela would be shadow chancellor if Owen is elected

We have never had a woman Chancellor, and as far as I know, never a shadow Chancellor either - I know Ruth Kelly (who my daughter has met) was Financial Secretary to the Treasury

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:07 pm

Ed Miliband is backing Smith for leader.

Maybe significant, given that he is one of the relatively few "establishment" Labour figures who a lot of left leaning members might listen to.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Dragoljub Sudar

Post by Dragoljub Sudar » Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:40 pm

Matt Mackenzie wrote:Ed Miliband is backing Smith for leader.

Maybe significant, given that he is one of the relatively few "establishment" Labour figures who a lot of left leaning members might listen to.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

MartinCarpenter wrote:Meanwhile, America are reminding us that, yes, it could be a lot worse! Maybe 8 years of having a decent, intelligent person (and a brilliant orator) in the white house has freaked them out.
:?: :?: :?: When was that?

PeterFarr

Post by PeterFarr » Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:56 pm

Dragoljub Sudar wrote:
Matt Mackenzie wrote:
MartinCarpenter wrote:Meanwhile, America are reminding us that, yes, it could be a lot worse! Maybe 8 years of having a decent, intelligent person (and a brilliant orator) in the white house has freaked them out.
:?: :?: :?: When was that?
Right now, as most intelligent and fair-minded people would agree.

Dragoljub Sudar

Post by Dragoljub Sudar » Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:26 pm

I didn't realise you know how millions of people think. No doubt Mrs May will be begging you to offer her your infinite wisdom.

Please stop making wide sweeping claims which you cannot even begin to substantiate.