EU referendum aftermath

A section to discuss matters not related to Chess in particular.
MartinCarpenter

Re: EU referendum aftermath

Post by MartinCarpenter » Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:33 pm

Well yes, but why call a snap GE? Agree that anything could happen in one. Its just that you'd only do that over this issue if you'd somehow decided the referendum result wasn't actually binding.

As for the timing, yes it is very much their business. Its their organisation and we're destabilising it. We do also need ever bit of goodwill we can muster for the divorce settlement.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:38 pm

MartinCarpenter wrote: We do also need ever bit of goodwill we can muster for the divorce settlement.
We have a large trade deficit with the EU. They need us much more than we need them, and they know that.

edit : why do you think that on Friday the FTSE 100 went down by 3% and the French index went down by 8%? We need them a bit, but they need us a lot.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:47 pm

MartinCarpenter wrote:As for the timing, yes it is very much their business. Its their organisation and we're destabilising it. We do also need ever bit of goodwill we can muster for the divorce settlement.
Indeed, they must be deciding whether to say it is triggered after whatever Cameron says to them in a couple of days

I deal often with divorce professionally, and no-one ever gets what they want and most people end up unhappy with the result
Any postings on here represent my personal views

AustinElliott

Post by AustinElliott » Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:52 pm

MartinCarpenter wrote: I really don't think (which was the point I was trying to make above) that Europe will give us that much time. They're giving strong indications of wanting this sorted even before we get a replacement PM, let alone anything else.

That line is coming from Mr Juncker, from the EU bureaucracy (which is somewhat the same thing) and from some of the EU Foreign Ministers. However, Angela Merkel and her advisors, and some of the German press, are making noises about 'no such need for haste'. Germany above all will want to keep the UK firmly connected to the EU in some formal capacity, for both economic and for EU geopolitical reasons.

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:55 pm

Quite possible :) The current German leadership is thankfully fundamentally incredibly sane and competent. Think only the SNP is close in English politics just now.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:03 pm

After that statement of Martin's what's left of my mind is boggling on the edge of sanity. Going to lie down in a darkened room, now.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:25 pm

John McKenna wrote:After that statement of Martin's what's left of my mind is boggling on the edge of sanity. Going to lie down in a darkened room, now.
Because Martin said that the SNP are a voice in English politics (rather than Scottish politics) or something else? :wink:

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:37 pm

Probably yes, and it was really rather silly to put English rather than UK :)

The basic point I guess stands though, especially about Merkel. If there was a weak populist in charge of Germany we'd be much more prone to get randomly savaged. Instead there's a very strong pragmatist.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:44 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:
John McKenna wrote:After that statement of Martin's what's left of my mind is boggling on the edge of sanity. Going to lie down in a darkened room, now.
Because Martin said that the SNP are a voice in English politics (rather than Scottish politics) or something else? :wink:
Chris, I know you'd like proper political reasoning backed by good analysis (above, Martin makes a quick stab at that).

Very sorry, the best I can do right now is to say that during my cat nap I saw a scene from the "Scottish play" and in it the three witches were Angela, Nicola and Theresa :evil:
Last edited by John McKenna on Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:51 pm

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:56 pm

Ah, well, I wasn't talking about liking politicians so much as evaluating their aura of competence - Salmond/Sturgeon seem like exceedingly effective politicians in clear and full control of their parties.

The other big UK parties just now?! It is a real issue - the biggest thing we need just now is really stable, sober leadership from somewhere. There'll be a huge amount of negotiation work/new legislation to get through for the next few years.

Angus French

Post by Angus French » Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:57 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Angus French wrote: Alastair Campbell complaining about a false prospectus! Fantastic.
I'm sure that Chilcot will clear him of any wrongdoing.
Speaking of Chilcot, here's a conspiracy theory.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:55 pm

Putin backs Boris for PM, he never forgets a kind word

What does Russia gain from Brexit?

Ray Sayers

Post by Ray Sayers » Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:51 am

Revised little red story book:
See Boris!
See Boris turn!
Turn, Boris, turn!
(You are welcome to change 'turn' to 'panic', 'sweat', 'realise the enormity of it all')

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:00 am

the view from Salford

Don’t call us morons or idiots