EU referendum aftermath

A section to discuss matters not related to Chess in particular.
NickFaulks

Re: EU referendum aftermath

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:36 am

John Clarke wrote: I'm not making any firm predictions, but let's say I wouldn't be suprised, if Trump intends taking the job seriously, to see him forced to step down through stress and/or ill-health somewhere after the half-way point in his first term.
I find that comment strange. Stress is like oxygen to Trump, it's not clear to me that he could live long without it.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Paolo Casaschi

Post by Paolo Casaschi » Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:33 pm

It will be very interesting to see who is joining Trump's cabinet.

Of all the rumors, I find it particularly interesting who is suggested as Secretary of the Treasury with the president elected by working/middle class folks angry at the effects of globalization. Of all people you'd think that a former Goldman Sachs executive is the last one they would trust for the job, however as current Trump's finance chairman Steven Mnuchin seems the most likely candidate. Carl Icahn is the other suggestion from CNN, now that is a real billionaire; still you wonder if he'd even know the troubles of the common man, let alone care about.
http://edition.cnn.com/interactive/2016 ... e_treasury

How the anti-globalization sentiments resulted into handing the country's future to a bunch of billionaires is beyond comprehension.

Paolo Casaschi

Post by Paolo Casaschi » Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:31 pm

Paolo Casaschi wrote:It will be very interesting to see who is joining Trump's cabinet.

Of all the rumors, I find it particularly interesting who is suggested as Secretary of the Treasury with the president elected by working/middle class folks angry at the effects of globalization. Of all people you'd think that a former Goldman Sachs executive is the last one they would trust for the job, however as current Trump's finance chairman Steven Mnuchin seems the most likely candidate. Carl Icahn is the other suggestion from CNN, now that is a real billionaire; still you wonder if he'd even know the troubles of the common man, let alone care about.
http://edition.cnn.com/interactive/2016 ... e_treasury

How the anti-globalization sentiments resulted into handing the country's future to a bunch of billionaires is beyond comprehension.
Confirmed today, an outcome that defies logic: the anti-globalization discontent in the US just appointed US treasury secretary a former Goldman Sachs partner for 17 years.

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:11 pm

Logic gave up in despair several months back!

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:11 pm

Yes, it's all gone to pot.

Where's the logic in sending clean-shaven Alan Duncan, the UK Minister for the Americas, as the official representative to Fidel Castro's funeral, for example, instead of bearded Jeremy Corbyn the guerilla leader of the official opposition?

And, sticking with a toadying career diplomat as ambassador to the USA instead of replacing him with shhh-you-know-who?

It all shows an astonishing lack of imagination and foresight at the top of Tory government. Only to be expected I suppose since they were the ones who accidentally brought us Brexit - via a referendum they assumed they couldn't lose.

Dave should have done the honourable thing after he lost it by calling a Götterdämmerung General Election before putting a bullet through his... No, no, no... forget that - it's not physically possible.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:39 am

Paolo Casaschi wrote: Confirmed today, an outcome that defies logic: the anti-globalization discontent in the US just appointed US treasury secretary a former Goldman Sachs partner for 17 years.
Unlike his disastrous Treasury predecessors Rubin and Paulson ( and others such as Carney and O'Neill ), Mnuchin was the sort of GS partner who stayed out of the political limelight and just made pots of money for his firm. Still wouldn't have been my choice, but I'm not going to pass final judgement yet.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:46 am

Well that could be a harbringer of trouble ahead for the Conservatives at the next GE. The got their current majority off the LibDems in the first place of course. Polarising the electorate as much as this has incredibly volatile consequences under FPTP.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:11 pm

Its also nice to see Goldsmith getting what his transparent stunt deserved.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:21 pm

Dear Theresa May,

Defeat means Defeat and WE are going to make a success of it. You lost. Get over it already.

Regards

The Liberal Elite x

#Zexit

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:22 pm

MartinCarpenter wrote:Well that could be a harbringer of trouble ahead for the Conservatives at the next GE. The got their current majority off the LibDems in the first place of course. Polarising the electorate as much as this has incredibly volatile consequences under FPTP.
Since the referendum, the LDs have gained 41 council seats, held 15 and lost only one. In the same time, the Tories and Labour are on a net loss well into double figures, all other parties have a net loss apart from Plaid Cymru, up 1.

Here are those LD gains:
Southbourne (Chichester) 1/12
Staveley TC Woodthorpe 3/11
Houghton Regis TC Houghton Hall 27/10
Seaford TC Seaford North 27/10
Seaford TC Seaford South 27/10
Horwich Parish Council Claypool 27/10
Bodmin TC 20/10
East Riding of Yorkshire UA St. Mary's 20/10
Tipton TC [2 seats] 13/10
Poole UA Broadstone 13/10
South Lakeland DC Windermere Bowness North 13/10
Knowsley TC, Knowsley Park North 13/10
Brickhill Parish Council East Ward 6/10
Cotswold Stow 29/9
Dacorum BC Adeyfield West 29/9
Teignmouth TC Central [2 seats] 23/9
Cockermouth TC Christchurch 22/9
Suffolk CC Hadleigh 22/9
Hailsham TC East 22/9
Teignbridge DC Teignmouth Central 22/9
Cardiff UA Plasnewydd 20/9
North East Derbyshire DC Tupton 15/9
Sheffield CC Mosborough 8/9
Conrwall UA Four Lanes 1/9
Lyminton & Pennington TC Pennington 1/9
Hailsham TC East 25/8
Colne TC Vivary Bridge 18/8
Eden DC Alston Moor 4/8
Cornwall UA Newlyn & Goonhaven 28/7
South Hams DC Totnes 27/7
Northampton BC Westone 21/7
Cornwall UA St. Teath & St. Breward 14/7
Cornwall UA Newquay Treviglas 14/7
North Norfolk DC Astley 14/7
Wilstshire UA Trowbridge Grove 14/7
Mole Valley DC Leatherhead North 30/6

The sole LD loss, btw, was Seaford TC Seaford West 27/10.

Besides the gains, holds and loss, the LDs contested a further 107 council by-elections. There were a further dozen or so seats in which they didn't put up a candidate.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:08 pm

Sorry to rain on your parade, Paul.

But, last night's election result was a load of old Horlicks

And, in the long run it is Tiny Tim and seven little people leading the charge of the elite brigade.

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:14 pm

That's alright John, I never could give a flying f**k what you say (the bits that are lucid anyway) and am not about to start now. Cheers, ta for now!

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:22 pm

Does anyone have any idea how the by-election might have gone if the Conservatives had put forward an official candidate? Would that have increased the Lib Dem eventual majority, or might it have confused things still further?

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:43 pm

Paul McKeown wrote:That's alright John, I never could give a flying f**k what you say (the bits that are lucid anyway) and am not about to start now. Cheers, ta for now!
That's what I kind of suspected to expect, Paul.
We are men of Irish ancestry who find ourselves in the heart of English power and on the opposite sides of the current great political divide. Nothing new in that.

I must make a quick correction - from today, for me it is- Snow White, Tiny Tim & the seven...

For you it looks like - Snow White, Tiny Tim and the magnificent seven.

We can both dream on.

Alistair Campbell

Post by Alistair Campbell » Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:35 pm

Paul McKeown wrote:Since the referendum, the LDs have gained 41 council seats, held 15 and lost only one. In the same time, the Tories and Labour are on a net loss well into double figures, all other parties have a net loss apart from Plaid Cymru, up 1.
I think you've excluded Scotland, Paul. From memory there would be one gain and one (notional) loss.