Is it copyright infringement?

A section to discuss matters not related to Chess in particular.
soheil_hooshdaran

Re: Is it copyright infringement?

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:34 am

John McKenna wrote:As I said, if you wish to hold to your moral beliefs then stop selling illicit books.

If on the other, third, hand you are sureptitiously arguing that your moral beliefs are above international copyright law and that is because Iran does not adhere to that international law therefore you can do whatever you like regarding translating, publishing and selling any, and all, foreign books you choose to, then do that.

It seems clear enough, now, so why do you regularly raise further questions, here, and tell of what is happening in Iran regarding the matter of copyright?
Yes, I'm not gonna translate further volumes of the series, unless I get the copyright-holder's go.
It's fair: One has to pay if he is recieving a service. They aswered my questions and if they are again to do that, they needx to be paid.
What are you expect to hear here - yes, we agree with you, Iran has got this right?
No.
I know this part of Iran's law is contradictory: No copyriight for others, but copyight for our own work. Good news is that you can sign a contract to observe the internnnational copyright.

But I am asking if my hearings are right: the foreign copyright holders absolutly have no problem with their books being pirated. If it was, why would they have problems with me only? Seem I am about the only chess trqanslator strictly adherin to the international law.
And I wonder, as a person, how is Iran gonna be part of international community if it doesn't follow such laws?
Can you say what happens if Iranian authors' books are taken abroad, translated into English and sold - do those authors and copyright holders in Iran see any returns for their work, or, are they told they deserve nothing because Iran does not adhere to international copyright?
Well, one of my frie4nds planned to have his book translated by me, but I failed to do it and now he doesn't want to do so anymore.
But I think they expect return.

(There are 3 separate questions in what I've written, above, answer them each clearly if you can, please.)

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:49 pm

Well said, that's all clear enough for me.

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:27 pm

Do you suggest that I frist translate the book, then give it to someone to print the book, with the permission from the copyright-holders of the original book?

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:51 pm

You know how it should go - first get the copyright holder's permission to translate, print and sell your translation in Iran. You also know how difficult it is to agree such a contract with the copyright holder to cover the publishing, in Iran, of translations of English language chess books. It may be easier for Iranians to come to such agreements for translations of chess books from other languages, e.g. German, Russian, Spanish.

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:06 pm

John McKenna wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:51 pm
You know how it should go - first get the copyright holder's permission to translate, print and sell your translation in Iran. You also know how difficult it is to agree such a contract with the copyright holder to cover the publishing, in Iran, of translations of English language chess books. It may be easier for Iranians to come to such agreements for translations of chess books from other languages, e.g. German, Russian, Spanish.
Well, translating these books also help me improve my English.
I emailed them saying I sold some copies of the 1st vcolume in 2017 plus some PDF copies and told the PDF sellers to remove them from the4ir websites, but I got no reply emmails. Maybe they will reply to my friends.

I think that translating for one's own is allowed. It was for the first volume.(let's exploit their kindness!)

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:03 pm

What if I translate articles from the web?

IM Jack Rudd

Re: Royalty

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:40 pm

IM Jack Rudd wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:19 pm
IM Jack Rudd wrote:
IM Jack Rudd wrote:Consult a lawyer. We are not a lawyer, we are a chess forum.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:46 pm

Can we not lock this one off?
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:19 am

IM Jack Rudd wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:40 pm
IM Jack Rudd wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:19 pm
IM Jack Rudd wrote:
In Iran, only Persian works are bounnd to be protected by copyright, hence I cannot find a lawyer for copyright. So I am asking and consulting on the internet. This is the lleast I can do.

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:40 pm

If someone gets he permision from the copyright-holder of a work, can s/he give the translation to someone else? I mean does the agent of the person who got the right to translate the work, automatically have the right to translate?

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:53 pm

soheil_hooshdaran wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:40 pm
If someone gets he permision from the copyright-holder of a work, can s/he give the translation to someone else? I mean does the agent of the person who got the right to translate the work, automatically have the right to translate?
In English Law that would depend on the terms of the contract between "someone" and the copyright holder.

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:56 pm

So you need to specify the agent?

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:15 pm

soheil_hooshdaran wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:56 pm
So you need to specify the agent?
That would depend on whether the contract said anyone could do it, or restricted it to a named person/people.

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:08 am

IM Jack Rudd wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:27 pm
Consult a lawyer. We are not a lawyer, we are a chess forum.
How much will a law3yer charge me?
A parent of one of the ex-students of my club was a lawyer, and he said he is one of the 10-20 Iranian lawyers working in Europe and that he said he will charge me 12000-18000 Euros if they enter my issue with Everyman chessm and that they won't enter the issue.