Draughts

A section to discuss matters not related to Chess in particular.
Ian Thompson

Re: Draughts

Post by Ian Thompson » Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:41 pm

MJMcCready wrote:How is it that we have a draughts cafe (plus assorted games) but not a chess cafe in London?
We do have one - http://casualchess.org/. Their Twitter account is still active, so I assume they haven't closed down.

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:39 am

Thanks, didn't know about that place.

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:19 am

I think the #1 reason we have board game cafés to a greater extent than we have chess cafés is that we have a large number of chess clubs. Specifically: the existing culture for going out and playing chess was strong enough that many people who would have started chess cafés didn't - because they had no need to.

Clive Blackburn

Post by Clive Blackburn » Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:39 am

In my experience the interest is definitely there, outside of a formal chess club situation. On non-club nights I have sometimes taken a chess set to a pub and played with a friend. This usually generated considerable interest, with other customers kibitzing or offering to play the winner.

The most memorable occasion was when a team mate and I went for an Indian meal after our club match and took a set with us to analyse some games as we ate. All of the waiters showed an interest, with a couple of them joining in the analysis.