Writing a Letter

A section to discuss matters not related to Chess in particular.
James Plaskett

Re: Writing a Letter

Post by James Plaskett » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:23 pm

Doubt it.
Also looks like you and I both ought to be heading back to P.F. Habershon´s English classes, what with your incorrect use of the apostrophe... 8)

James Plaskett

Re: Writing a Letter

Post by James Plaskett » Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:47 pm

And another thing, whilst were harping on about people´s use of English..
I got a ´B´ Grade for my English Literature GCSE Exam in 1976.
This was because the directions in quite a significant past of the exam, were to comment on any TWO pieces of the four literary excerpts of Section 1 and any other TWO from the four of Section 2.
BUT, there was no obvious distinction between the passages in either Section!
It wasn´t as though one was being asked to comment upon Othello, Macbeth, King Lear and Hamlet and then in Section 2 from Here We Go, Off To Play, Dennis The Menace and Noddy and Big Ears go to Toyland. So I, naturally enough, just breezed on until I had completed my commenting on all of the four in Section 1.
Immediately afterwards I realised my error and mentioned it to the invigilating master; Mr Hetherington. His empathy was, "Well, it DOES day...".
But there was absolutely no point in the exam setter making so daft a distinction.
And I could not possibly have been the only examinee to have been marked down not on the subject upon which he was examined but on another one: mathematics.
I passed with only a ´B´ Grade which, to this day, still pisses me off.