Premier League Fantasy Football 2017-18

A section to discuss matters not related to Chess in particular.
Neil Graham

Re: Premier League Fantasy Football 2017-18

Post by Neil Graham » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:32 am

LawrenceCooper wrote:Respect to those who had the foresight to make Glenn Murray their captain for the weekend :shock:
The chances of finding anyone with Murray in their team (selected by 0.3% of managers) is pretty slim - the chances of anyone nominating him as captain as well must be almost non-existent. Harry Kane would have been a better choice as captain (16 points) but he has been selected by 41% of managers. The most selected player by some distance is Lukaku with over 50%. The most selected defender is, surprisingly, Ahmed El-Sayed Hegazi of West Bromwich. José Heriberto Izquierdo Mena of Brighton who scored a superb goal against West Ham has been selected by nobody (0.0%).

Neil Graham

Post by Neil Graham » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:37 pm

Ronald Koeman is sacked. Read some of his inspiring quotes here:- https://www.inspiringquotes.us/author/5 ... ald-koeman

Neil Graham

Post by Neil Graham » Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:52 pm

Week 9

“It’s a great privilege to become the new manager of Leicester City – a club whose values and ambitions are closely aligned to my own," Claude Puel

So since posting Week 8 and as reported here, Ronald Koeman has been shown the door at Everton - meanwhile welcome back Claude Puel to take over at Leicester - see the quote above. In the League Jonathan Blackburn top scores with 78 points with Alana Deyes cementing her position at the foot of the table with just 18 points; how long will it take Gavin Carter who entered just last week to bridge the gap? Otherwise the top three teams remain unchanged whilst some shuffling amongst the Minor Places.

1 Misery loves Kompany Paul Cooksey 55 550
2 Ctrl Alt De Laet Adam Bremner 60 543
3 GoalsGalore Peter Staneland 76 532
4 Heavy up Top XI Mike Swanwick 69 527
5 Discovered Cech Michael Ashworth 66 522

Finally for those who watched the penalty shootout between Man City & Wolves here's another one http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41728826

Neil Graham

Post by Neil Graham » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:15 pm

Week 10

"With the greatest respect to women, football is the most beautiful thing in the world." Slavan Bilic. We thought we'd better get a quote by Slavan in, just in case he isn't with us by next week*

* (See Frank de Bour, Craig Shakespeare, Ronald Koeman plus sundry managers in other divisions)

A good week for Angus MacGregor, a previous high scorer, his team Arsenal⚽️#Gunners top scored with 84 points helped by a selection of players from .........Arsenal! We look forward to a team breaking the 100 points in a week barrier soon. Meanwhile Nick London takes up his usual position as low scorer with 27 points - some news though of Nick's picks - for the first time ever some transfers have taken place. Unfortunately the two debutants (Jesus & Richarlison) managed just two points in Week 10. At the top Adam Bremner overtakes Paul Cooksey - 21 points separate the top five.

1 Ctrl Alt De Laet Adam Bremner 52 595
2 Misery loves Kompany Paul Cooksey 41 591
3 Harley Hotspurs Andrew Harley 61 580
4 Smez XI Sam Herring 61 578
5 GoalsGalore Peter Staneland 46 574

League Leader Top team is now Joey Zasa with 735 points - so already 140+ from Adam Bremner's score.

Neil Graham

Post by Neil Graham » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:50 pm

Quarter One (Weeks 1-10) Report

As usual we round up the first quarter of Premier Chess Fantasy Football. The usual methodology of 5 pts for a 1st place down to 1 pt for a 5th place is used. No team appeared in the top five for all ten weeks; however Paul Cooksey accummulated eight weeks of which he was leader for six. A total of 19 teams scored points however we show those who appeared for three weeks and scored six points or more. The remaining eleven teams have graced us with their presence for either one or two weeks and have scored five points or less. Of course some teams have already been left by the wayside with one already in the depths of Page 2 and out of the top 50. Quarter 2 will narrow down the field and it will be interesting to see which teams stay the course. Number of weeks are shown in brackets

1. Paul Cooksey Misery loves Kompany 37 pts (8)
2. GoalsGalore Peter Staneland 23 pts (7)
3. Ctrl Alt De Laet Adam Bremner 22 pts (7)
4. Top of the Klopps Andrew Garside 15 pts (5)
5 Left is Best Steven Smith 13 pts (3)
6 Wengerboys Lawrence Cooper 9 pts (4)
7= Harley Hotspurs Andrew Harley 7 pts (3)
7= Discovered Cech Michael Ashworth 7 pts (4)

Neil Graham

Post by Neil Graham » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:15 pm

As forecast Slavan Bilic has left the building .........alright the football ground. David Moyes tipped as his replacement! :roll:

Neil Graham

Post by Neil Graham » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:49 am

Week 11

I've got nothing against foreign managers, they are very nice people. Apart from Arsene Wenger Tony Pulis

After the international break (both Republic & Northern Ireland out - England NIL), time to get back to the real world of Fantasy Football where Reuben Loftus-Cheek isn't considered the next best thing to sliced bread - but rather the best thing next to Timothy Fosu-Mensah and we consider which manager is next for the chop (no hints in the quote above). Meanwhile Will Place top scores with 73 points and Alana Deyes is again backmarker with 23 points. Rhys Cumming's team of Knock 'em aert makes a first appearance in the top five assisted by an 18 point contribution from Anthony Knockaert.

1 Ctrl Alt De Laet Adam Bremner 45 640
2 Harley Hotspurs Andrew Harley 50 630
3 Misery loves Kompany Paul Cooksey 37 628
4 Wrenchester United John Wrench 57 619
5 Knock em aert Rhys Cumming 60 618

Take a look at who was top scoring Manager in October - modesty forbids me to mention who it was!

Neil Graham

Post by Neil Graham » Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:08 pm

Week 12

Having made posts about de Boer, Shakespeare, Koeman, Bilic and now Pulis we hesitate to make any quote about or by Premier League managers. David Unsworth doesn't count as clearly his role as stand-in manger for Everton must be drawing to an ignominious close.

"I'm going to enjoy it. I'm very thankful for the opportunity I have now. How long will that be? I don't know."
David Unsworth - we think probably next week!

In week 12 Michael Ashworth's top score of 95 enables him to make a dramatic leap to within two points of leader Adam Bremner whilst Graham Mill-Wilson's "SirOsis of the Liver" is this week's low point with 30 points. Sir Osis appeared in a Bugs Bunny cartoon along with his Round Table comrade Sir Loin of Beef. Thought you'd like to know that.

1 Ctrl Alt De Laet Adam Bremner 72 712
2 Discovered Cech Michael Ashworth 95 710
3 Misery loves Kompany Paul Cooksey 75 703
4 Harley Hotspurs Andrew Harley 69 699
5 Despicable Mee Robert Ashworth 82 695

Finally we update you on the top team overall which is now Lallana Land with a mind boggling 867 points!

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:03 pm

Signing Otamendi (first half own goal) in place of Mawson (clean sheet yesterday) for this weekend is looking an inspired decision :oops:

Neil Graham

Post by Neil Graham » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:11 pm

Week 13

Sometime on Friday night I found there was a match already in progress - silly Mee had thought with a European fixture week there would be nothing until Saturday. Anyway my decline of the past three weeks continued - a million places lost. :oops: Luckily having watched Match of the Day I know that there's another lot of matches starting in midweek.

Andrew Harley scores 73 points to take over top spot in the League whilst Paul Talbot with what looked a remarkably strong team could only salvage 27 points from the likes of Lukaku, Otamendi, David Silva and so on.

1 Harley Hotspurs Andrew Harley 73 772
2 Ctrl Alt De Laet Adam Bremner 59 771
3 Discovered Cech Michael Ashworth 57 767
4 Misery loves Kompany Paul Cooksey 57 760
5 Despicable Mee Robert Ashworth 53 748

Who is Levi Lumeka? You may well ask. He is so anonymous that Premier League Fantasy Football can't even find a photo to identify him. At least nine people know who he is - they transferred out the Crystal Palace midfielder who to date has played 25 minutes (on matchday one) - possibly his only contribution for the season?

Neil Graham

Post by Neil Graham » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:07 pm

Week 14

Alan Pardew? Sam Alladyce? David Moyes? The Premier merry-go-round of managers continues but the same old faces appear again and again. No doubt that the next managerial sacking (Clements at Swansea) replacement will be "never relegated" Tony Pulis.

Meanwhile the top five Premier Chess managers are the same as in Week 12 with a few shuffles around of places. It was at this time last season that the front-runners began to distance themselves from the also-rans and so it appears to be proving this time round. Top Man of the week was Grant Bucher - last season's runner-up with his Olympique Mayonnaise team whilst Primark low scorer was Neil Milson's Mighty Whites. Neil played his "Free Hit" wildcard - possibly not the best decision of the week (but see below).

1 Discovered Cech Michael Ashworth 57 824
2 Harley Hotspurs Andrew Harley 50 822
3 Ctrl Alt De Laet Adam Bremner 45 816
4 Despicable Mee Robert Ashworth 47 795
5 Misery loves Kompany Paul Cooksey 31 791

Bad decision of the week time. We've already mentioned Neil Milson's selection which left Jordan Pickford (13pts) on the bench. However honorable mention for me who selected César Azpilicueta as captain to find he'd been omitted from the Chelsea side for the first time since September 2015; also anyone who had Leroy Sané as captain (also rested) plus all those who continues to have Lukaku as their captain!

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:17 pm

Neil Graham wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:07 pm
Week 14

Bad decision of the week time. We've already mentioned Neil Milson's selection which left Jordan Pickford (13pts) on the bench. However honorable mention for me who selected César Azpilicueta as captain to find he'd been omitted from the Chelsea side for the first time since September 2015; also anyone who had Leroy Sané as captain (also rested) plus all those who continues to have Lukaku as their captain!
I wasn't amused to finally sign Salah and see him benched by Klopp. Two late goals from the bench though softened the blow :)

Simon Brown

Post by Simon Brown » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:02 pm

I wasn’t amused about my replacement for Rashford, who I decided wasn’t going to play much from now on. So it came down to Murray (home v Palace, his old club) or Rooney (home v West Ham, impending new manager). Chose Murray, giving away 26 points....

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:17 pm

Simon Brown wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:02 pm
I wasn’t amused about my replacement for Rashford, who I decided wasn’t going to play much from now on. So it came down to Murray (home v Palace, his old club) or Rooney (home v West Ham, impending new manager). Chose Murray, giving away 26 points....
I wonder if anyone had the misfortune to have Rooney & Young as unused subs or sold either/both.

Neil Graham

Post by Neil Graham » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:07 am

Week 15

Big week of local derbies to come in Manchester & Liverpool. Most teams will have to make a choice between reds & blues - so let's see what happens next week!

Our top five managers remain with Andrew Harley now taking over the lead. Top of the shop is Richard Weaving's Lallanas in Pyjamas with 74 points whilst bottom of the pile (no surprise) is Alana Deyes with 21 points where she is joined by Adam Hunt who achieved the same score.

1 Harley Hotspurs Andrew Harley 63 881
2 Discovered Cech Michael Ashworth 37 861
3 Despicable Mee Robert Ashworth 60 855
4 Ctrl Alt De Laet Adam Bremner 39 855
5 Misery loves Kompany Paul Cooksey 59 850

I've been looking at another Premier Fantasy Football League called Chess Players. There is some crossover with our league but most of the teams are not playing in Premier Chess. They have about 1/3 of our membership and their leading team trails our top five. If there are any more exclusive chess playing leagues let me know.