Repercussions/Fallout from EU Referendum (Echo Chamber)

A section to discuss matters not related to Chess in particular.
John McKenna

Repercussions/Fallout from EU Referendum (Echo Chamber)

Post by John McKenna » Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:33 am

Hocus-pocus!

Ho-hum...

John McKenna

Re: Repercussions/Fallout from EU Referendum (Echo Chamber)

Post by John McKenna » Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:05 am

... and now for my next trick... Just a moment I have to get out of this straightjacket first...

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:37 am

The point is???
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:53 am

You've got me there, Carl.

Although prompted to post by similarities in the thread entitled - "Repercussions/Fallout of the FIDE Elections?" the two threads now seem, to me at least, to be diverging in terms of direction of outcome.

Therefore I'll just leave it at this - perhaps by Monday we'll know whether a certain person is a better magician than Tommy Cooper was, or a bigger comedian.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:34 pm

Gentlemen (and any ladies looking in...) for your edification, and delectation...

In the struggle of the EU v. the UK the Gibraltarians have been hung out on a limb to dry...

Emma & the Ulstermen estranged...

And, the trivial amount of time the EU-ros spent accepting THEIR OWN deal says it all - they've got the UK exactly where they wanted... right in their sights.

After that rousing ruputurous finale in Brusssels - marred only very slightly by an insistant Spanish autograph hunter who didn't like the cut of his own gib! - the Magic Roundabout show has embarked, by unpopular demand, on a frantic farewell UK tour... (Just like that, ha, ha, ha.)

A live pre-Xmas TV appearance by (she of the) Florence (speech) and her irrepressible old adversary - Jezzerdee looks to be in serious doubt...

There's supposed to be a fulminating fiasco of a fire-breathing fait accompli at the eleventh hour of the eleventh night of the the twelveth month that is surely guaranteed to bring the house down!!

Allons-y... Circe du Soleil...Mon Dieu (et Mon Droit)... sacre blues... zut Delors... l'addition, s'il vous plait! Combien ca fait??

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:49 am

Wow! Blimey! (sorry can't manage the squiggles).

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:27 am

No need for squiggles here.

You might have translated into the individual national languages of the EU, though that'd be a bit much.

If you-know-what ever does happen the EU-ros can more comfortably continue to use English as a common language.

In the longterm it could develop into a separate dialect - EUglish.

Must go - missing the EU's Lord Jaw-Jaw aka James O'(Brexit)Brien on LBC.

Ps I think one of the stars may be falling from your flag - despite desperate attempts to hold it in place.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:28 pm

As the phraseology sometimes goes, there have been "further developments".
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:38 pm

The last trick was the old...

Now you see it... now you don't!

When will the much promised vote rematerialise?

Neil Graham

Post by Neil Graham » Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:49 pm

Clearly the author of this thread hasn't read Page 387 of the agreed Brexit statement.

Brexit arrangements - Section XXVI - transitional agreements relating to Chess

Subsection (1) 4NCL - players in the Four Nations Chess League will from Season 2019-20 only qualify if they are registered with FIDE affiliates in the United Kingdom. Although Brexit is due to take place in March 2019, registrations for the 2018-19 season will remain in force until the end of that season. Subsequently any player who is from an EEC country must fill in a Form 4NCL(UK1) before being considered for inclusion in the 4NCL and there will be strict limits on such players. Special provision is made for players from the Irish Republic (IRE) and they will be given automatic qualification as a backstop procedure. All matches involving such players will be played on plastic boards; there will be no hard boarders.

Subsection (2) - Openings. - Players should espouse the English Opening and the Scotch Game. Openings such as the French Defence, the Sicilian, the Spanish, the Italian and the Dutch Defence should be avoided and where played British lines such as the Staunton and Milner-Barry Gambits should be attempted. The sub-committee set up to look at nomenclature wished to change the names of proscribed EEC openings to more British ones. So, for example the French would become the Folkstone Defence, the Dutch would be the Harwich Defence named after ports with ferry connections to our former EEC neighbours. However after careful consideration this has proved impossible because of the huge amount of literary work with the original names.

Subsection (3) Terminology - use of non English terms will be penalised. For example J'Adoube will no longer be recognised and players must say "! adjust". Similarly saying Check could be construed as reference to the Czech Republic and should now be announced as "Owzat!' which is clearly a British term relating to cricket. Checkmate is replaced by "Owzat and you're out mate". There is still some debate on the replacement terms for zwischenzug and zugzwang but the sub-committee will report on these at a later date with tabled recommendations. Penalties will be agreed with FIDE (which will now be referred to as the International Chess Federation) but will not include loss of a game.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:04 pm

The only thing I want to read is -

The Lady Vanishes

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lady_ ... 1979_film)

How are Charters and Caldicott, by the way, still in or already out??
Last edited by John McKenna on Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:14 pm

About the Lady only six words occur to me:

Don't you think she's looking tired?

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:33 am

How would I know?

I always avert my gaze...

The lips of Betty Davis and the eyes of Dracula.

https://www.artlyst.com/whats-on-archiv ... s-beetles/

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:09 am

The meaningful/less (delete one suffix if you care to hazard a guess) vote is upon them. A plague on all their houses.

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:30 pm

John McKenna wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:27 am

Ps I think one of the stars may be falling from your flag - despite desperate attempts to hold it in place.
Venus, the Morning Star, shines at magnitude greater than -4.0 and this sets the standard for the days ahead.
Things are brighter than any day since July 2016