Counties Championship graded sections 2019/20

A forum for the Midland Counties Chess Union.
Mick Norris

Counties Championship graded sections 2019/20

Post by Mick Norris » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:02 pm

Well, I was looking forward to playing against a new county, Derbyshire, at a new venue, Buxton, tomorrow for the U160, but have now been stood down as Derbys are unfortunately defaulting 5 boards

Shame as it is good to see a new county in the U160s, and hopefully it is only the early season match for a new team that has caused the problem

Our new team manager had done a good job in getting a decent squad of players (apart from me :wink: ) to make themselves available

Hopefully, Derbys will stay in the competition next season, and I'll get to play a home match for the first time since 2007 (and indeed, the U160 team has never played a home match)
Any postings on here represent my personal views and should not be taken as representative of the Manchester Chess Federation www.manchesterchess.co.uk

Mick Norris

Re: Counties Championship graded sections 2019/20

Post by Mick Norris » Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:13 am

Ended up with 6 defaults and G Man won 12.5 - 3.5
Any postings on here represent my personal views and should not be taken as representative of the Manchester Chess Federation www.manchesterchess.co.uk

Mick Norris

Re: Counties Championship graded sections 2019/20

Post by Mick Norris » Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:11 pm

Warks won easily today 10.5 - 5.5 at a new venue in Newcastle-under-Lyme

The venue wasn’t good enough; the lighting was poor, and there wasn’t enough space

I got punted up to board 6 and agreed a draw in a losing position, but the advantage was playing under a light and being able to see clearer (especially useful for my opponent who has eyesight problems), so not an excuse for the way I played

Bit of a shambles in terms of not just the venue, but the way the match went from looking close to all over in a relatively short period

Good luck to Warks in their remaining matches