John Upham

Re: Living in the Past: The Chiltern League

Post by John Upham » Mon Apr 08, 2024 1:35 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 1:13 am
John Upham wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 1:00 am
The CL is a law unto itself.
The other question is whether the match will be rated by the end of April or May or June. But that seems to be the Oxford grader dragging his feet.

I was under the impression that this tardiness had been dealt with following the 2023 BCA AGM.

If this remains a problem then it requires a solution. I am more than happy to submit the games for rating. I can either construct a rating file or I could submit them via the LMS. However I do not wish to be liable for fines for players who were not ECF members on the day that the games were played.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

John Townsend

Post by John Townsend » Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:46 am

Congratulations are in order to Berkshire, who, by winning Saturday's match against Oxon., secured first place in the Chiltern League (Open). After an indifferent start to the season, the team improved markedly. In particular, I believe their captain, Gareth Ward, has carried out his duties admirably:

https://www.oxfordfusion.com/oca/ViewRe ... 4160&Org=8

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:06 am

John Upham wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 1:35 am
However I do not wish to be liable for fines for players who were not ECF members on the day that the games were played.
Can you explain?
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:03 am

NickFaulks wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:06 am
John Upham wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 1:35 am
However I do not wish to be liable for fines for players who were not ECF members on the day that the games were played.
Can you explain?
Just like The Who, yes I can...

Games submitted for any player for ECF rating who is not a member of the ECF at the time that the game was played will trigger a fine (the ECF call it a "fee" but I don't) that will be delivered to whomsoever is designated as the "Treasurer" of the organisation which has made the submission.

The submission could be by email via a rating file or via the ECF LMS or by some other LMS which is enabled to make rating submissions.

Myself and Roger manage rating submissions for the BCA via the ECF LMS and John Roper would receive the fine.
Last edited by John Upham on Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:43 am

John Upham wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:03 am
Games submitted for any player for ECF rating who is not a member of the ECF at the time that the game was played will trigger a fine (the ECF call it a "fee" but I don't) that will be delivered to whomsoever is designated as the "Treasurer" of the organisation which has made the submission.
The rating submission file requires the name of a person to receive bills. For leagues and club tournaments there's a concession where the ECF doesn't require membership or a payment for non-membership when only a handful of games have been played.

As regards the Chiltern league, the first round of results was reported very promptly, thus demonstrating there's not anything wrong with the computer element of result reporting. Subsequently though the rounds of matches in Januuary, February and March barely made it in time for the 1st April list.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:50 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:43 am

For leagues and club tournaments there's a concession where the ECF doesn't require membership or a payment for non-membership when only a handful of games have been played.
What is the current size of that handful? I assume no more than five.

Mike Gunn

Post by Mike Gunn » Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:01 pm

A player who is not an ECF member is currently allowed to play 3 games in any league (including the Union stage of the county championship) without incurring game fee. The qualification date for membership is June 30th in the season that the games are played in. If you play one game in the national stage of the county championships then game fee will be charged if the player is not an ECF member.

John Townsend

Post by John Townsend » Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:03 pm

Just out of curiosity, I would be interested to hear what is thought to be the difficulty with analogue clocks. Does it make much difference?

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Apr 08, 2024 2:43 pm

John Townsend wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:03 pm
Just out of curiosity, I would be interested to hear what is thought to be the difficulty with analogue clocks. Does it make much difference?
I would have thought there are three problems. One is that you have an imprecise measure of how much time remains, the second that the accuracy may be assymetric and third and most importantly that you cannot use a move rate with increments. The first two reasons are traditional of course.