Could everyone lose their grade

General discussions about ratings.
Nick Grey

Re: Could everyone lose their grade

Post by Nick Grey » Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:49 pm

I think my new rating goes down and grading will not exist. In county changes I'm not sure whether I will be at top or bottom of a team so makes that fun. SOME take it too seriously and then suggest players are cheats.

Mike Gunn

Post by Mike Gunn » Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:49 am

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:12 pm
Also, how much longer will the grading history under the old system be made available (I have a note somewhere to download the personal data from that) and is there an easy way to download or request that data (i.e. one's own personal grading history)?
Try the following:
1. Go to your personal rating page
2. Click on "Games" (top right hand corner)
3. Click on "All seasons" (under the list of years).
4. You have now got a screen which shows all your individual game resultsa going back to 2002.
5. Scrolling down, copy the entire contents e.g. using CTRL/C
6. Paste the results into a suitable file, e.g. the Excel spreadsheet.

This is a bit of a kludge, but it works (I have just done it).

Brian Valentine

Post by Brian Valentine » Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:16 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:12 pm
Brian Valentine wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 1:59 pm
The rules for grades will be changed in September to support monthly grading. We are still on track to deliver these on time.

Everyone who has had at least one grade (separately for standard and rapid) published since 2017 will have a 4-digit grade for January 2020 when our monthly calculations will kick off. At present we are discussing whether a player goes inactive after 3 years or 5 years and the actions to take place at that point. The issue of losing a grade, if one has had a recent one, will not arise until January 2021 at the earliest.

Brian Valentine
Manager of ECF grading
I was recently looking at this, and was wondering if there has been any update on the window of time in which people have to get "back" to playing graded chess to avoid "losing" their grade. Even if they do lose their grade, will the past grading history still be used.

Also, how much longer will the grading history under the old system be made available (I have a note somewhere to download the personal data from that) and is there an easy way to download or request that data (i.e. one's own personal grading history)?
I don't think we will be making downloads of personal data any easier that Mike outlines. We have not gathered permission to use data in this way.

The rating system calculation drops player's grades/ratings after 5 years of complete inactivity. This is an interim position until we can look forward post pandemic. After that "5 years", players will start rating calculations again as a new player would.

We have no plans to ditch history already available on the site. We will be turning off the old Grading website when hits drop to a low level.

Brian Valentine
Manager of ECF rating

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:45 pm

Brian Valentine wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:16 pm
We have no plans to ditch history already available on the site. We will be turning off the old Grading website when hits drop to a low level.

Brian Valentine
Manager of ECF rating
Those two sentences seem contradictory to me.

The old Grading website is an invaluable historical record. I urge the ECF to continue to make it available indefinitely.

However, members of this Forum, you have been warned. Please hit on the old ECF Grading website at least a couple of times a week. Otherwise you may find one day that it is no longer there.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:03 pm

Yep, surely no reason why the "old" grading site can't continue to exist in archive form for the foreseeable future?
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Brian Valentine

Post by Brian Valentine » Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:26 pm

David Sedgwick wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:45 pm
Brian Valentine wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:16 pm

Brian Valentine
Manager of ECF rating
Those two sentences seem contradictory to me.

The old Grading website is an invaluable historical record. I urge the ECF to continue to make it available indefinitely.

However, members of this Forum, you have been warned. Please hit on the old ECF Grading website at least a couple of times a week. Otherwise you may find one day that it is no longer there.
The contradiction is clarified (I hope) by saying all the historical data on the old grading site was transferred en block to the new rating website.

The old website has just been transferred to a new server so it is unlikely to be chopped in the immediate future.

Paul Robert Jackson

Post by Paul Robert Jackson » Mon May 03, 2021 2:31 pm

For various reasons:
....Health
....A slow & gradual return to Club & League Chess
Could there be a shortage of "Rating Officer's" once we start playing OTB again?
Paul Robert Jackson

Neill Cooper

Post by Neill Cooper » Mon May 03, 2021 4:23 pm

For those of us who use the ECF LMS (https://ecflms.org.uk/lms/) then the games get graded automatically.

Brian Valentine

Post by Brian Valentine » Mon May 03, 2021 6:13 pm

Neill Cooper wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 4:23 pm
For those of us who use the ECF LMS (https://ecflms.org.uk/lms/) then the games get graded automatically.
We still need a rating officer to contact to handle any queries, but using LMS will much reduces their workload.

Brian Valentine
Manager ECF rating

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:27 pm

Quick follow up here.

Am I right that the 'old grading system' on a new server is here:

https://www.ecfgrading.org.uk/new/menu.php

And that the 'new rating system' is here:

https://www.ecfrating.org.uk/v2/new/list_players.php

On the former, I see my grades going back to 1994.
I can see a list on the latter, but no links to details.
(Worked out how to get the details now.)

I think the data on the new site only goes back to 2002, or is that because before then only the grades exist on the site, not the details?

Am still not any closer to playing OTB chess again (for various reasons).

I know this may become tiresome, but how long do I have again to play a game before my grade expires in some way? Brian said in an earlier post that the cut off is "5 years of complete inactivity". So in my case, that would be 13 February 2020, so is it 5 years from that date, or 5 years from the end of that season?

(I do actually expect to play chess OTB again before 2025!)

Brian Valentine

Post by Brian Valentine » Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:35 pm

Please look at: https://www.ecfrating.org.uk/v2/help/help_profile.php under categories. In summary the 5 years has been temporarily been increased to six years.

Brian Valentine
Manager ECF Rating

Brian Valentine

Post by Brian Valentine » Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:54 pm

By strange coincidence an unprompted change this evening means you should be now redirected to the new site.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:22 am

Brian Valentine wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:54 pm
By strange coincidence an unprompted change this evening means you should be now redirected to the new site.
Oh. I was about to take copies/screenshots and so on from the old site.
(Something I had been meaning to do.)

Does this change mean I can't do that any more?
I don't dislike the new site, but the layout of the old site has more memories!

Dragoljub Sudar

Post by Dragoljub Sudar » Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:36 am

Can you please restore the link to the grading database Brian? I was trying to access it just a few minutes ago.
There are some features I prefer on that site compared to the new one (and some are better on the new one)
If you do intend blocking access to it in the future can you please give us a few weeks notice?

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:47 am

Could I add a plea for the old link to be un-redirected? That has had some unintended effects. Some places on the internet refer to the old system, and there should still be a landing page (IMO) for that. There were also some aspects of the old system which are not replicated in the new one, and it is difficult to describe that, or ask questions about it, unless you can point to active pages showing the differences.

As a side issue, the Wikipedia page on the ECF Grading system now has an external link that used to land in the right place, but since the recent change this link redirects to the ECF rating system (a different thing), which is misleading.

There is also a point about historical archiving here. The ECF grading system dates back to 1958, and it would be worth, IMO, preserving the old site in some way (or snapshots of it) as part of the historical record (which would also include the printed grading lists and so on), and even earlier versions of the online grading system.