Could everyone lose their grade

General discussions about ratings.
Brian Valentine

Re: Could everyone lose their grade

Post by Brian Valentine » Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:33 am

Sorry to Dragoljub and Chris, but there were reasons for closing the site down. If either of you (or any of the remaining 28!) want to write to me at [email protected], about what could be done to improve the current site, we can consider it for future upgrades. Please note that getting the online ratings fully functioning on the OTB site is our priority just now.

Neill Cooper

Post by Neill Cooper » Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:17 am

Congratulations Brian on getting the August 1st grades out today.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:35 pm

Brian Valentine wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:26 pm
The old website has just been transferred to a new server so it is unlikely to be chopped in the immediate future.
Brian Valentine wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:33 am
Sorry to Dragoljub and Chris, but there were reasons for closing the site down.
So the "immediate future" is a period of less than four months.

J T Melsom

Post by J T Melsom » Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:49 pm

I echo the sentiments about losing the historic record on myself, my club-mates and my opponents. I don't consider the notice period sufficient. Having not downloaded the data I now have no personal reference points. How were players advised of this likely outcome?

And there may be practical consequences for example about establishing the playing strength of returning players.

By all means allocate priority resources to the new system, but please reflect further on the abrupt end of access to the old.

Post also sent by e-mail as per Brian's request.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:41 pm

J T Melsom wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:49 pm
And there may be practical consequences for example about establishing the playing strength of returning players.
The history appears all still there, except in a marginally different format and accessed in a way you might not spot unless you know the trick.

J T Melsom

Post by J T Melsom » Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:45 pm

Yes I should have double-checked this myself, rather than take at face value the comments of other posters :) . Brian responded in timely fashion and I've apologised for getting this wrong. Change of format will always take getting used to - I am annoyed by Windows up-grades, but that is not the same as a loss of data.

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:14 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:41 pm
J T Melsom wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:49 pm
The history appears all still there, except in a marginally different format and accessed in a way you might not spot unless you know the trick.
How do you access the history of the player eg. Tournament results from previous years.
Sadly I have picked up some terrible news from the North Midlands and the Surrey/Hampshire area but can't double-check the player's history and results.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:08 pm

If you go into an individual player, you get the grading history back until 1994

If you click on "View OTB Games" you get the details for the current season (which may well be blank)

If you click on "2021", you can select "All seasons" which gives you what you want I think
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Dragoljub Sudar

Post by Dragoljub Sudar » Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:52 pm

J T Melsom wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:45 pm
Yes I should have double-checked this myself, rather than take at face value the comments of other posters :)
Neither of the 'other posters' said anything about not being able to access the games history, so you''re on your own on this one...

Seriously though, I do remember when the new site came out it didn't bring forward all the games history from the old site for some inactive players but, as far as I can tell, all that information does now appear to be on the new site.

The new site is better. The only 'feature' I don't like is that, where no colour was submitted for a game, the site defaults to a black king, so the games history claims I played with black all season in my league games.

J T Melsom

Post by J T Melsom » Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:07 pm

Whatever, it was just a misunderstanding from not reading other posts carefully enough.