Page 1 of 4

The new Monthly grades are out

Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:41 pm
by John Sellen

Re: The new Monthly grades are out

Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:08 pm
by Wadih Khoury
Error: Unable to connect to MySQL. Debugging errno: 2002 Debugging error: No such file or directory

Re: The new Monthly grades are out

Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:42 pm
by Paul Cooksey
the site ok for me.

It looks like for the top 100 players ECF = FIDE+100. Is that consistent throughout?

Re: The new Monthly grades are out

Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:49 pm
by Wadih Khoury
Paul Cooksey wrote: ↑
Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:42 pm

It looks like for the top 100 players ECF = FIDE+100. Is that consistent throughout?
It's not surprising. I remember downloading the ecf and fide grade databases, and once you exclude the very variable bottom end of the spectrum, the correlation was closer to 7.5x ECF + 600, which seems to align with your observation.

Re: The new Monthly grades are out

Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:51 pm
by Alan Walton
It is just basically the normal grade using the normal conversion of ECF*7.5+700

Re: The new Monthly grades are out

Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:53 pm
by Christopher Kreuzer
The old grading database is still available here:

http://www.ecfgrading.org.uk/new/menu.php

(I prefer the layout and look of the older system!)

Re: The new Monthly grades are out

Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:13 pm
by Nick Grey
I like new format. Last game date! Well done.

Re: The new Monthly grades are out

Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:28 pm
by Angus French
So Grade Categories carry through - as Rating Categories - and five results in the last three years, with a minimum of one in the last twelve months, is sufficient to get a player a rating?

I thought the two systems were going to run in parallel for a period of time.

Re: The new Monthly grades are out

Posted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:43 am
by Dragoljub Sudar
I like the new layout and the ability to sort the games.
I find the black and red colour scheme difficult to look at so have to switch to the lighter colour scheme. It's nice to have the choice.
One strange 'feature' is that when I search on my name the results show several other players whose names are nothing like mine (I. E. Storey and Story etc). Is this an error?

Re: The new Monthly grades are out

Posted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:09 am
by Kevin Thurlow
"One strange 'feature' is that when I search on my name the results show several other players whose names are nothing like mine (I. E. Storey and Story etc). Is this an error?"

I found that - having searched on "Thur", I found names starting "Thor" turned up as well. I didn't worry as there weren't many of them.

Re: The new Monthly grades are out

Posted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:16 am
by Roger de Coverly
Angus French wrote: ↑
Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:28 pm
So Grade Categories carry through - as Rating Categories - and five results in the last three years, with a minimum of one in the last twelve months, is sufficient to get a player a rating?
It doesn't look as if the minimum of one in the last twelve months has been retained as I have a "published" rapid rating again.

Re: The new Monthly grades are out

Posted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:30 pm
by Joey Stewart
It is quite nice to see them looking like fide ratings from the pre deflation era... hopefully it will take a good while before these ones start to nosedive as those good ecf players with massively underrated fides will finally have a number that accurately reflects their playing strength.

Re: The new Monthly grades are out

Posted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:48 pm
by John Upham
Some clues as to the reasoning behind the fuzzy logic used in the search query routine :

"2020-03-22 Steve Bush commenced conversion to work on Chessnuts database
2020-04-30 SB commenced conversion to Cheshire Cat database (Chessnuts V2)
removed 8859-1 code page and allow UTF-8 by default
2020-05-23 SB converted to navbar and dark theme
separated list_players.php and list_clubs.php
2020-05-30 SB added much more extensive search with multi-word and negation
2020-08-04 SB added accent insensitive search to handle European characters"

Re: The new Monthly grades are out

Posted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:14 pm
by Ian Thompson
Dragoljub Sudar wrote: ↑
Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:43 am
One strange 'feature' is that when I search on my name the results show several other players whose names are nothing like mine (I. E. Storey and Story etc). Is this an error?
I'd guess they've implemented a Soundex algorithm, or something similar. That would be very sensible to catch misspellings of a player's name, although it might have been better if there was also the option to do an exact match search as well (e.g. searching for "Chan" returns a large number of other names).

All 5 names returned when you search for Sudar do have the same Soundex code.

Re: The new Monthly grades are out

Posted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:36 pm
by John Upham
I tried ar*e (with an s instead of an *) as the search string and the query returned 8 players who matched that search term.

An easy enhancement would be to employ an Ajax mechanism after perhaps three chars had been typed (but return not pressed).