Online Ratings and the Cheating Conundrum

General discussions about ratings.
Paul McKeown

Online Ratings and the Cheating Conundrum

Post by Paul McKeown » Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:59 am

Hi,

On several occasions I have been on the verge of having Richmond Juniors online events rated, and have given thought to re-starting the Richmond Rapidplays online.

However, on each occasion, I have come quickly to a halt, as (and again it is quite possible that I haven't paid attention in class) I have no idea what to do in the event of a player having been warned by a server or banned for conduct unbecoming.

I have Swiss Manager files going back to April 2020 with perhaps several thousands of games run under competition conditions that could be rated, but I know of two players in those tournaments who received server bans. I have no idea what to do with their records.

Any sensible advice here would be greatly appreciated.

Moreover I have read in the past about some tool which organisers and arbiters are supposed to have access to in order to flag this sort of thing up. Again any guidance would be appreciated.

Matthew Turner

Re: Online Ratings and the Cheating Conundrum

Post by Matthew Turner » Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:36 am

Paul,
I would recommend that you have a chat with Nigel Towers and I think he should be able to address most of your queries.

AndrewBanks

Post by AndrewBanks » Sun Jun 27, 2021 8:17 am

Paul McKeown wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:59 am
On several occasions I have been on the verge of having Richmond Juniors online events rated, and have given thought to re-starting the Richmond Rapidplays online.
In our household, in the eternal battle of more screen-time, chess took a backseat to Roblox...

But I do hope that, as restrictions are lifted, you'll be able to restart the OTB RapidPlays soon :-)

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Mon Jun 28, 2021 6:20 pm

AndrewBanks wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 8:17 am
Paul McKeown wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:59 am
In our household, in the eternal battle of more screen-time, chess took a backseat to Roblox...

But I do hope that, as restrictions are lifted, you'll be able to restart the OTB RapidPlays soon :-)
Andrew,

Richmond Juniors hopes to run the following events live:
  • Tuesday 3 August - Friday 6 August - Summer Camp Week 1
  • Sunday 8 August - Richmond Rapidplay RR132
  • Monday 9 August - Friday 13 August - Summer Camp Week 1
  • Saturdays 11 September - 4 December, except 23 October - Richmond Junior Chess Club
  • Saturday 16 October - Hampton LJCC Qualifier
  • Sunday 17 October - Richmond Rapidplay RR133
  • Saturday 4 December - Twickenham LJCC Qualifier
  • Saturday 18 December - RB13 - Rik Thomas Memorial
Please note that these dates remain tentative, depending on the progress of lifting of the government's Covid-19 restrictions, but we are accepting returnable 25% deposits.

Please also note that we intend the RB13 Rik Memorial Blitz on the Saturday before Christmas to be a big event with a large prize fund. We anticipate a £600 first prize for this event, and hope it will achieve national significance.

AndrewBanks

Post by AndrewBanks » Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:10 pm

Dates all noted, thanks Paul. Hopefully will see you for the two RRs - unfortunately, Saturdays are already booked with Dance/Ballet :(

And no, not for me :-D

AndrewBanks

Post by AndrewBanks » Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:39 pm

Paul McKeown wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 6:20 pm
Richmond Juniors hopes to run the following events live:
  • Sunday 17 October - Richmond Rapidplay RR133
Hi Paul, is this confirmed?

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:09 am

Sorry Andrew - we will be getting restarted with the Rapidplays in February 2022. The Blitz is going ahead - see the next post!