Just wondering!

General discussions about ratings.
Arnav Sud

Just wondering!

Post by Arnav Sud » Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:39 am

I saw my results from the Frome congress published recently and even though I drew against opponents much higher rated than me (diff. of about 200), I only gained about 4 to 5 points per game. Screenshot attached.

Just wondering whether the FIDE ELO table is the same and whether similar results would lead to a similar change in rating?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Club Secretary - Bristol Four Knights
https://bristolfourknights.co.uk

Roger de Coverly

Re: Just wondering!

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:03 am

Arnav Sud wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:39 am

Just wondering whether the FIDE ELO table is the same and whether similar results would lead to a similar change in rating?
I believe the ECF implementation uses the same tables as the FIDE implementation.

As a rule of thumb, if you beat someone of your own rating, you score 10 points and if you draw with someone around 200 above you, you score 5 points. To get the big gains, beating people 200 or more points above is the way to go. 200 above is around 15 points when you win.

Arnav Sud

Post by Arnav Sud » Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:44 am

Hmm. Seems a bit unfair that if I draw against someone who is 90 points higher rated than me I get 2 points for it! Meaning wins against higher rated players are rewarded but draws are not.

A simple simulation on excel shows that the people who are high rated end up doing less effort overall to maintain their rating even when drawing against someone far lower rated than them!

Anyway, it is what it is.

Cheers!

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:46 am

The point is that a single draw against a player rated 90 points above you is evidence that you are under-rated, but not very strong evidence, so you don't get much rating change from it. Get a whole series of results like that and your rating will go up rather faster.

Arnav Sud

Post by Arnav Sud » Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:02 am

Ya I understand but it still introduces a mathematical bias against lower rated players...

I will try and play some FIDE rated ones to objectively see how the rating moves there. End of the day its just a number!

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Mon Jun 06, 2022 5:12 pm

Arnav Sud wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:44 am
A simple simulation on excel shows that the people who are high rated end up doing less effort overall to maintain their rating even when drawing against someone far lower rated than them!
What?
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Jun 06, 2022 6:31 pm

Arnav Sud wrote:

I think you need to explain your reasoning carefully. If you look at your opponents at Frome, they lost the points that you gained.

There's a well known Grandmaster whose rating has declined over the years. Some would attribute this to his willingness to accept draws against all comers.

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Mon Jun 06, 2022 7:57 pm

Arnav Sud wrote:
Hmm. Seems a bit unfair that if I draw against someone who is 90 points higher rated than me I get 2 points for it! Meaning wins against higher rated players are rewarded but draws are not.
Eh? Both are rewarded, but wins are rewarded more.

Arnav Sud

Post by Arnav Sud » Tue Jun 07, 2022 12:39 am

Its fine guys. For a 4 digit rating, grinding a draw against a 200 points higher rated opponent, after four hours at the board and then given 4 points for it seems a little less satisfactory to me personally. Just my opinion.

Let's chill :D

David Shepherd

Post by David Shepherd » Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:45 am

In terms of FIDE rating an example of how the system works is as follows:

Player A is rated 2000 and player B 2200, K is 40 - if they play a game and player A wins she gains +30.4, but if they draw then she only gains +10.4 this seems unfair at first sight.

However suppose they play two games and the reult is 1-1, this could be achieved by a win (+30.4) and a loss (-9.6), or two draws (+10.4 x2). In both cases the gain is 20.8, which illustrates that the 10.4 is fair. It is the average of the points for a win and a loss, it is not half the amount for a win.

Arnav Sud

Post by Arnav Sud » Tue Jun 07, 2022 7:07 am

Great, thanks!

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Tue Jun 07, 2022 7:56 am

Arnav Sud wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 12:39 am
Just my opinion.
Fair enough, you are entitled to hold any opinion you like.

I think it was the "simple simulation on excel" which puzzled your readers.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

J T Melsom

Post by J T Melsom » Tue Jun 07, 2022 12:03 pm

Although these days any game can feel like a bit of a struggle, I think Arnav makes a fair point in that it doesn't always feel as if the grading system reflects the effort expended. It is not uncommon for the draw against the stronger opponent to feel like more of an achievement than the win that gives you the same grading/rating outcome.

Arnav Sud

Post by Arnav Sud » Tue Jun 07, 2022 12:16 pm

J T Melsom wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 12:03 pm
Although these days any game can feel like a bit of a struggle, I think Arnav makes a fair point in that it doesn't always feel as if the grading system reflects the effort expended. It is not uncommon for the draw against the stronger opponent to feel like more of an achievement than the win that gives you the same grading/rating outcome.
That was exactly my point. In a recent congress (Cotswold) I held a draw against someone 190+ points higher than me. The game went on from 3:00pm to 7:10 pm and for 113 moves. I held this position as White - (I knew I couldn't win) - but the opponent couldn't find the continuation. After the game a rough check revealed that I would get 4.6 points for it and I just deflated! Anyhow - here's the position - enjoy!

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:21 pm

Impressive determination on show there :)

The other thing is that even 190 points just isn't that big a strength gap. It seems to correspond to an expected score over time of about 0.25 - 0.75. So, assuming you 'never' win then you're expected to draw every other game.

(I've seen loads of games played at this sort of advantage and its very player dependent but t does seem to work out much closer to +2,=2 than +3,-1 over time.).