ECF rating of FIDE rated games played abroad
Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:56 pm
ECF rating of an ECF Members FIDE rated games played abroad
The independent home for discussions on the English Chess scene.
https://www.ecforum.org.uk/
I asked about this some months ago. The reply then was that they hadn't rebuilt this facility for the new Elo based rating system.Owen Phillips wrote: ↑Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:56 pmECF rating of an ECF Members FIDE rated games played abroad
You are far from being the only person who is unhappy. I have always been able to arrange for my games at the Guernsey International Chess Festival to be ECF graded / rated - until this year.Owen Phillips wrote: ↑Wed Nov 30, 2022 4:06 pmI understand the matter isn’t progressing hence my introducing the topic
It was raised 14 months ago, Brian Valentine as Manager of Rating responded, although that just said the facility was suspended.David Sedgwick wrote: ↑Wed Nov 30, 2022 4:22 pmHowever, I don't think that raising the issue on here is likely to have much effect. Don't forget that ECF Directors are not permitted to respond, even if they wished to do so.
The matter also appeared on Facebook recently where I wrongly said that I thought it was still possible to have this done. I was corrected by an ECF director though (no such restrictions for directors on there) and didn't get the impression that it will change anytime soon.David Sedgwick wrote: ↑Wed Nov 30, 2022 4:22 pmYou are far from being the only person who is unhappy. I have always been able to arrange for my games at the Guernsey International Chess Festival to be ECF graded / rated - until this year.Owen Phillips wrote: ↑Wed Nov 30, 2022 4:06 pmI understand the matter isn’t progressing hence my introducing the topic
However, I don't think that raising the issue on here is likely to have much effect. Don't forget that ECF Directors are not permitted to respond, even if they wished to do so.
Most of us have several representatives on the ECF Council, one way or another. Asking one of them to raise the matter directly with the relevant Directors and Officers stands a better chance of achieving something.
A while ago there was a motion before Council to remove the facility to submit foreign tournament results for grading. Possibly it was submitted by Chris Majer - certainly I recall he spoke in support. The motion was rejected by Council - maybe, even, David Sedgwick spoke against but I'm not certain. Surely, unless there was a subsequent approved motion to remove the facility, it should have remained on the switch to the four-digit rating system?LawrenceCooper wrote: ↑Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:45 pmThe matter also appeared on Facebook recently where I wrongly said that I thought it was still possible to have this done. I was corrected by an ECF director though (no such restrictions for directors on there) and didn't get the impression that it will change anytime soon.David Sedgwick wrote: ↑Wed Nov 30, 2022 4:22 pmYou are far from being the only person who is unhappy. I have always been able to arrange for my games at the Guernsey International Chess Festival to be ECF graded / rated - until this year.Owen Phillips wrote: ↑Wed Nov 30, 2022 4:06 pmI understand the matter isn’t progressing hence my introducing the topic
However, I don't think that raising the issue on here is likely to have much effect. Don't forget that ECF Directors are not permitted to respond, even if they wished to do so.
Most of us have several representatives on the ECF Council, one way or another. Asking one of them to raise the matter directly with the relevant Directors and Officers stands a better chance of achieving something.
From memory, that was in 2012, so 10 years ago. I did indeed lead the opposition to Chris Majer.Angus French wrote: ↑Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:26 pmA while ago there was a motion before Council to remove the facility to submit foreign tournament results for grading. Possibly it was submitted by Chris Majer - certainly I recall he spoke in support. The motion was rejected by Council - maybe, even, David Sedgwick spoke against but I'm not certain. Surely, unless there was a subsequent approved motion to remove the facility, it should have remained on the switch to the four-digit rating system?
In that context "abroad" also includes Wales, Scotland, Ireland, Guernsey and Jersey. Historically it was any event, not just FIDE rated ones.Owen Phillips wrote: ↑Thu Dec 22, 2022 5:30 pmGood to hear that the ECF are actively considering the necessary actions to update player's ECF Ratings based on results when they have played in FIDE events abroad.