Chris Majer returns!

General discussions about ratings.
John Upham

Chris Majer returns!

Post by John Upham » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:27 pm

Lifted from the ECF main site :

We are pleased to announce that Chris Majer has been appointed as the new Manager of Grading and Rating. Chris has previous experience of the role, as well as having been the CEO of the ECF between 2008-2010.
Chris will be managing the grading system and the implementation of the January Standardplay Grading List in 2011, as well as supporting the work of the International Rating Officer and promoting the Master Points Scheme
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

John Upham

Re: Chris Majer returns!

Post by John Upham » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:14 pm

Please note that the use of the exclamation mark was from the ECF site rather than my own annotation.

Bruce Holland

Post by Bruce Holland » Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:56 pm

Yes, this is welcome news indeed. Chris took over the running of the Grading system following Roger Edward's second stint in 1999/2000. Chris published his first list in 2001. I say his, but he would be the first to say that the success of the Grading system critically depends upon teamwork, and having been of some small service to Chris in those early years of the century I was able to observe his excellent leadership skills as part of his team. The Federation has been well blessed to have retained the services of Howard Grist, Dave Thomas, and of course Richard Hadrell throughout the first decade of the 21st Century.
Bruce Holland

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:18 pm

Welcome back Chris.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:20 pm

But yet nothing, and I start work on the new site shortly...
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:48 pm

It was January 25th, 2011 that this important news was announced.

Is anyone aware of the consequences of this return?

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:15 pm

John Upham wrote:It was January 25th, 2011 that this important news was announced.

Is anyone aware of the consequences of this return?
No, but I'm sure you're going to tell us? :wink:

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:18 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote: No, but I'm sure you're going to tell us? :wink:
I've no idea : anyone else any suggestions?

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:03 pm

Was CM to be involved in producing biannual standard play Clarke style ratings?

Would the Director of Home Chess or his Alternate be able to shed any light on this?

Adam Raoof

Post by Adam Raoof » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:31 pm

John Upham wrote:Was CM to be involved in producing biannual standard play Clarke style ratings?

Would the Director of Home Chess or his Alternate be able to shed any light on this?
Can you explain the question? ;-)

The biannual standard gradings are going to be straightforward, and the decision was taken before CM's appointment.

Some leagues might need advice on using the new grades.

I am fairly clear in my mind that for ECF competitions that eligibility should be determined by their ECF grade at the start of the season, except for those who start without a relevant official ECF grade. Once they have an ECF grade, I think they should use it, even if half way through a season.

Tournaments should use the latest grading list to determine eligibilty for sections, and if they find that the grading list is being published on the weekend of their event they can specify which list is to be used for eligibility on their entry form. However they should always use the newest grade for previously ungraded players, whenever those grades appear.
Adam Raoof IA, IO
Chess England Events - https://chessengland.com/
The Chess Circuit - https://chesscircuit.substack.com/
Don’t stop playing chess!

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:48 pm

Adam Raoof wrote: Can you explain the question? ;-)
Chris will be managing the grading system and the implementation of the January Standardplay Grading List in 2011, as well as supporting the work of the International Rating Officer and promoting the Master Points Scheme

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:55 pm

Adam Raoof wrote: Tournaments should use the latest grading list to determine eligibilty for sections, and if they find that the grading list is being published on the weekend of their event they can specify which list is to be used for eligibility on their entry form. However they should always use the newest grade for previously ungraded players, whenever those grades appear.
There are players who decide which tournaments to enter based on where they would fit in the rankings. To the extent that you like to plan ahead, a month's lead time (at least ) for eligibility would be helpful. I'm not aware that projected cut-off dates and publication dates have yet been promulgated. Is the publication target early 2012? If so, then with the league AGM season approaching, a bit of detail is needed so that leagues can check whether their competition rules need amending.

You would expect eligibility to be based on the principle of "you started so you can finish". I would be less sure about board orders but in form players are usually allowed to float up to boards higher than their August grade would suggest.

For congresses, you would use the most recent grade for pairings. This is what happens at the British rating restricted events, which are almost the only event affected by the publication date of new grades.

Alex McFarlane

Post by Alex McFarlane » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:09 pm

I totally agree with Roger that 1 month is probably enough for weekend congresses. For the British however dependant on the date of publication of the second list we may have to use the August one regardless as people have to book holiday leave some time in advance, often by December. It would be unfortunate to have someone book a weeks leave to discover you couldn't play in the appropriate Graded Championship.

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:59 pm

Adam Raoof wrote: The biannual standard gradings are going to be straightforward, and the decision was taken before CM's appointment.
Was it decided if the list was going to be based on a year's worth, or six month's worth, of games? If the latter you are theoretically going to have to play 60 games a year, a practically a lot more, to maintain an "A" grade.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:16 pm

Richard Bates wrote:
Adam Raoof wrote: The biannual standard gradings are going to be straightforward, and the decision was taken before CM's appointment.
Was it decided if the list was going to be based on a year's worth, or six month's worth, of games? If the latter you are theoretically going to have to play 60 games a year, a practically a lot more, to maintain an "A" grade.
Richard Haddrell is of the opinion (or was, as of the 2010 ECF AGM) that it'll be calculated in the same way as the rapidplay grades. So you'd get a * grade by playing 30 in a 6-month period, and A if you played 30 over the course of a full season.