Six-monthly rapidplay list

General discussions about ratings.
Chris Majer

Post by Chris Majer » Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:00 pm

If we update grades every six months, then why don't we calculate the grade over the six month period provided 30 or more games have been played :?:

Chris
Chris Majer
ECF Chief Executive

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:10 pm

There should be an open and a private forum now....

Not sure which one this is?

Regards
Carl

NevilleB

Post by NevilleB » Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:20 pm

If I recall correctly the last time there was a six-monthly rapidplay list, there was another grading category, 'R' for rapidly improving covering 30 games over the last 6 months

Rgds

Neville Belinfante

Howard Grist

Post by Howard Grist » Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:17 pm

Neville,

Your recollection is sort of correct. It wasn't just for rapid improvers - your grade could go down as well as up. It was just for juniors.

I think it would be best to wait and see what comes out of the grading 'anomalies' investigation.

Howard

Chris Majer

Council proposal for six-monthly standardplay lists

Post by Chris Majer » Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:24 pm

Extract from paper to Council

Firstly, a thank you from the ECF Board for all of you who contributed to the January 2007 rapidplay list. The list was a success in that more than 90% of events were received by the deadline. I didn’t receive a single comment on the list, which I actually considered to be a sign of success. When things go wrong my in-box fills up with mail! I intend to produce rapidplay lists at six-monthly intervals from now on.

On the basis of the success of the rapidplay list, I considered that it was appropriate that a proposal should be brought to Council to produce six-monthly standard play lists as well. Why, I hear you ask? Well here are some reasons:
a) A previous survey indicated that 2/3 of chess players wanted more frequent grades.
b) Periodically, junior organisers ask me why we don’t do this. I am told that more frequent grades will encourage juniors.
c) With FIDE producing rating lists every three months, it puts the ECF in a poor light when we are only able to produce lists every year.
d) It is inconsistent to produce six-monthly lists for rapidplay and not for standard play.
e) It seemed timely to review the ECF policy on the frequency of grading lists.
In bringing such a proposal to Council, I am conscious that:
1. Six-monthly standard play grades can only work if they are supported by the leagues and in particular their graders. It would be necessary for graders to submit a batch of results at the mid-season point. This plainly has significant implications for graders as well as for other league officers.
2. This change may also require graders to provide dates for games rather than using one date for an entire league.
3. The existing central grading database does not have the date of all games played in the last three years and therefore there may be some minor transitional oddities in how to apportion a year's games to a six-month period. This effect would of course disappear in time

As part of the bringing this proposal to Council, all local graders have been asked for their views. Out of some 100 or so graders, 27 replied. About 40% expressed concern either about the extra workload and whether they could get hold of the necessary information in mid-season; the rest saw no problem. However, only about 40% of graders saw the change as desirable, the main concern being the problems caused to player eligibility for leagues by a change of grader in mid-season.

If voting for this proposal, league delegates need be clear that there are committing their league secretary and grader to making the results available to the ECF in a timely fashion. Plainly if your league officers can’t find the time then you should vote against it. Equally, if voting against you should at least consider whether more frequent grades would be beneficial for English chess.

Proposal: Council authorises the ECF Manager of Grading and Rating to proceed with the publication of six-monthly standard play grading lists commencing in January 2008.
Chris Majer
ECF Chief Executive

Gary Cook

Post by Gary Cook » Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:19 pm

Chris
If 6-monthly grading lists came into being, what would happen if a league didn't send in a mid-season return, but left everything until the end? Would the games played in the first six-months be discounted?
Gary

NevilleB

Post by NevilleB » Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:04 pm

Chris

You have my votes at Council, because as you said it is of major benefit to juniors who can change rapidly. However I have one question...

If grades change midseason, does that mean that players who were eligible to play in the grade limited sections of the county championships and club championships might be unable to play after the grades change?

Regards

Neville B

Chris Majer

Questions on six-monthly grades

Post by Chris Majer » Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:33 pm

Responding to some questions
Chris
If 6-monthly grading lists came into being, what would happen if a league didn't send in a mid-season return, but left everything until the end? Would the games played in the first six-months be discounted?
Gary
All games would be graded when the results were submitted.
If grades change midseason, does that mean that players who were eligible to play in the grade limited sections of the county championships and club championships might be unable to play after the grades change?
The rules of the county championship already address this point. The grade at the start of the season applies; not any subsequent amended/corrected grade.

regards
Chris Majer
ECF Chief Executive