Automatic game fee calculation considering ecf members

General discussions about ratings.
NevilleB

Automatic game fee calculation considering ecf members

Post by NevilleB » Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:52 pm

This weekend I am one of the controllers at the South of England Junior Championships at Yateley Manor School. Afterwards, the organisor Joe French will ask me how much game fee is due. This will be extremely time-consuming to work out because there are 200+ players who have to be checked against the 2200+ players in the official ECF membership list, to see how many are exempt from payment.

How long would it take software to be written so that
1 - A list of who is and is not a member is part of the feedback when the tournament is submitted for grading
2 - An estimated game fee calculation based on the tournament type and number of non-members is part of the feedback also.

This is not the first time I have asked for these

Regards

Neville Belinfante

Howard Grist

Post by Howard Grist » Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:32 pm

Neville,

As it happens, I am looking at more or less this very issue as I am typing this. It's slightly complicated by

1) There is no publicised way of a grader telling the grading system what sort of event it is.
2) The ECF membership list is not particularly up to date, and even if it was, the version of it in the grading system wouldn't be. At present there is a 2.5% discount for payment within 28 days, but it could well take 6 weeks until a new member actually gets logged as such on the grading database.

However it seems reasonable to append a comment to say that according to the membership list imported on <specified date> then <specified number> of games were played by DMs.

It could be done before your event's over.

Howard

NevilleB

Post by NevilleB » Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:28 pm

Thanks for this. It will be very useful.
Howard wrote: 1) There is no publicised way of a grader telling the grading system what sort of event it is.
You know whether it is longplay or rapidplay which is a start. You could also guess it is a junior event, if the dates of birth of all players makes them all juniors. Also you could guess it is a club event if the word club appears in the event name.
Howard wrote: 2) The ECF membership list is not particularly up to date, and even if it was, the version of it in the grading system wouldn't be. At present there is a 2.5% discount for payment within 28 days, but it could well take 6 weeks until a new member actually gets logged as such on the grading database.
I am aware of delays with the ECF membership list because I spend a lots of time checking players in the 4ncl against it. Therefore I would regard any information based on it as best information rather that definitive truth.

Does a player's membership details get on the grading database at the same time as their names appears on the published list?

Regards

Neville Belinfante

Howard Grist

Post by Howard Grist » Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:28 pm

Neville wrote:You know whether it is longplay or rapidplay which is a start. You could also guess it is a junior event, if the dates of birth of all players makes them all juniors. Also you could guess it is a club event if the word club appears in the event name.
I do know all this but I don't see that telling the grader the exact amount is that helpful. All that would be saved for all the guesswork on my part is one multiplication.
Neville wrote:Does a player's membership details get on the grading database at the same time as their names appears on the published list?
No. The list on the web site is updated weekly. The list in the grading database is updated monthly.

Howard

NevilleB

Post by NevilleB » Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:15 am

Howard

What is the latest news on this please? The sample you sent me with the 4ncl results was very useful. The next event I am likely to be grading in is the BCF Under 18s and Under 13s intercounty after next weekend.

Regards

Neville B

Howard Grist

Post by Howard Grist » Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:34 pm

Neville,

The player membership lists have been included in the graders' feedback for the last month.

Howard