Problems Accessing the ECF Grading Database?

General discussions about ratings.
MartinCarpenter

Re: Problems Accessing the ECF Grading Database?

Post by MartinCarpenter » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:02 pm

I suspect more likely to be excessive amounts of raw data than actually excessive usage :) There really is an awful lot of the former and surely not enormous amounts of the latter.

Robin Williams

Post by Robin Williams » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:20 pm

OK, that makes sense :-)

Will the ECF need to upgrade their server, or can they maybe partition the games table to make it less resource intensive?
e.g. https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/librar ... rti_topic4

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:47 pm

MartinCarpenter wrote:I suspect more likely to be excessive amounts of raw data than actually excessive usage :) There really is an awful lot of the former and surely not enormous amounts of the latter.
The issue is neither your idea of enormous really isn't in this day and age.
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:52 pm

The database here is four times the size of the grading one.
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Michael Flatt

Post by Michael Flatt » Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:35 pm

My enquiries on the ECF Forum elicited a curt response, effectively saying that the work was in hand but not giving any details of what the problem is nor how it will be resolved.

I suspect that the real problem is that the ECF have no Manager to oversee IT Services.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:55 pm

Michael Flatt wrote: I suspect that the real problem is that the ECF have no Manager to oversee IT Services.
That may be only part of problem, the additional problem being that any such manager has to know what they are talking about and be able to deliver.

Carl's comment was sobering, that the database of all the assorted words of wisdom and nonsense on this forum is actually larger than the archive of results over a broadly similar period. So if the "official" forum ever took off, it could become a bigger performance problem than the results database.

Robin Williams

Post by Robin Williams » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:42 am

Carl Hibbard wrote: The issue is neither your idea of enormous really isn't in this day and age.
The statement on the grading site says: "The game lists have been an increasing drain on resources, culminating in a complete crash of the site for a few hours..."

So if the number of requests aren't the problem and the amount of data is relatively small, what else could be causing this "drain on resources"?

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:11 am

You'd hope that the software behind forums was sensibly robust to (very) large numbers of posts.

The grading software might be rather less so. If its some internal problem with how that scales to big grading databases it might be fairly hard to fix. Or it might just be an under resourced hardware/hosting issue. Not sure if there's any official budget for this stuff?

Mostly I'm thankful for whatever we actually get :)

David Gilbert

Post by David Gilbert » Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:43 am

Looks good. Well I like it. Well done!

Michael Flatt

Post by Michael Flatt » Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:05 am

Not fully working for me.

2015 tournaments: Standplay and Rapidplay both appear as Standardplay. It might only effect a single Goldersgreen rapidplay tournament.
2015 tournaments: Opponents grades are not displayed.

2014 tournaments: Seem OK.

"500 error" still occurs intermittently.

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:33 am

Nice looking layout, yes. Useful to be able to get the games from all the results on one page :)

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:12 pm

I'm not sure if it's a recent problem but I noticed that the option to sort players from a certain club into grade order doesn't appear to work.

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:39 pm

Relatively recent I think. Not working for me right now either though. Very useful feature of course.

Angus French

Post by Angus French » Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:51 pm

LawrenceCooper wrote:I'm not sure if it's a recent problem but I noticed that the option to sort players from a certain club into grade order doesn't appear to work.
I get the same - and, in fact, all sort requests made by a click on a column heading don't work.

Also, the display of a player's results has changed. For a game type and period (e.g. Standardplay in 2014), a list of events is shown. Display of an event's results are toggled by clicking on 'Show'/'Hide' text... Why not just display all results for all events?

Brian Valentine

Post by Brian Valentine » Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:52 pm

The system crashed in early June (again). We had to make some changes to meet the best theory of why it happened. If you've been accessing the website regularly since then you will have noticed a slow re-introduction of previous features. Work is continuing to fix the problem.

Brian
Manager ECF grading