Page 1 of 6

July 2014 gradings out

Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:30 pm
by stevencarr
Out now.

Almost everybody I know has had their grading go down. It is just a small sample, but have a lot of gradings gone down?

Re: July 2014 gradings out

Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:36 pm
by Christopher Kreuzer
Mine went up, but then that wasn't difficult - it collapsed from 170 to 144, have now recovered to 166. :mrgreen:

I did notice a new addition to the list of 'clubs' I've played for: "London E *" - what is that all about? It is a bit of a mixed bag really:

http://www.ecfgrading.org.uk/new/glist. ... 0%20%20%20*

Re: July 2014 gradings out

Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:21 pm
by MartinCarpenter
The York/Yorkshire grades are mostly up and down in accordance with normal random fluctuations.

I seem to be trying stability this list which makes a nice change from +-20 :)

Re: July 2014 gradings out

Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:38 pm
by Rob Thompson
Most of the Bristol Uni lot have gone up, though in some cases that's only because of old games dropping out of the calculation.

Re: July 2014 gradings out

Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:39 pm
by Richard Haddrell
stevencarr wrote:Almost everybody I know has had their grading go down. It is just a small sample, but have a lot of gradings gone down?
About the same as have gone up, at a guess. Mean grades, Jan 2014: Standard 132, Rapid 103. July 2014: Standard 133, Rapid 104. Last year's July figures were the same as this year's. I hope to publish more detail shortly on the SCCU website.

Re: July 2014 gradings out

Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:40 pm
by Roger de Coverly
Christopher Kreuzer wrote: I did notice a new addition to the list of 'clubs' I've played for: "London E *" - what is that all about? It is a bit of a mixed bag really:
The * indicates a place, so someone has attributed a number of games to players living in London E.

If you set the include ungraded players flag, you get a lot more entries, including some from the earliest days of the coding system. So there's a four character code 0270 in the system with the meaning London E (place). Somehow this code has been brought to life. Apart from applying to a number of "London Deaf" members, there's not an obvious correlation.

Re: July 2014 gradings out

Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:42 pm
by MartinCarpenter
University players do often just improve :)
(ps - you can see what I meant about Matthew Webb's form this season!).

Re: July 2014 gradings out

Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:07 pm
by Andy Price
A big pat on the back and thank you to the graders for such a quick turn-around.
Most of my club (Leamington) have stayed roughly the same grade as January.
This despite being relegated (don't know what that indicates).

Re: July 2014 gradings out

Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:21 pm
by Jonathan Bryant
I’m down three standard play, up three rapidplay.

Re: July 2014 gradings out

Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:45 pm
by Richard Haddrell
Roger de Coverly wrote:
Christopher Kreuzer wrote:I did notice a new addition to the list of 'clubs' I've played for: "London E *" - what is that all about? It is a bit of a mixed bag really:
The * indicates a place, so someone has attributed a number of games to players living in London E.

If you set the include ungraded players flag, you get a lot more entries, including some from the earliest days of the coding system. So there's a four character code 0270 in the system with the meaning London E (place). Somehow this code has been brought to life. Apart from applying to a number of "London Deaf" members, there's not an obvious correlation.
London E* was never really dead. It's one of those codes graders use when the player doesn't have a club. Maybe a London Deaf grader got stuck in a groove at some point. Christopher's got enough proper clubs to keep anyone happy, so I've deleted his dubious London E*.

Richard Haddrell
Grading Administrator, ECF

Re: July 2014 gradings out

Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:53 pm
by David Blower
102, which is my best ever grade. Was hoping for a bit higher than that.

Re: July 2014 gradings out

Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:14 pm
by Dave Ewart
Unchanged at 156, fairly happy with that. At least I'm the Highest-Ranked Ewart again, after Brian Ewart dropped from 159 to below me :-)

Re: July 2014 gradings out

Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:27 pm
by Trefor Owens
Richard Haddrell wrote:
stevencarr wrote:Almost everybody I know has had their grading go down. It is just a small sample, but have a lot of gradings gone down?
About the same as have gone up, at a guess. Mean grades, Jan 2014: Standard 132, Rapid 103. July 2014: Standard 133, Rapid 104. Last year's July figures were the same as this year's. I hope to publish more detail shortly on the SCCU website.
On behalf of Sittingbourne Chess Club - a big thank you Richard for your continued great work

One question, which is in no way urgent, so please deal with any grading queries first - we are changing the club name from September to Swale Chess Club
will it be a straight forward process to update the database accordingly?

Many thanks

Trefor

Re: July 2014 gradings out

Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:49 pm
by David Blower
Can I ask do missing results now get counted in the January 2015 grades?

Re: July 2014 gradings out

Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:09 pm
by Rob Thompson
Dave Ewart wrote:Unchanged at 156, fairly happy with that. At least I'm the Highest-Ranked Ewart again, after Brian Ewart dropped from 159 to below me :-)
I think I'm going to have to wait until Ian Thompson retires from chess to claim that for my surname.