The July 2015 Grading List

General discussions about ratings.
David Sedgwick

Re: The July 2015 Grading List

Post by David Sedgwick » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:02 am

Brian Valentine wrote:
Carl Hibbard wrote:I am sorry to say the grading site is rather piss poor.
Well it’s not the words I would have used, but I share the sentiment. This morning we reduced the data available so that people should at least be able to check new grades.

The timing of the server transfer was delayed till August for reasons that seemed sensible at the time. There has to be some discussions, but this plan is still on track.

Brian Valentine
Manager ECF Grading
Brian gives a fuller explanation at http://www.englishchess.org.uk/Forum/vi ... ?f=4&t=361.

Like most of us, Brian is a voluntary officer who is doing his best. It's only to be expected that things will go wrong from time to time.

When they do, members are entitled to expect that the Director or Manager concerned will accept responsibility for the problems and explain what has happened. Brian has done precisely that and I for one would like to thank him.

Elsewhere on the other place, there are comments and questions about the failure to switch to the new membership year on 1st July as resolved by Council and about the apparent lack of reaction to the ECF to the now restricted access to the FIDE ratings website. On those important matters, response cometh there none.

Angus French

Post by Angus French » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:21 am

David Sedgwick wrote:Elsewhere on the other place, there are comments and questions about the failure to switch to the new membership year on 1st July as resolved by Council and about the apparent lack of reaction to the ECF to the now restricted access to the FIDE ratings website. On those important matters, response cometh there none.
Also, no minutes have been published for the Board Meetings scheduled, according to the ECF Calendar, for 18 April (same day as the Finance Council Meeting) and 29 May.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:27 am

Angus French wrote: Also, no minutes have been published for the Board Meetings scheduled, according to the ECF Calendar, for 18 April (same day as the Finance Council Meeting) and 29 May.

After the furore created by the most recent set of released minutes, the ones with the "toxic" comment about ecforum, the directors have gone back into their comfort zone of silence.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:57 am

Angus French wrote:
David Sedgwick wrote:Elsewhere on the other place, there are comments and questions about the failure to switch to the new membership year on 1st July as resolved by Council and about the apparent lack of reaction to the ECF to the now restricted access to the FIDE ratings website. On those important matters, response cometh there none.
Also, no minutes have been published for the Board Meetings scheduled, according to the ECF Calendar, for 18 April (same day as the Finance Council Meeting) and 29 May.
Can't the NEDs crack down on this?
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Greg Breed

Post by Greg Breed » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:50 pm

ECF Grading site is down as of 13:45
Hatch End A Captain (Hillingdon League)
Controller (Hillingdon League)

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:46 pm

Greg Breed wrote:ECF Grading site is down as of 13:45
The performance of the grading site on the new server is vastly improved however I would like to see the awkward URL being tidied up.

Picky yes but still correct :oops:
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Greg Breed

Post by Greg Breed » Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:13 pm

Carl Hibbard wrote:
Greg Breed wrote:ECF Grading site is down as of 13:45
The performance of the grading site on the new server is vastly improved however I would like to see the awkward URL being tidied up.

Picky yes but still correct :oops:
Agreed. It is very fast now so good job whoever is responsible!
Next step is to allow sorting again.
Hatch End A Captain (Hillingdon League)
Controller (Hillingdon League)

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:32 pm

The games link top right on a player could be more obvious as mentioned at the other place.
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:07 am

When you follow the Games link, are you supposed to be able to see the gradings of all your opponents?

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:11 am

Richard Bates wrote:When you follow the Games link, are you supposed to be able to see the gradings of all your opponents?
Something doesn't look quite right if you expect the number of games reported as being played to be broken down?

One for the grading team.
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:01 am

Richard Bates wrote:When you follow the Games link, are you supposed to be able to see the gradings of all your opponents?
When the new grades were first published, it was mentioned that this feature had been withdrawn. That was in the interests of improved server performance. I do not know if there are plans to reinstate it. For new adults, the grade used in calculations is usually their resulting grade, not so for juniors where increments are added.

http://www.englishchess.org.uk/Forum/vi ... ?f=4&t=361

Richard Haddrell

Post by Richard Haddrell » Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:07 pm

Yes. And you can, except for games played in 2015. The 2015 anomaly is unfortunate and I hope will be soon rectified. In the meantime you can always look your opponents up direct. Their Jan 2015 grades have been used in calculation, as you'd expect.
Carl Hibbard wrote:Something doesn't look quite right if you expect the number of games reported as being played to be broken down? One for the grading team.
Something doesn't, but I'd be interested to know what sort of solution Carl has in mind. In plain English, of course. I'm front of house, I don't talk program. Clearly what Carl wants is a way of determining exactly which games have gone into your grade. One solution is actually described in the Help page, under "Game Lists". It's sort method (3): by grading list. This feature was lost in the crashes and complications of the last few months, but it worked fine when it was there. Restore it? I'm front of house, and the people who do these things are working in their spare time.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:16 pm

It's a Jon although I could take a look at the source code now! Hopefully will be resolved shortly.
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:56 pm

Richard Haddrell wrote:
Yes. And you can, except for games played in 2015. The 2015 anomaly is unfortunate and I hope will be soon rectified. In the meantime you can always look your opponents up direct. Their Jan 2015 grades have been used in calculation, as you'd expect.
I can't, unless it's some sort of browser issue. Most tournaments in 2014 show the grades of my first few opponents, but few show the grades of all of them. Looking up opponents direct doesn't work if your opponent is a junior/new player.

Richard Haddrell

Post by Richard Haddrell » Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:33 am

Richard Bates wrote:
Richard Haddrell wrote:
I can't, unless it's some sort of browser issue. Most tournaments in 2014 show the grades of my first few opponents, but few show the grades of all of them.
Surely the later opponents, with grades not given, are simply the ones you played in 2015.
Looking up opponents direct doesn't work if your opponent is a junior/new player.
I was hoping no one would say Junior or New Player. This is another feature that got lost in the crashes and complications. Calculation for juniors and new players hasn't changed: it is still as set out in the online Help page. The game lists used to reflect this (see the Help page again), but no longer do. Be patient. The site is hugely faster on its new server, but there are still areas where it's got catching up to do.