July Grades

General discussions about ratings.
David Williams

Re: july grades

Post by David Williams » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:12 pm

Am I the only one unable to understand how someone graded 165 should really be under 100? Unless his name is Michael Adams and he has only actually played half the games attributed to him.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:54 pm

David Williams wrote:Am I the only one unable to understand how someone graded 165 should really be under 100?
The League or its grader incorrectly named him as playing on a high board when in reality he didn't play at all. The grades for the players whose results were attributed to him may also be incorrect by a point or few, as will those of the players he was purported to have played.

It isn't known whether this was a one-off error or whether all results shown for that league are suspect.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:58 pm

Mistakes happen of course. My favourite was when a County grader incorrectly merged two players with similar names, despite the fact that they had played each other during the season. This was in the good old days when you sent actual results in.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:55 am

Brian Towers wrote:Sounds like you need some form of league management software with automatic feeding of results into the grading system ;-)
Angus French wrote:Though it will still be necessary for players to be correctly identified!
Alex Holowczak wrote:Except of course, on LMS, we'll be requiring everyone to put the check letter in first before the numbers, rather than the way you're all used to, and I'll be aggressively batting away any comments suggesting that we might want to do it differently. :lol:
My grading code is 118670L. Under the LMS you will be insisting that this becomes L118670 and “aggressively batting away” anyone who suggests that this is a rather pointless change.

I fail to understand how this will help if I didn’t play the game(s) in question.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:03 am

David Sedgwick wrote: I fail to understand how this will help if I didn’t play the game(s) in question.
The exact nature of the problems with the grading submission for the North Circular League have yet to be made public. Suffice it to say that results loaded to the ecfgrading site for that league have to be regarded with suspicion.

Bob Eames is a well known player who I believe participates in that league. It seems unlikely that his sole appearance was in the C division drawing with a player graded 110.

Angus French

Post by Angus French » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:35 am

David Sedgwick wrote:
Brian Towers wrote:Sounds like you need some form of league management software with automatic feeding of results into the grading system ;-)
Angus French wrote:Though it will still be necessary for players to be correctly identified!
Alex Holowczak wrote:Except of course, on LMS, we'll be requiring everyone to put the check letter in first before the numbers, rather than the way you're all used to, and I'll be aggressively batting away any comments suggesting that we might want to do it differently. :lol:
My grading code is 118670L. Under the LMS you will be insisting that this becomes L118670 and “aggressively batting away” anyone who suggests that this is a rather pointless change.

I fail to understand how this will help if I didn’t play the game(s) in question.
Ah, I'm guessing Alex was joking following his recent discussion with Roger on user interface design - see here.

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:27 am

There was a smiley as well!

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:56 pm

Mistakes happen but perhaps they will get corrected quicker. With computers there was always the chance of garbage in garbage out.

I cannot remember when my grade was as low as it currently is so I may look at some major/minor tournaments for a change.

Not sure how extra checks on grading will help. In my current situation I remember more games played decades ago than moves played in the last few weeks. Generally spend a few minutes trying to recall whether I have played an opponent before becomes quite unproductive.

Anyway if results in certain leagues and competitions are incorrect if will affect all their opponents actual grades for the half-season.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:51 pm

Nick Grey wrote: Not sure how extra checks on grading will help.
Those of us who keep a personal database of our games can check very easily that all games are present. If you find that a League or Congress isn't present or the results mangled, that's an easy validation. With Congresses most results are now loaded within a month or two of the event taking place, so validation is taking place continuously.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:10 pm

David Sedgwick wrote:

Angus French wrote:Ah, I'm guessing Alex was joking following his recent discussion with Roger on user interface design - see here.
Michael Farthing wrote:There was a smiley as well!
The smiley baffled me as much as the post. I couldn't see anything remotely amusing in Alex's suggestion.

Angus, thank you for the explanation.

I have now noted that all dates should be written [year] - 04 - 01. :shock:

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:45 pm

Ah, I see your bafflement now David.

IanCalvert

Re: July Grades

Post by IanCalvert » Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:50 pm

It is great that the definitive grading list has arrived.

Does anyone have a cunning plan to reduce late submission of games to the ECF grading team ? :)

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:57 pm

IanCalvert wrote:It is great that the definitive grading list has arrived.

Does anyone have a cunning plan to reduce late submission of games to the ECF grading team ? :)

Yes, organise the tournaments / congresses / matches / games to be played earlier in the season. :D

Geoff C. is bound to have a more pragmatic solution.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:41 pm

IanCalvert wrote: Does anyone have a cunning plan to reduce late submission of games to the ECF grading team ?
It wasn't that the results were not submitted, they weren't correct. Enabling those involved to view the results submitted usually detects any problems. That's not something the URS system allows and is a likely reason why it will be disregarded by everyone other than its sponsors.

Julie Denning

Post by Julie Denning » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:13 am

I'm breathing easier at last!

I'm pleased to see that the August update has arrived and it appears that the problems following my computer issues have been resolved with my re-submitted files. However, I note that many players from my (Sussex) patch have slightly modified grades, so if you're from Sussex please check your grade in the latest list.

Once again, apologies for the earlier errors which were down to me.