ECF Grading Database website URL links

General discussions about ratings.
Robert Jurjevic

ECF Grading Database website URL links

Post by Robert Jurjevic » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:20 pm

Hello,

I am trying to obtain an URL link which would list all active Ashtead Chess Club players in standard grade descending order.

The best I came up with is

http://www.ecfgrading.org.uk/new/glist. ... shtead#top

but as it would seem I am getting all of the players and not sorted by grade.

May I ask if anybody would know the exact syntax?

Thanks.

Regards,
Robert Jurjevic
Vafra

John McKenna

Re: ECF Grading Database website URL links

Post by John McKenna » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:14 pm

Hi Robert, you seem to be a great proponent of string theory. You could just do the following manual procedure -

At the ECF Grading Database site put Ashtead into the search box then click Find Club... that will give you a choice of 2 Ashteads, click the one without an * and you'll get an alphabetical list of players... click twice on the (active) column header 'standard' and you should get what you're after.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:53 pm

Looks like it might be a CSS trick so no is the answer.
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Michael Flatt

Post by Michael Flatt » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:16 pm

You can get a better looking page by using the 'bookmark' facility on the ECF Database page:
http://www.ecfgrading.org.uk/new/menu.p ... &Code=7008

Having done that, clicking the the column heading 'Standard' will sort the players into grade order (ascending). A second click will reverse the list order (descending).

The person best able to respond to your query would be the programmer who created the ECF Database page. The Grading Manager Brian Valentine might be able to put you into contact, if you ask him.

Angus French

Post by Angus French » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:09 am

I believe Jon Griffith wrote the web interface to the grading database and is the person to ask: [email protected].

Also, I would guess someone must have have written something, with a web interface, to query data in an html table and present the result in html...

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:43 am

Angus French wrote:I believe Jon Griffith wrote the web interface to the grading database and is the person to ask: [email protected].

Also, I would guess someone must have have written something, with a web interface, to query data in an html table and present the result in html...
Yes, indeed they have !
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Robert Jurjevic

Post by Robert Jurjevic » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:43 pm

Michael Flatt wrote:You can get a better looking page by using the 'bookmark' facility on the ECF Database page:
http://www.ecfgrading.org.uk/new/menu.p ... &Code=7008

Having done that, clicking the the column heading 'Standard' will sort the players into grade order (ascending). A second click will reverse the list order (descending).

The person best able to respond to your query would be the programmer who created the ECF Database page. The Grading Manager Brian Valentine might be able to put you into contact, if you ask him.
Thanks a lot. :) This looks nice and shall do for now (on second thought an alphabetical player surname order may be more appropriate than a descending player standard grade order). Please note that I need the link for the Ashtead Chess Club web site (that is why I needed all parameters in the line). Thanks once again to all who tried to help. :)
Robert Jurjevic
Vafra

Jon Griffith

Post by Jon Griffith » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:42 pm

Thank you readers for explaining how to navigate the website.

All the links are coloured red, so clicking anything red goes somewhere or does something. Richard Haddrell believed in copious help pages, but my hope is that "click-it-and-see" is an attractive way for users to teach themselves to navigate.

The "List of Club Players" is generated from the database in alphabetical order. To get grade order you can click on the column-heading, but the re-sorting is done locally in your own browser by javascript. So these re-sorted tables cannot presently be bookmarked.

In future I plan to rationalise the use of the "Back" and "Forward" buttons, and simplify bookmarking sub-pages, so maybe this would become possible.
Jon Griffith
Yorkshire Grader

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:08 pm

Some players have lots of clubs so you may have to pick up those that have it as 5 or 6th on list etc. I suspect you can put several queries together. The point is you play in the same league as my club so have to have registration for the league in advance. We have notified SCCA of our multi-club players.
Of course it helps if you know your players that are no longer active (at least for your club) before the season starts as well as any new players.