Page 1 of 5

new grades wow brandon clarke shot up 206

Posted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:43 pm
by Ian Lamb
brandon clark 206 new grade big jump .what your view on this ?

Re: new grades wow brandon clarke shot up 206

Posted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:45 pm
by Carl Hibbard
Ian Lamb wrote:brandon clark 206 new grade big jump .what your view on this ?
Well as it's 142 games perhaps a Junior one that is actually right :roll:

Re: new grades wow brandon clarke shot up 206

Posted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:50 pm
by Ian Lamb
yes he a good player i agree just a big rise bit like callum killpatrick 234 seems big but maybe had some good results .

Re: new grades wow brandon clarke shot up 206

Posted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:54 pm
by Paul McKeown
Shouldn't this thread really have been started in the Grading Forum :?:
Cheers,
P.

Re: new grades wow brandon clarke shot up 206

Posted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:04 pm
by Carl Hibbard
Paul McKeown wrote:Shouldn't this thread really have been started in the Grading Forum :?:
Cheers,
P.
Yes, they are now

Re: new grades wow brandon clarke shot up 206

Posted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:06 pm
by John Upham
Ian Lamb wrote:brandon clark 206 new grade big jump .what your view on this ?
Ian,
Are you going to create a new thread on each individual player of interest? I hope not.

Re: new grades wow brandon clarke shot up 206

Posted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:10 pm
by Ian Lamb
no just picked brandon as was a big move that all.

Re: new grades wow brandon clarke shot up 206

Posted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:54 pm
by Nick Thomas
There are some strange looking junior grades including callum killpatrick 234 which has been mentioned and Richard Weaving top of the junior rapidplay list (228). Richard's true rapidplay strength is about 170 -180 I would guess.

Brandon is probably not the best example of a strange rise as he was certainly underrated last season and is improving very rapidly. I would estimate his strength (compared to myself and others who have ended up around 200 this year) to be about 190. When you take into account the junior increment he's not too far off.

I was more surprised that Felix Ynojosa rose above Yang-Fan Zhou by such a large margin.

Re: new grades wow brandon clarke shot up 206

Posted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:12 pm
by Carl Hibbard
Nick Thomas wrote:There are some strange looking junior grades including callum killpatrick 234 which has been mentioned and Richard Weaving top of the junior rapidplay list (228). Richard's true rapidplay strength is about 170 -180 I would guess.
Yes that 228 is the worst one I noticed but of course it's possible over only 12 games

Re: new grades wow brandon clarke shot up 206

Posted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:33 pm
by Michele Clack
Brandon finished 3rd in the Worcestershire Open of 25/26 July. He was just behind John Pitcher and Lawrence Cooper so I don't think that can be far wrong.

Re: new grades wow brandon clarke shot up 206

Posted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:52 pm
by Carl Hibbard
michele clack wrote:Brandon finished 3rd in the Worcestershire Open of 25/26 July. He was just behind John Pitcher and Lawrence Cooper so I don't think that can be far wrong.
It probably is Michele, however is a 228 grade over just 12 games a true reflection of a player (even juniors....) strength?

Re: new grades wow brandon clarke shot up 206

Posted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:03 pm
by Neill Cooper
Though Brandon's rapid play grade has gone down from 211 to 205.
Is he getting worse at rapid play? Or was 211 last year an over-estimate?

Re: new grades wow brandon clarke shot up 206

Posted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:20 pm
by Nick Thomas
Neill Cooper wrote:Though Brandon's rapid play grade has gone down from 211 to 205.
Is he getting worse at rapid play? Or was 211 last year an over-estimate?
I don't think the 211 was right although his "official" 186 was about right.
michele clack wrote:Brandon finished 3rd in the Worcestershire Open of 25/26 July. He was just behind John Pitcher and Lawrence Cooper so I don't think that can be far wrong.
That's about a par result for him as his true strength is probably about 190 at the moment.

By the way he's leading the European Union Youth Championships at the moment with 6/7

http://www.chess-results.com/tnr23970.a ... -1&wi=1000

Re: new grades wow brandon clarke shot up 206

Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:39 pm
by Michele Clack
That's about a par result for him as his true strength is probably about 190 at the moment.

By the way he's leading the European Union Youth Championships at the moment with 6/7
I must have a look at the European reports. I noticed there is a prominent link on the ECF homepage, which is excellent.

If there is a 10 point junior uplift for a 13 year old, which I think is the figure, then your estimate of 190 +10=200 is just 6 points shy of his published grade. Since he played 142 games I'd have said that his grade is probably pretty accurate. A 3% variance could just be sampling error as you won't have seen all his games.

Ian (my husband) thinks Brandon was a little unlucky at Bromsgrove as he played Lawrence Cooper as black in the first round, which was his only loss. I was tied up in a long battle in my first game but Ian finished early and watched a lot of it and he was impresed with Brandon's play even though he lost in the end. It would be interesting to hear what Lawrence thinks his current strength is likely to be.

To me the inference seems to be that the new grades are OK for juniors who have played a fair few games.

Re: new grades wow brandon clarke shot up 206

Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:44 pm
by Nick Thomas
michele clack wrote:
That's about a par result for him as his true strength is probably about 190 at the moment.

By the way he's leading the European Union Youth Championships at the moment with 6/7
I must have a look at the European reports. I noticed there is a prominent link on the ECF homepage, which is excellent.

If there is a 10 point junior uplift for a 13 year old, which I think is the figure, then your estimate of 190 +10=200 is just 6 points shy of his published grade. Since he played 142 games I'd have said that his grade is probably pretty accurate. A 3% variance could just be sampling error as you won't have seen all his games.

Ian (my husband) thinks Brandon was a little unlucky at Bromsgrove as he played Lawrence Cooper as black in the first round, which was his only loss. I was tied up in a long battle in my first game but Ian finished early and watched a lot of it and he was impresed with Brandon's play even though he lost in the end. It would be interesting to hear what Lawrence thinks his current strength is likely to be.

To me the inference seems to be that the new grades are OK for juniors who have played a fair few games.
Well I don't believe his strength was 190 while he was playing most of those 142 games (and I saw the majority of them), I think he is about 190 now (compared to adults who are around that mark now). I analysed the Lawrence game with him and considering he was playing a brand new opening I thought he did pretty well (although he is clearly not as strong as Lawrence yet). I think his current grade is supposed to reflect his probable strength around December 09 time and I would estimate his strength will be about 10 points short of that.