Jeff and Nancy Cox (1935 to 2019 and 1932-2019)

Notices of deaths, death announcements and messages.
John Cox

Jeff and Nancy Cox (1935 to 2019 and 1932-2019)

Post by John Cox » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:48 am

Chessers of a certain vintage may remember Jeff as a formidable Midlands organiser of the 1970s and 1980s, and in particular as the founder of the Shropshire congress. Many juniors of the time stayed at their farmhouse in Shropshire during both this event and others (including the Forrest Cup and the British Lightning) (including, from memory, Malcolm Pein, Jim Plaskett, Byron Jacobs, Keith Arkell, Mark Hebden, the late Ian Wells and others). Nancy was also a big part of the organisation and commissariat, and in particular the legendary refreshment stall at the Shropshire congress. They were both also regular helpers at the Islington congresses and other London events.

Neither had been involved in the game for some considerable time, although they did make the occasional appearance to check that the Shropshire congress (or simply the Congress, as they always called it) was still going strong.

Keith Arkell

Re: Jeff and Nancy Cox (1935 to 2019 and 1932-2019)

Post by Keith Arkell » Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:49 pm

I was delighted to meet up with Jeff and Nancy at the Shropshire Congress again just last year, about 38 years after they kindly housed me at their farmhouse for some of the events mentioned by John.

Jeff and Nancy were lovely people who played a very signficant role in chess activities following the English Chess Explosion.

My condolences to John.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:06 pm

I am so sorry to learn of the deaths of Jeff and Nancy Cox this year.

They were valuable members of our chess community in tht era.

My condolences to John. I wish him long life.

Carl Portman

Post by Carl Portman » Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:00 pm

I had the privilege of spending some of my youth growing up in the same Shropshire Village as Jeff and Nancy (and of course my good friend John and his brother Meyrick). It is true to say that without those two special people my life could - nay would - have turned out completely differently and not for the better. They shone light in a dark place, always. It really is the case that I never met anyone like them before or since. Phenomenal intellects but seriously generous and thoughtful people. Jeff and Nancy always made me question the things I said or did - which is always a great discipline for life. They made a difference to so many people. Yes, I was one of the little urchins who helped staff that refreshment stall at the Shropshire Chess Congress with Nancy for a few years and my biggest thrill was when she told me to run and get some milk for Tony Miles. Those were also the days when Dave Rumens played. John, I think of them both all the time - but then you know that. Bright blessings to the both of them, now together once again. See you soon.