Tony Suttill

Notices of deaths, death announcements and messages.
Roger Lancaster

Tony Suttill

Post by Roger Lancaster » Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:31 pm

I've just learnt of the death of Tony Suttill, with the added information that his funeral will take place at Mortlake Crematorium at 12 noon on Friday 27 March. No flowers but any donations would be gratefully received by the Kensington and Chelsea branch of Age UK c/o W G Miller tel.: 020 7226 3886.

Tony was part of the trio, along with the late Andrew Whiteley and myself, responsible for the formation and development of Kings Head Chess Club in the late 1970's and early 1980's, during which period the club was twice national club champions. Tony would be the first to admit he wasn't a strong player but he was a very competent organiser and, as Andrew and I not infrequently had different approaches to issues arising, Tony's level head was for many years invaluable.

Tony later became Management Services Director of the British Chess Federation but, as that coincided with a period when I took a break from chess, I'll leave it to others to appraise his role there. RIP, Tony.

David Sedgwick

Re: Tony Suttill

Post by David Sedgwick » Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:42 pm

Thank you for posting this, Roger.

It is over a month since Tony Suttill's death. I have been waiting in vain for any official announcement to appear.

Paul Buswell

Post by Paul Buswell » Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:08 pm

Sad news. He was an excellent organiser, capable, level-headed, helpful and always courteous. A gentleman, one of the good guys.

PB

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:22 pm

Tony should have a formal obituary on the ECF site. I am rather busy currently. Can anybody else do the honours?

I have now written a brief formal obituary about Tony for the ECF website. No photo is included.