Adrian Jackson

Notices of deaths, death announcements and messages.
Stewart Reuben

Adrian Jackson

Post by Stewart Reuben » Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:45 pm

There is little information available about the late ADRIAN JACKSON

He used to play for Cavendish Club, but retired when his playing strength deteriorated.
He was a Physics teacher in secondary school.

Born 1959. Last rated 2218.

Ay further help would be welcome.
Last edited by Stewart Reuben on Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Richard Bates

Re: Adrian Jackson

Post by Richard Bates » Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:56 am

No info - but was he bald? Used to play the Benoni, about 200 strength? Recall playing him a fair bit in my teens.

John Saunders

Post by John Saunders » Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:21 pm

Here's a photo of Adrian Jackson from the 2001 Monarch Assurance Isle of Man International...
2001adrianjackson-9.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Personal Twitter @johnchess
Britbase https://www.britbase.info
(I prefer email to PM - contact me via this link - https://www.saund.org.uk/email.html)

Alan Walton

Post by Alan Walton » Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:34 pm

Richard Bates wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:56 am
No info - but was he bald? Used to play the Benoni, about 200 strength? Recall playing him a fair bit in my teens.
I remember playing him a lot in the mid/late nineties in local weekenders

Nigel White

Post by Nigel White » Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:37 pm

This is very sad news. He was my son's physics teacher up until my son did his A levels last summer. I only knew him from parents' evenings and similar events. He once gave a talk at the school on the history of chess, as part of a series given by the teachers on topics of interest to them, to raise money for the school charity. If I recall correctly from that talk, I think he said that he really loved chess for its theoretical aspects, rather than as a competition, which is why he had largely given up playing himself. (He didn't even run the school chess club.) Also I think he said he was self-taught having been given a chess set at a fairly late age as a child - I think he said within a few years of learning the game he was surprised to become Yorkshire U21 Champion.

Martyn Goodger

Post by Martyn Goodger » Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:48 am

Sad news. I became acquainted with Adrian at the British Championships in Edinburgh in 2003. Neither of us knew many other people there, so most nights the two of us went out for dinner together. I enjoyed his company. Sometimes in these circumstances you end up talking about everything but chess; other times (as with me and Adrian) the conversation was mostly about the chess world. After the Championships we occasionally saw each other at other chess events but usually had no more than a quick exchange of pleasantries. I hadn’t realised that he had long retired from the game.

(Coincidentally, I think I may be the person in the background of John’s photograph of Adrian above.)

Saul Richman

Post by Saul Richman » Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:09 pm

No way.
I can't believe it.
I played with Adrian regularly on the British Airways team in the 1990s based at Heathrow.
He was Board 1.
We had great trips to Germany, Austria and Iceland together in the ASCA Airline Sports and Cultural Association.

Does anyone know the cause of death - he was a fit slim non-smoker and I don't even remember him touching alcohol?
RIP Adrian - a pleasure to have you on my side.

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:38 am

This is very sad news. I remember Adrian as having impeccable board manners, a polite but tough opponent. I remember playing against him in the Thames Valley League when he represented British Airways and then, I think Hounslow, after the BA club had folded. I also remember talking with him at Cavendish, whom he also represented. I think he may also have played years ago in a 4NCL Div. 2 or 3 team. I can't believe he has passed on, many years too soon. Condolences to his nearest and dearest.

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:34 am

Paul McKeown wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:38 am
I think he may also have played years ago in a 4NCL Div. 2 or 3 team.
Guildford, as my team-mate, for roughly 10 years from 2000.