Robert Chaloner (Bob) Pentecost 1935-2020
Posted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:03 pm
I learned recently that my one-time fellow-employee and partner in chess crime passed on earlier this year, a couple of months shy of 85. I’ve written about him before in various other threads on this site, but in this latest piece I’ll stick to his chess-related activities.
Bob was a strong and tenacious player, rating at his peak in the old 4a grade (193-200), though I believe that didn’t last long. When I first came to know him in the mid-1970s, at the Department of Education, he’d dropped as low as 155, enabling him to play in the Major tournament at the 1972 Evening Standard congress, and take a high place. Subsequently his grading recovered to over 170. Throughout these vicissitudes, and despite never bothering too much about opening theory, he remained very hard to beat.
It was as a match captain that he really stood out. For all his personal foibles (which others will no doubt recollect) he had an undeniable knack for getting out a good team and motivating them to bring home the silverware. The Lewisham club’s successes in the Kent County Cup during the 70s owed much to his organisation and drive. The Education Dept team in the Civil Service League usually did well too under his guidance, although his results-driven approach (which I shared) was sometime at odds with the views of the stuffier types on the committee there.
Some years later, after I’d emigrated to New Zealand, Bob became secretary to the SCCU. Other contributors to the Forum may have memories of his tenure in that role. It was around this time that he changed his last name to Lee-Pentecost, in homage to the Confederate general.
Bob was also a notable figure on the social side of chess in SE London. His “HQ”, a spacious if rather run-down top-floor flat in Longton Grove, Sydenham, where he virtually kept open house, was for many years a well-known gathering place. Chess players of all kinds (not just from the Lewisham club) were nearly always assured of a welcome there, a meal of sorts, and - if wanted - a place to lay their heads for the night amongst all the clutter (mostly books) that occupied much of the space. There was usually at least one of them sharing the place in semi-permanent residence, sometimes more. Three chess-boards and a clock always stood on the long table ready for use, and now and then there’d be a bridge foursome going as well. I remember many lively evenings there.
A mass of contradictions, often a controversial character, with some very decided and unpopular views about politics, history and current affairs, Bob was nonetheless at bottom a good-hearted type, and could be generous to a fault with those he took to. Colourful personalities like his seem to have become increasingly rare, possibly because they are so forcefully and humourlessly slapped down nowadays. I for one am sorry that he’s gone, and that his later years were troubled to the extent that they apparently were.
Bob was a strong and tenacious player, rating at his peak in the old 4a grade (193-200), though I believe that didn’t last long. When I first came to know him in the mid-1970s, at the Department of Education, he’d dropped as low as 155, enabling him to play in the Major tournament at the 1972 Evening Standard congress, and take a high place. Subsequently his grading recovered to over 170. Throughout these vicissitudes, and despite never bothering too much about opening theory, he remained very hard to beat.
It was as a match captain that he really stood out. For all his personal foibles (which others will no doubt recollect) he had an undeniable knack for getting out a good team and motivating them to bring home the silverware. The Lewisham club’s successes in the Kent County Cup during the 70s owed much to his organisation and drive. The Education Dept team in the Civil Service League usually did well too under his guidance, although his results-driven approach (which I shared) was sometime at odds with the views of the stuffier types on the committee there.
Some years later, after I’d emigrated to New Zealand, Bob became secretary to the SCCU. Other contributors to the Forum may have memories of his tenure in that role. It was around this time that he changed his last name to Lee-Pentecost, in homage to the Confederate general.
Bob was also a notable figure on the social side of chess in SE London. His “HQ”, a spacious if rather run-down top-floor flat in Longton Grove, Sydenham, where he virtually kept open house, was for many years a well-known gathering place. Chess players of all kinds (not just from the Lewisham club) were nearly always assured of a welcome there, a meal of sorts, and - if wanted - a place to lay their heads for the night amongst all the clutter (mostly books) that occupied much of the space. There was usually at least one of them sharing the place in semi-permanent residence, sometimes more. Three chess-boards and a clock always stood on the long table ready for use, and now and then there’d be a bridge foursome going as well. I remember many lively evenings there.
A mass of contradictions, often a controversial character, with some very decided and unpopular views about politics, history and current affairs, Bob was nonetheless at bottom a good-hearted type, and could be generous to a fault with those he took to. Colourful personalities like his seem to have become increasingly rare, possibly because they are so forcefully and humourlessly slapped down nowadays. I for one am sorry that he’s gone, and that his later years were troubled to the extent that they apparently were.