Nigel Byrne

Notices of deaths, death announcements and messages.
Simon Rogers

Nigel Byrne

Post by Simon Rogers » Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:28 pm

It has sadly been announced on the Birmingham & District Chess League website, that Nigel Byrne has died.
He passed away on Sunday 27th September from a suspected heart attack at the age of 63.
Nigel played for Solihull Chess Club as well as being Assistant Secretary.
Nigel played in the Leamington & District League, Dudley and District League, Cannock League and also the Birmingham & District League.
Nigel also played for the Warwickshire county team.
Condolences to his family and friends.
There is a nice tribute on the Birmingham & District Chess League website, from John Green, Secretary of Solihull Chess Club.

MSoszynski

Re: Nigel Byrne

Post by MSoszynski » Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:54 am

Nigel Byrne was also a Member of Sutton Coldfield Chess Club at the time of his passing. He will be very, very much missed by everyone at the Club.

Here he is back in March 2018 —happier times! — with some of the trophies that he helped Sutton Coldfield to win.
nigelbyrnetrophies.png
nigelbyrnetrophies.png (187.15 KiB) Viewed 600 times

ben.graff

Re: Nigel Byrne

Post by ben.graff » Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:42 pm

I was very fond of Nigel and we played a number of interesting games over the years. Nigel's warmth and generosity of spirit touched everyone he met. Walking into the Solihull Club to be greeted by Nigel at the bar was a highlight of many a winter's evening for me. He was just so friendly and welcoming and fun to be around. A real chess person and a massive part of the Leamington and District Chess community. I remember turning up early for a match one night and watching as Nigel finished off a lesson with the Solihull juniors. Anyone could see both how much he loved the game and what a brilliant, natural teacher he was. Nigel gave so much, and above all I will remember his kindness. He was a superb role model for his club, the Leamington League and chess more generally.

The team Nigel captained actually won their LCDL Division last season. We will find a proper way to mark this when the world returns to normal. I understand Solihull also plan to hold a memorial event at some point. A huge loss. Nigel, we miss and will always remember you.
Ben Graff
Author of 'The Greenbecker Gambit' and 'Find Another Place'