Nick Mitchem 1973-2020

Notices of deaths, death announcements and messages.
Richard Bates

Nick Mitchem 1973-2020

Post by Richard Bates » Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:32 pm

In this horrible year that just gets worse and worse, it is with the greatest sadness that I relay the news, that will I suspect come to as a complete shock to many, of the passing yesterday of Nick Mitchem at the tragically young age of 46, having been in hospital for a number of weeks.

Many across a wide age range will have known him from junior days, when he was a regular at the British Championships and other events (particularly when there was a strong social element), and latterly as a successful captain of the Richmond 4NCL team in the mid 2000s.

Despite not being particularly active chesswise in recent years he remained in contact with many friends In person or through social media, and many will have seen him most recently at Simon Williams’ blitz event at the Crypt last year.

I’m not sure how many will have been aware of his illness (which he revealed to a few people in autumn last year) or specifically of a dreadful worsening of the prognosis over the summer. In many ways I feel his bravery was astonishingly demonstrated by his personal reaction to the recent death of John Naylor, at a time when he was already aware of his likely fate, and (from a personal perspective) his determination to retain a presence as part of our weekly online quiz team for as long as possible including from his hospital bed.

All thoughts are with his mother and family, even more so given the circumstances of coping with the hospital experience in the time of COVID.

RIP.
Last edited by Richard Bates on Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

James Coleman

Re: Nick Mitchem 1973-2020

Post by James Coleman » Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:14 pm

This is completely awful. Had absolutely no idea anything was amiss. RIP Nick.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:14 am

Very sad news. He played in the evening event of my online birthday blitz in July and I was unaware of his illness. I also remember him as captain of Richmond whilst I was captain of Midland Monarchs back in the 1990s.

John Saunders

Post by John Saunders » Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:15 am

Most distressing news. I knew Nick from regular pub quizzes a few years ago and found him the most affable of people and excellent company. My condolences to his family and wide circle of friends. Thanks to Richard for writing an excellent obituary. RIP Nick.
Personal Twitter @johnchess
Britbase https://www.britbase.info
(I prefer email to PM - contact me via this link - https://www.saund.org.uk/email.html)

Martin Benjamin

Post by Martin Benjamin » Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:37 pm

Richard says it all perfectly. It is a tribute to Nick's courage that he carried on playing chess online as if nothing was wrong, and never made a fuss. Rest in peace, Nick.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:20 pm

Very sad to hear this, and yes a great shock. I knew Nick mostly in the 2000s as part of the Richmond chess scene, but had lost touch with him. I am glad (if that is the right word) to hear that he was able for as long as possible to keep playing chess online and taking part in quizzes, as Richard said, from his hospital bed. :( RIP.